What are you eating on your hunts this year?

LionHead

WKR
Granola and coffee for breakfast.No real lunch just snack on jerky and cliff bars

I dehydrate all my meals now.

Last weeks hunt I brought :
2x SPAGHETTI with sauce, noodles, chicken, olives and mushrooms with parmesan and a packet of olive oil on the side.

1x MASHED TATERS with broccoli and cauliflower, chicken, bacon bits and cheese powder.

1X BEEF PHO soup with rice noodles, cilantro, mint, basil, mushrooms, and new York steak jerky Sriracha and hoisin sauce.

2x CHICKEN FAJITAS with Mexican rice, bell peppers, onions, salsa and powdered cheddar cheese on tortillas.

1x GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE with chicken, cream of mushroom soup, green beans and those fancy crunchy canned onion things.

There's a few websites that offer recipes and tutorials for making your own backpacking meals. At this point my formula is a starch, a lean meat, a veggie or two and some seasonings/condiments.

It seems like a lot prep work but almost all of it is fire and forget in the dehydrator. I set it for 12 hours and go to work, Change loads when I get home. Its really hard to "over dehydrate" food thats gonna have boiling water thrown on it

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ what's the site? I've been toying around with the idea of getting a dehydrator to more customize my meals (read load them up w/ calories :D)

Going all Peak Refuel for lunch and dinner on a 6 day hunt starting today. Keeping 2 meals in original packaging to cook in but transfered all the other meals to quart ziplocs. The space savings in my food bag was incredible.

Got a good mix of bars, a couple for each day as well. Not a huge fan of chocolate/peanut butter so I go with fruit bars mostly. Lemon Lara, Think and Luna bars. Some blueberry and strawberry mixed in there too. And one snickers in case I do need a moral boost. Or it could be a buck down celebration snickers. Hoping for the latter!

Mountain house, Next mile meals, homemade bulk trail mix, honey stinger waffles, gas station snacks

ODB

WKR
Oatmeal for breakfast
pBJ sammiches
Trail mix and cheese/meat sticks for snacks.

cant do heavy meals after 6pm anymore so any mountain houses are for lunch, not dinner. Dinner is as light as possible.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Off Grid Bison meals, really good but costly...I thought what the heck, I’m worth it. Greenbelly meal2go for lunch. And Off Grid Oatmeal breakfast, also really good.

lak2004

WKR
Couple of local gals grow and dehydrate meals. Little spendy, but delicious and happy to support a local business operation.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

RealYoder

FNG
I’ve been following the ketogenic diet for nearly 3 years, not to be trendy, but to ward off Type-2 diabetes. Lost a bunch of weight 2.5 years ago and kept it off on a diet of less than 25 net carbs per day, including a DIY deer and antelope hunt in WY last year. The trick is that hunt was mostly based from a vehicle with a several mile hunt in on numerous occasions so I wasn’t carrying all my food on my back for days at a time.

This season I’m doing some more elaborate elk hunts in the Bighorn Mountains and will need some dedicated backpacking meals. I found a company selling keto-specific backpacking meals which seems novel however a bit gimmicky. May end up eating almonds and butter fat bombs for a few days straight but I found last year that food was only a vehicle to “getting full” and I didn’t care what I ate after a multi-mile pack-out through canyons in the dark with an arrival back in camp at 11:30PM!

Have you developed a food pack list yet? I’m trying to get one ready in the next week or so. Also kept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I've already made Chili and Bean and Ham soup for our camp. Taking a lot of different types of sausages for quick meals. Olympia Provisions makes great stuff.

Kelleyss

FNG
I usually just have peanut m&ms, homemade snack sticks, hydration sups, granola bars, and maybe a bag of pretzels. I'm usually day hunting so the meals are at camp and those consist of peak refuel, and backpacker's pantry.

ewade07

WKR
Something I've taken a real liking to lately is instant mashed potatoes and about half a bag of lil smoky weiners. Try it, you'll thank me.

Usually just bring an assortment of bars and pop tarts and spicy trail mix, throw in homemade goose jerky and bagel sandwiches. Don't eat breakfast out there, wastes too much time. One thing i definitely have to have is Madaglia d'oro instant expresso coffee.

