What are you using for boot care?

OK_hunter

FNG
I have a set of Lowa Tibets and I am using Obenauf's on them. I am going to need to resupply soon and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions for products that may be better.

While I am asking, what is your preferred method for cleaning them before treating? I am currently using a soft brush and water to get the mud/dirt off followed by brushing with some Kiwi boot cleaner. I rinse and towel dry before applying the Obenauf's. Is this appropriate?

pbcarch

WKR
I have been using lard for many years. Important thing is to keep the leather supple and not dry out.
I actually have 30+ year old sorel pack boots that I still use.
My newer boots for out west (schenes and scarpa) I use lard (natural animal fat) that you can find at the grocery store.
I usually apply a couple of coats each season and reapply if needed

Paul

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sno Seal. Bought a bulk can of it for a lifetime supply a few yrs back. Had great luck with it on Meindls. Put it on “thick” and let the boots sit in the hot summer sun. Reapply until it quits soaking in.

Some use a hair drier to do the same thing. I would imagine it would work but the sun is quieter.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I clean my boots the same way, but with out the kiwi stuff. I usually use Hubbard’s shoe grease.
A lot of people swear by Obenaufs. Especially on good leather lined boots/shoes. Treat them inside and out.

tttoadman

WKR
I have the waterproof spray that you are supposed to spray on when the boots are wet. The waterproofing soaks in the open pores of the leather. This is what Lowa says to do.

NEhunter

WKR
Just started using the kenetrek boot wax and it seems to work very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
I've been using Obenauf's on my Tibets for past 5-6 years and they have held up well and have remained waterproof. I use Obenauf's on all my leather boots.

sszelong

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Obenaufs and Montana pitch blend. I have had success with both, but I prefer the Montana pitch. Both products have kept my feet dry so maybe I have a bias towards the Montana pitch. I haven’t compared them for longevity between applications. Both are easy to work in to the leather. I recommend the leather oil soap as well. Does a nice job cleaning them up before you apply your leather dressing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I wore Danners (Elkridge, Pronghorns, etc), I used the Danner waterproofing gel. When I wore Kenetrek (Mountain Extreme NI), I used the Kenetrek boot wax. Now that I wear Crispi (Hunter GTX), I use the Crispi waterproofing cream. I figured the boot company knew what type of glue was used in making their boots, and they would not put out anything that would damage it, causing the sole to delaminate or the rand to peel. I buy whatever brand waterproofing that is made by the boot company. With the price paid for the boots these days, buying the right product just makes sense to me.
I have read that Sno-seal, Obenauf's, etc all work well and have worked for a long time. It's just a personal choice that I use the boot maker's product.

*zap*

WKR
You folks might try heating up the leather before you apply your preferred treatment......hair dryer or heat gun. It will penetrate the leather much better.