What Are You Stocking Up On?

DAD

FNG
We have been hearing about supply chain shortages for a while. We are really starting to feel it at work and see it in the stores around here.

Are you and your family stocking up for this winter? If so, what are some good items/supplies/food, etc. to stock up on?

*zap*

WKR
Food, water, shelter, ways to keep warm in that shelter, silver coins and some silver rounds.

Have 1,000 rolls of toilet paper and 500 rolls of paper towels. I think I’ll be good….

I’ve been canning and freezing lots of vegetables,fruit, and nuts the last week. Doing 25 gallons of sunflower seeds today. Making apple sauce this weekend. Good on the meat department for now but a few more fish and another deer would be nice.

Can’t forget about stocking up on ammunition and reloading supplies when found at a decent price as well.

Ethereum.

All three of our freezers are full to the top. I did buy a few pork bellies at $3.50/lb to make bacon. I can't get myself to pay +$7/lb for bacon. The Republican political ads in 3 years should just be a picture of bacon on the screen for 30 seconds that says $10/lb (if it's still that cheap by then). That should get 80% of the vote. We made our Christmas lists and shopping will be completed this weekend. I'm typically a December 20th Christmas shopper but the writing is on the wall and if you have your eye on something for a loved one you better get it now.

Reactions: DAD

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Today I just bought 15 gallons of my diesel truck oil (that's four oil changes), four oil filters, already have fuel filters, two 30k mile air filters, and three sets of windshield wipers for each vehicle. In the past few weeks I also bought two year's supply of my Sumatra Reserve dark coffee, winter tires on extra rims for my wife's car, another dozen RIP TKO arrow shafts, and a Smittybilt compressor for the truck.

I have started noticing a few things that are disappearing on the shelves. They'll all be nonexistent at some point, or more expensive at least, so might as well stock up while they're still at normal pricing if you can find them.

Nothing. In regards to Christmas, I saw an insightful thought;

"If the disrupted supply chain is going to ruin your Christmas, you're missing out on the true meaning of the day."
I guess I would like to buy my toddler a particular bow for Christmas. If he gets it, he will be excited. If it's sold out and he doesn't, he has no idea the thought is even on my mind so he won't know the difference. He's not even old enough to correlate Christmas with presents. Christmas happens at my house no matter what, but if I can plan ahead and see a little extra joy on my kids face and that makes me and my wife a little happier during what has been a pretty shitty year for my family, I will.

Probably hard for you to see this point of view from such a high horse.

Covering the basics. I’m also trying to not procrastinate on the items that will need attention sooner than later. Example would be truck tires, I could have probably got another winter out of them, but I replaced them now because I didn’t have trouble getting what I wanted at a fair price. I would be kicking myself for paying way more for something I could have gotten cheaper.

Rob5589

WKR
I guess I would like to buy my toddler a particular bow for Christmas. If he gets it, he will be excited. If it's sold out and he doesn't, he has no idea the thought is even on my mind so he won't know the difference. He's not even old enough to correlate Christmas with presents. Christmas happens at my house no matter what, but if I can plan ahead and see a little extra joy on my kids face and that makes me and my wife a little happier during what has been a pretty shitty year for my family, I will.

Probably hard for you to see this point of view from such a high horse.
Sorry to hear you're having a bad year. No high horse here, wasn't even my quote. I just thought it was a reminder to appreciate the things we do have. Especially with everything that has gone on the last two years.

P.S. I have a couple of kids fiberglass recurves that mine have outgrown. You're welcome to them if interested.

EastMT

WKR
Filling the freezer with does, always have an apocalypse supply for emergencies, live by a river I guess if we run out of water. My parents are full on prepping, canning.

I heard a neat podcast explaining the supply issue, I’ll give you what I remember, the numbers could be off a bit. It was an interview with the former COO of Toyota N America.

The ports in Cali can handle 14,000 containers daily, there are currently 26,000 arriving per day. There are 550,000 containers on ships waiting to unload. So if they increase handling by 100% which is tough to do, they will be gaining by 2000 containers from the 550k per day, meaning 225 days at 200% operating capacity.

Then you have shortages for storage, transport by rail or truck, nobody has warehouses anymore, everything is built for “just in time” arrival, from stores to car plants, so you just move the bottleneck from the port to the next place. So basically he said you need to increase all the bottlenecks at the same time or you can’t catch up. I don’t see this working out soon.

CorbLand

WKR
Filling the freezer with does, always have an apocalypse supply for emergencies, live by a river I guess if we run out of water. My parents are full on prepping, canning.

I heard a neat podcast explaining the supply issue, I’ll give you what I remember, the numbers could be off a bit. It was an interview with the former COO of Toyota N America.

The ports in Cali can handle 14,000 containers daily, there are currently 26,000 arriving per day. There are 550,000 containers on ships waiting to unload. So if they increase handling by 100% which is tough to do, they will be gaining by 2000 containers from the 550k per day, meaning 225 days at 200% operating capacity.

Then you have shortages for storage, transport by rail or truck, nobody has warehouses anymore, everything is built for “just in time” arrival, from stores to car plants, so you just move the bottleneck from the port to the next place. So basically he said you need to increase all the bottlenecks at the same time or you can’t catch up. I don’t see this working out soon.
Do you remember what podcast that was?

At least the transportation secretary hasn't been on tax payer funded gay dad Paternity leave for the past 10 weeks.... Oh wait.

I'm sure it's being handled.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Filling the freezer, chickens, hams, turkey.
Buying more canned goods,
Pickling some stuff outta the garden.
About to start trying to get some ducks/deer/pigs and fish in the freezer.
OH, and just bought another high cap handgun while I can.