What are you guys shooting for arrows?

I warned someone I was gonna have a million tuning questions... here we go it begins.
What are you guys shooting for arrows?
My setup checkmate 52” recurve [email protected]@my26”
I have a bunch of fmjs 340, 30” long. I’ve been hanging out in the ranch fairies rabbit hole and he criticizes fmj’s. I’ve shot at least 7 deer with them no issues. The ones I’ve broken didn’t surprise me. Hate to buy new arrows if I don’t have to.
Thoughts opinions?
It looks like they’d spine out with 225 up front. 125 griz plus 100 grain ferrule. Seems like he doesn’t like aluminum inserts, thinking of switching to harder material.
What are you guys using for this?
Also have a few arrows 2117,2219 and 2315 thinking about doing a flight test.
Any opinions/past experience?

Thanks

PHo

WKR
I would start by shooting the ones you have to test arrow flight and then go from there.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
You say it looks like they'd spine out. I'm assuming that means you haven't tried tuning them yet? I'd try tuning them first. A 30" 340 spine with 240 gr up front (counting insert) seems stiff to me out of a 46 # bow, especially with a 26" draw. You're also looking at about a 600 gr finished arrow or 13 gpp. Depending on your aiming style that may be heavier than you want. Just something to think about.

Making sure they'll tune and that the trajectory suits you would be my first two concerns. Way down on the list would be the structural integrity of the aluminum insert. The HIT inserts are pretty tough if glued in properly and chances are good if you hit something on an animal hard enough to bend or brake the insert, you aren't getting through it with 46# @ 26" anyway.

Felix40

WKR
I agree with the above. I bet they will be too stiff and heavier than you will want with that short draw length and light weight. Try them and see is the best thing to do. For reference...I’m shooting 400 spine arrows with 200 grains point weight out of a bow that’s 58@29”.

If they tune from your bow with a good trajectory I say go for it, I don't think FMJs are bad at all considering that they're the ones you already have. Personally I'd buy some heavy one piece broadheads instead of trying to glue up and spin test a 2-piece setup like you're planning on but that's just me.
I'm shooting Beman Centershots and Black Eagle Instincts and like them both. The centershots are cheap and extremely tough, the Instincts are very forgiving and penetrate like crazy.

OP
C
Good point on the penetration didn’t think about it like that.
You say it looks like they'd spine out. I'm assuming that means you haven't tried tuning them yet? I'd try tuning them first. A 30" 340 spine with 240 gr up front (counting insert) seems stiff to me out of a 46 # bow, especially with a 26" draw. You're also looking at about a 600 gr finished arrow or 13 gpp. Depending on your aiming style that may be heavier than you want. Just something to think about.

Making sure they'll tune and that the trajectory suits you would be my first two concerns. Way down on the list would be the structural integrity of the aluminum insert. The HIT inserts are pretty tough if glued in properly and chances are good if you hit something on an animal hard enough to bend or brake the insert, you aren't getting through it with 46# @ 26" anyway.

OP
C
Thanks. Think I’ll put feathers on all the stuff I got and try them to see what I got, go from there
I agree with the above. I bet they will be too stiff and heavier than you will want with that short draw length and light weight. Try them and see is the best thing to do. For reference...I’m shooting 400 spine arrows with 200 grains point weight out of a bow that’s 58@29”.

OP
C
What do you use to cut the shafts when you’re tuning?
If they tune from your bow with a good trajectory I say go for it, I don't think FMJs are bad at all considering that they're the ones you already have. Personally I'd buy some heavy one piece broadheads instead of trying to glue up and spin test a 2-piece setup like you're planning on but that's just me.
I'm shooting Beman Centershots and Black Eagle Instincts and like them both. The centershots are cheap and extremely tough, the Instincts are very forgiving and penetrate like crazy.

I shoot some day six and black eagle deep impacts. I would have gone Easton axis over the black eagle but it was hard to come by em heavy inserts for them at the time when I purchased them. As far as durability, day six is hard to best IMO, but for traditional archery it is hard to fathom spending the extra money for the quality of those arrows since most of us cannot shoot well enough to see the benefits of them.

Use an arrow saw if you're going to cut the shafts down. Your setup might work if the riser is cut past center. Going to just need to shoot it to find out. Overall I'm not a fan of fmj's from bending them. I have a dozen I tried that after two-three weeks of target shooting I had several that had slight bends in them.

I'm shooting gold tip traditional.

I shoot FMJs out of my bow and they shoot extremely nice actually. My problem with them is stump shooting them. They don’t take the abuse well.

I like my Beman ICS Bowhunters the best. They’re a light shaft, so I can really crank the FOC on them and get them nice and heavy overall. Best of all, they can really take a pounding and keep going.

I shoot FMJs out of my bow and they shoot extremely nice actually. My problem with them is stump shooting them. They don’t take the abuse well.

I like my Beman ICS Bowhunters the best. They’re a light shaft, so I can really crank the FOC on them and get them nice and heavy overall. Best of all, they can really take a pounding and keep going.

You realize the beman is no longer available?

The Easton 6.5 mm series might be the exact same arrow, just new branding. If it's not the same it's very close.

Pflum

FNG
I wouldn't let anybody's opinion keep me from using something I already had. Don't have anything to lose at that point.
I shoot Gold Tip Trad blems for hunting. In the off season and 3d I usually shoot whatever I can find the cheapest, as long as it's a name brand shaft. Beman Bowhunters and Hunters usually. As someone else said, most people can't shoot good enough to use the ultra straight arrows, and stickbows are a lot easier on arrows when you miss than compounds.

Felix40

WKR
Thanks. Think I’ll put feathers on all the stuff I got and try them to see what I got, go from there
I would give bare shaft tuning one of them a try before you go to the trouble of fletching them all. It should be clear pretty quickly if they will even be close to working.

I doubt you will need to cut them as that will only make them more stiff.

Steadman

WKR
I'm using daysix. Where I hunt and stump shoot I need a very durable arrow, they've been it

Reactions: PHo

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
As above try it but likely to stiff. I shoot 52 at 31 inches and a 33 inch arrow in 400 spine with 225-250 up front tunes for me.

As above try it but likely to stiff. I shoot 52 at 31 inches and a 33 inch arrow in 400 spine with 225-250 up front tunes for me.
I shoot 350, full length with 200 up front; 47lb at 31” and had to build shelf out because the were hitting weak. Centershit, string type, release, arrow thickness, and BH can all affect it. Crazy how variable and personalized it is for teas compared to compound.
my point being, you gotta rest it and see what will work for you. Everyone here should have you in the ballpark.

Beendare

WKR
FMJ is a good solid arrow.

Are you sure you want to listen to Guys on youtube making outlandish claims just to gain clicks?

Something tells me those are gonna be too stiff for you. I shoot a 31 inch 340 with 200 grains upfront in a 50 pound very fast set up.
I bet you need 400’s.

i like the all carbon Axis and Beman centershot carbons with the wood look

Last edited: