What are you packing for bear defence? No hand guns allowed.

KBC

WKR
In the interest of lightening up my load, what would you pack for bear defence? Spray or a shorty shot gun? I'm in Kanuckistan so we can't pack a hand gun which would be my first choice. If you want to discuss gun laws or 2A, make your own thread please. This one is about gear not politics.

I've been packing a tacticooled 870 with a 14" barrel, slugs and a single point sling when solo bow hunting in grizzly country. Oddly enough I can pack one of these in Canada as long as it's at least 26" OAL (that's all the politics I'm going to get into ;)). It's kind of heavy so I've been debating on switching to some spray in a holster.

Given these two options, what do you pack and why?

Even though it's the heavy option I think I'll keep carrying the shotty but I'm open to hearing why I don't need to and giving in to my inner female dog....

My reasoning is I can reload it if I empty it, I'm going to piss off the bear with either but if I'm fortunate enough to hit it with the shot gun, it's a lot less likely to come back later. And finally, it's nice to have a gun with you.

Thoughts?

dtrkyman

WKR
I am quite competent with a scatter gun, I would suck it up and keep it.

How are you carrying it?

OP
K

KBC

WKR
I wouldn’t say weight savings is my goal. If it’s heavy but necessary, I’ll carry it. Maybe I’m just looking to confirm the weight is worth it hahaha.
I am quite competent with a scatter gun, I would suck it up and keep it.

How are you carrying it?
Well since I haven’t killed anything with a bow yet, it’s strapped to the pack but testing things out, it’s in a good spot with the single point sling I can drop the trekking pole and grab it pretty easy.
Now that I think about it, it might be more comfortable to carry with the sling instead of on the pack. Maybe I need to practice shooting my bow with the shotty on the sling?

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Always curious about this. I've only ever had run ins with Grizzly when at work and the morons I worked with had food/etc left in the truck or bed of the truck. Come back and the bear is all over the truck/etc. While out hunting I see them lots, just give them a wide birth and pay attention, I do not walk/hike with headphones in like i see so many doing on the way in.

My concern would be after i got the animal and harvested it and have it hanging in the tree's while i am hiking the first load out. that is when I would grab the shotgun , until that point I would carry the bear spray. That and have a buddy with me during so a bear doesn't sneak up on ya while harvesting.

tater

WKR
The only time the 12 gets broken out is when i am packing meat in high density grizzly areas. Otherwise its spray.

I have had a few grizzly encounters over the years, and they couldn't get away from me fast enough once they realized what i was.

Having said that, as our next generation of grizzlies will not have an innate fear of humans as they will not have been hunted, that may change for me.

Squamch

WKR
I carry a 30-06.

I have a short 870 and a stack of slugs in the truck for use while retrieving game, or approaching a downed bear.

I also spend a lot of time behind an 870. If you intend to use one for self defense, you should also get to a place where you shoot accurately and effectively on instinct, with no thinking about what you're doing. I did that by shooting a lot of sporting clays with a pump gun. Fast target acquisition from a gun down position, and quick follow up shots on a second target.

dtrkyman

WKR
I need to message a guy I use to get TSS for turkey, I know he has some coyote buckshot loads, I wonder if they make a large enough buckshot pellet in TSS that would work on bears, that stuff is incredible with the weight to size ratio.

One could alternate from slugs to buckshot when loading!

SonnyDay

WKR
Related: Anyone ever have issues with cold temperatures affecting bear spray? The canister I have says not to store it below 32 degrees F... but it routinely gets down into the teens or colder when out hunting. Maybe I just need to stick it in the freezer and then try it out!

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Related: Anyone ever have issues with cold temperatures affecting bear spray? The canister I have says not to store it below 32 degrees F... but it routinely gets down into the teens or colder when out hunting. Maybe I just need to stick it in the freezer and then try it out!

Bear spray will still spray below freezing, but it will not spray as far.

