What are your thoughts on a hinge style release. And do you hunt with one?

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a hinge this year and after a few weeks i could tell i wouldn't switch back. Even for hunting, none also has a safety (sweet spot) which makes it much easier to make that call. All though right after i drove head first into recurve and havent shot my compound in months

Hoopes

FNG
I started using a hinge for hunting last year and haven’t looked back. Shot my biggest deer with it but I think that was just a coincidence!

I shoot and hunt with a hinge- scott longhorn hunter- and I highly doubt i will ever go to a trigger. I thought i might go to a thumb button, but haven't had any situation yet that I would want one

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Shot my first game animal this year with a hinge and it was like a whole gigantic accomplishment. I think I will stick with it for a long long while if not forever. It just settles me down a lot more in the moment, if I had a thumb button or a caliper I would bet I would be punching still

Switched to a hinge about a year and a half ago, was fighting target panic bad. It has made a major change in my shooting ability. If I put an index finger release on I'm only good for a couple shots, then I can feel myself getting punchy again. I am planning to hunt with my hinge for the first time this year. I think it will help me to focus on the shot and not punch the trigger when I have an animal in front of me.

Zac

WKR
I started hunting with a hinge and then switched to an index. Had the worst season of my life with that Wise Guy. Gave it away and am now running tension activated version by Stan.

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a hinge while hunting some last year. Didn't like how difficult it is store the hinge when not in my hand. The Scott Longhorn or B3 Ranger fix those problems with the release attached to the wrist (I'm sure there are others, but those are the 2 that I know about).

My trouble with the wrist rocket is that it can get in about 1 day or shooting before I get real punchy with the trigger and my form breaks down. Also I get excited easily and that adds to the struggle. The hinge keeps me in the shot process and doesn't allow me to have bad form.

Who knows, I might be full draw on a bull or buck this year and not get my hinge to break; and that's my ultimate fear with the hinge versus a trigger.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Terrapin

WKR
15 years hunting with a hinge. Every once in a while I’ll hunt with a thumb trigger release (I have a couple that shoot same poi as my hinges).

Definitely less convenient and more difficult to make a quick “command” shot. Worth the trade-off for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

406unltd

WKR
I hunted all last year with my hinge. I’ve loved it and it saved archery for me personally. As far as it being hard to store while hunting, all I can say is it goes in my front pocket until i need it. I don’t lose my phone that way and I don’t lose my release that way either.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Who knows, I might be full draw on a bull or buck this year and not get my hinge to break; and that's my ultimate fear with the hinge versus a trigger.

My fear would be that while hunting elk in dark timber, you can't time the shot correctly on a moving elk. They move through shooting lanes extremely quickly and being able to command shoot if needed, seems important to me...but I am sure many are successful with it. Just comfort level I guess.

I am shooting a thumb this year and will try carrying it in my bino harness. They have pockets on the sides.

Jimbob

WKR
My shooting is not where I want it and where it has been in the past so I am trying to diagnose that. After watching Levi's videos on target panic I really think I have a touch of that and I am punching my trigger release.

So I bought a hinge and I'm going to try it out, if it works I'll use it for hunting or maybe buy a thumb trigger to pair with the hinge.

OP
Kai Truax

Kai Truax

WKR
Thanks for all of the answers I never thought anyone hunted with a hinge.
I ordered a sweet spot2 hinge it’s coming wendsday I’m hoping it works thanks for the feedback.

Terrapin

WKR
You can also get creative putting a wrist strap on a hinge. It won’t work for drawing the bow, but it’ll work for keeping your release where it belongs when you are walking. If I recall correctly, the Sweet Spot has a threaded hole covered up by some stickers that will fit a chunk of release rope. I make a loop there and attach it to an old wrist strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Archer

FNG
Has anyone ever had an issue shooting a hinge on a steep uphill or downhill angle? That's always been a worry for me with hunting with mine

Marble

WKR
The issue I have is taking the time to pull through the shotin a hunting situation. I missed two bucks last year that stepped as i pulled through. One was tiny, but the other was a real good buck. So I bought a GOAT and started practicing with it. I learned how to use back tension to make it go off just like a hinge, but can also command shoot it when needed.

So I've been successful killing animals with it. It does have a slightly different POI then my hinge.

I’ve got a Carter evolution and a Carter sensation. I’ve done a lot of shooting with the evolution, and I will say without a doubt that once you get used to it, it WILL make you a better shooter if you use it correctly.

That being said, I launched an arrow about 10 feet over a target while drawing with the sensation and have been gun shy since.

The thing I absolutely LOVE about the hinges and thumb triggers versus the index triggers is that you can carry them without them being strapped to your wrist. So gone are the days of your release smacking against every piece of metal around and making all sorts of noise. But the only issue is losing the things!

last year was the first year I hunted with a hinge. I really enjoyed it. don't think ill be switching to anything else. I shoot the scott longhorn hex and I have a trufire chicken wing as my backup. I fire both releases with my ring finger. I feel a better pull with my back that way. heres the public land buck I shot last fall.

Attachments

• buck19.jpg
    buck19.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 19
Use a Hinge 99% of the time I hunt from Sept all the way till Jan out west. But also carry a index release as a backup and for windy days where I'm not comfortable shooting with the hinge.