What are your elk plans for 2012?

ceetoo

FNG
Ross -- thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be spending some quality time on the Montana Fish & Wildlife site tomorrow...

OTC high country Colorado for me. Hoping to get a bull on the ground while they're still around timberline. Going to be a man on a mission come archery opener

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I plan on drawing that impossible-to-draw MT permit this year (yeah right), otherwise it is the usual OTC MT hunting!

phantom16

FNG
Will be chasing Rosie's in Oregon early in the season, then the plan is to head to Montana for the last week of Sep. Need to get off my butt and figure out the MT application process this weekend!

Hey C2.. the MT app process is easy.. You can download the pdf file on their website.. You have to send in a copy of a bowhunting license from another state (previous year) or proof of BH education.. Silly, yes... Good luck this fall.. Craig said you're supposed to call him in the big one this year or something like that :) RJ

yrovikle

FNG
Close to a grand in tag fees for preference points here in colorado (although I get most of that back in june) just racking up points and hunting OTC pronghorn and elk. Always get my 2nd choice deer in my elk unit. So elk, mule deer and pronghorn in my home state and whitetail in kansas.

Happy hunting,
Yrovikle

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
The best part for individuals in the Spokane area is that you have great hunting in both Idaho and Montana all within 2 hours driving time. The country is brushy, steep and nasty, but the elk and deer are there. Good luck if you put in for Montana.

I am blessed that's for sure. I grew up hunting Rosie's on the Oregon coast, so I seem to gravitate to thick, steep places where no one else once to go which sometimes is not a good thing. And thanks for the info!

Western WA rifle for Roosevelts and heading to the Bob Marshall for some Montana backcountry rifle hunting in late Sept./early Oct. Will probably apply next week for MT. Combo license here I come!

Campo

FNG
I have applications out right now for many species in two states so I am going to just let the dice roll and then figure things out when I find out what I drew/did not draw.

Hoping for mule deer in Colorado 80/81 or 82 during archery, at the same time hoping for New Mexico Unit 52 for first season archery elk among many other applications.

i will for sure aquire another point in CO and hunt OTC. and if i get real lucky i will be hunting the Gila Wilderness too.

JG358

WKR
I'm putting in for another CO prefrence point and a leftover 1st rifle tag. Might pick up an OTC archery tag if I fill my deer tag early in the season.

ElkNut1

WKR
To Kill!!! LOL! Yes, that's always the plan for all I'm sure! We'll be hunting OTC Idaho as primary. I may inject another state, still on the fence there!
Good Luck everyone!

ElkNut1