Eyeman

FNG
Well just to clarify the OP said Hunt. Not camp.
Stayed in a nice Cabin with a group.
So we did evening meals up right.
Lasagna
Smallmouth fish fry
Tri tip
Chicken and Pasta
Ham and Beans
Fresh Shrimp and Boudain[the guy from Florida stopped in Louisana and bought fresh stuff]
Yes on a pack in I eat the normal Peak and Mtn House stuff and pack food.

I've been pretty tired of my usual bagels and bars lately. Tired if, as in, sitting there looking at it and just not wanting to take another bite.

I'm leaving for a few days tomorrow and mostly taking summer sausage, cheese, and apples for daytime snacks. I'll have some dehydrated dinners along but hoping not to eat very many. Breakfast is usually a probar meal bar and a cup of Cafe Bustelo instant coffee, preferably two packets and a couple of Chick-fil-A honeys.

The Clif nut butter bars I don't seem to tire of and quest bars I usually find pretty enjoyable. Otherwise, I'm trying to cut back on all the packages a little and eat some real food.

Titan_Bow

WKR
A typical days meal of mine:

**Breakfast is 2 packs instant Maple and Brown sugar oatmeal with powdered butter, dried blueberries, walnuts and hemp seeds.
**1 packet of instant Chai tea (I don’t like coffee)
**homemade energy bar made from dates, nuts and dried fruit or a Clif Builder Bar
**Lunch is peanut butter on a bagel (or tuna pack in olive oil) and jerky or dried fruit; banana, apple, mango
** another energy bar or Clif Bar
**Dinner is a homemade dehydrated meal. Venison chili or spicy Indian chicken and rice.

I pack each days meal in a gallon ziplock. Overall calorie content is around 2800-3000 calories but I can tailor that more for more strenuous trips or less.

WKR
In the daypack? Fat and protein - nuts and jerky is the standby.

I usually carry some fruit and granola bars in case I feel like I need the carbs but they often go untouched.

big217boy

FNG
I don’t take all this in for each day but I mix and match to make sure my calorie intake is where it needs to be.

- Green belly Meals 2 Go Bars
- Nido instant milk, granola, banana chips or freeze dried strawberries, dark chocolate chips, chai seeds…In quart size ziploc…add 8-12 oz of water when ready to eat
-Nescafe Tasters Choice Hazelnut instant coffee
- 2x Probar Coconut Almond butter or Probar Chocolate Peanut Butter Blend (Justin’s brand is good too…I also use windstone peanut butter packets from Walmart because of the price point)
- Starkist EVOO Tuna Pouch (lemon pepper)
- ramen noodles in quart size Freezer ziploc bag
- Probar (I like every flavor but the banana nut bread one is my favorite)
- Swiss Miss Cocoa mix (the bomb when you’re on the mountain)
- dehydrated fruit (mandarin oranges, mango, apple, etc)
- macadamia nuts
- wilderness athlete hydrate and recover packets
- peak refuel meals (transferred to Quart size freezer bags for weight/space savings)
- Idahoan instant mashed potatoes in quart sized freezer bags
- Chomps Beef Sticks
- honey Stinger Waffles
- BoBo’s stuffed oat bites
- Cliff Bloks

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Standouts so far this year.

Frozen containers of different homeaid soups/stews. This year was bean and ham, and vension stew with about as many veggies as I could get in the pot.

Know alot of guys that will go all out while truck camping. I'm not a fan, keep it simple. One pan, heat it up amd eat. Liquids to hydrate and a warm meal to lift the spirits. Hunt dark to dark and dont want to be messing around cutting/chopping or anything remotely related to cooking/cleanup. Found even after day three they r still semi frozen in a good cooler.

Lemon Lara bars, done with anything chocolate, just makes a mess.

Fresh apples picked before the trip. Brought 2 each day and wished I had room for more.

Not a fan of a big breakfast first thing, but belvitas bars with a packet of Justin's pb hit the spot around 9-10am.

Baby bells cheese was a great change up, found 2 per day was a great little snack.

Clif bloks with caffeine, pop 2 first thing in the am with an amnio energy drink and hit the trail. Maybe crush an apple the first 200 yards down the trail. Found it to be about the perfect wake up and go solution.