When I worked in Polar Bear country everyone just carried their bear spray under one layer of coat. Even carrying it in a chest holster rather than on your hip does a lot to keep it warm.

What I worry about more than freezing is expiration. A lot of folks don't know that bear spray expires, and a lot of manufacturers are kind of shady by not printing expiration dates on their cans. I shot an 8 year old can off once and it had the same consistency and range as hacking and spitting.

superjo

FNG
In the interest of lightening up my load, what would you pack for bear defence? Spray or a shorty shot gun? I'm in Kanuckistan so we can't pack a hand gun which would be my first choice. If you want to discuss gun laws or 2A, make your own thread please. This one is about gear not politics.

I've been packing a tacticooled 870 with a 14" barrel, slugs and a single point sling when solo bow hunting in grizzly country. Oddly enough I can pack one of these in Canada as long as it's at least 26" OAL (that's all the politics I'm going to get into ;)). It's kind of heavy so I've been debating on switching to some spray in a holster.

Given these two options, what do you pack and why?

Even though it's the heavy option I think I'll keep carrying the shotty but I'm open to hearing why I don't need to and giving in to my inner female dog....

My reasoning is I can reload it if I empty it, I'm going to piss off the bear with either but if I'm fortunate enough to hit it with the shot gun, it's a lot less likely to come back later. And finally, it's nice to have a gun with you.

Thoughts?
Since lightweight is your main interest, then the spray should definitely be your choice but personally I'll go with the shotgun.

wyodan

WKR
What about a Marlin 45-70? I'm not positive of your laws up there, but they make those down to having a 16" barrel, seems like it would be short and handy.

Common sense in the daylight, Bear spray in the dark. I'm a hell of a lot more apprehensive about bears when I can't see where I'm going and where they might be coming

darpoh

FNG
2 cans of bear spray. My buddy usually packs a Henry 45-70. 20 min out of town and we're in grizzly country, but we're in crown and the Banff boarder is so close.

SonnyDay

WKR
Bear spray will still spray below freezing, but it will not spray as far.

When I worked in Polar Bear country everyone just carried their bear spray under one layer of coat. Even carrying it in a chest holster rather than on your hip does a lot to keep it warm.

What I worry about more than freezing is expiration. A lot of folks don't know that bear spray expires, and a lot of manufacturers are kind of shady by not printing expiration dates on their cans. I shot an 8 year old can off once and it had the same consistency and range as hacking and spitting.

Good to know on both fronts. Thanks. Spray is pretty new but I'll be sure to use it for target practice after a couple of years...

Re: the freezing

Last fall my son and I had a black bear checking in on our backpack camp each night. Never saw it... just lots of sign the next morning. The rifles are a bit unwieldy inside of a tent at night, so the spray was our main option. On the last morning I actually read the label and saw the "store above freezing" info. Made me wonder if the thing would work at all in a pinch. We also had wind one night that would have made using spray a real challenge (I have since grabbed a 9mm for the nighttime camp/meat packing situation... but I am not in Kanuckistan).

For the OP: I used to work for a tour company in Alaska and we had pretty good success with 12 ga rock salt loads in chasing off large grizzlies. If you stick with the 870 it might shave some ounces on shells. That said... if you are facing a determined animal it's nice to know you've got lead slugs/buckshot to back up your fightin' words!

Bear spray when bowhunting/backpack hunting for me. Too much weight to carry a "long-gun" even if it is short.

If hunting black bears, I have a clean old Steven's 311 twin trigger SxS 12 ga with slugs in the truck and get it for bear follow up and meat packing.

If on a fly-in or quad-in I usually have a Kimber Montana .338 Fed in the main tent camp, and for packing in meat.

Speaking to the frozen spray....a guide I know and trust told me about testing bear spray that was recently expired and had been stored outside during one or more BC winters (cold). He said it was in-effective. He also tested new spray and said it worked very well!

Good luck and lets hope we never need the spray or the guns....but are prepared if the SHTF.