What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are going to close down hunting in the people's republic of washington to save the bears from possible coronavirus infection, then they should also close down walking sidewalks and trails outside of your house so you don't possibly cough on any birds or squirrels.

A typical western WA bear hunter might purchase his license online, stop and pay for gas outside with a credit card & treat his/her hands with alcohol gel thereafter, and then arrive at a cold, wet, empty trailhead with zero human contact. So, I can only surmise, that this directive is an effort to protect wild animals from coronavirus.

And won’t be in Fred Meyer’s shopping for bullshit all weekend!

Not me personally, but 2 coworkers got it. One is a clinical pharmacist (33 yo healthy male) that is on the unit and was out for 3 weeks, but is back now. The other is an infectious disease MD (35ish yo healthy female) that has been in and out the hospital as a patient now 3 times due to the same lingering COVID causing complicaitons.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
How many people on here? Has anyone had COVID?

I won’t know if I have it unless I’m bad enough to be admitted, meaning I’m not seeking medical attention unless something is terribly wrong. I’m normally that way, but even more so during a pandemic.

All that to say, if I knew I was positive, my condition would be terrible, and the last place I would be would be posting on Rokslide. And I would imagine many of you might feel the same.

As interesting as your question is, I don’t think you’ll get enough data for it to be useful.

aggieland

WKR
Not me personally, but 2 coworkers got it. One is a clinical pharmacist (33 yo healthy male) that is on the unit and was out for 3 weeks, but is back now. The other is an infectious disease MD (35ish yo healthy female) that has been in and out the hospital as a patient now 3 times due to the same lingering COVID causing complicaitons.

Where are you located?

Mike7

WKR
Here is Idaho's take on things. Seems pretty reasonable, given the science.

Press Release
Hunting and fishing seasons continue with social distancing and travel guidelines
By Roger Phillips, Public Information Supervisor
Monday, March 30, 2020 - 2:42 PM MDT

Idahoans can continue to recreate under Covid-19 restrictions, but they should take precautions and follow guidelines
Idaho Fish and Game has not closed any fishing or hunting seasons in response to Covid-19, and the department is providing guidelines in accordance with the Governor's orders for social distancing at least six feet apart, including while fishing and at access sites and boat ramps.
“Fishing lends itself to social distancing,” Fish and Game State Fisheries Manager Jim Fredericks said. “In fact, for most types of fishing, general etiquette says if you’re fishing within six feet of the next person, you’re way too close.”
Lakes, reservoirs and streams are vast places where anglers can easily put space between themselves. During the statewide Covid-19 order, it’s extremely important that people recreating on the water make extra efforts to maintain social distancing at the access sites, boat ramps and in the parking lots.
Anglers are advised to launch boats quickly, minimize dock time, maintain space between people, and don’t gather in crowds.
“Please help ensure our boat ramps and other public access sites remain open,” Fredericks said. “Maintaining opportunities to enjoy outdoor recreation will depend on people doing it safely. Enjoy your time outdoors—responsibly."
Travel guidelines for hunters and anglers
Because hunting and fishing may require some travel, the Governor’s Office has provided some additional guidelines for all recreationists:
  • Minimize your travel distance from your home and spread out. If a trailhead or other access site is congested, consider finding another one, or go during off-peak hours.
  • Check before you go. Many campgrounds and trails may be closed.
  • Bring all supplies you will need from home to avoid putting unnecessary strain on local grocery stores or convenient stores that serve the local population. Make sure you pack out all your trash and leave your space clean.
For more information about Covid-19 related to Fish and Game, see F&G's Covid-19 information page.

How many people on here? Has anyone had COVID?

I’m not sure if me and my girlfriend have it but it went through her parents house starting with her sister. 5 out of the 6 of us have or are currently fighting it. Dry cough and headaches. No fever for us however so it could be something else but we are home from work making sure to not spread it

does anyone know if there is any significance of the type of the exposure people get vs how sick they get?

can the amount of exposure change how sick people get? it seems like some areas have a worrisome death rate, while others seem to have extremely high survival rate, and i'm wondering why.

a Dr that is working with sick folks may get mass exposure to the virus, does that make the infection worse?

maybe people with high exposure get exposed to more than one strain of the virus making it more severe?

That's a great question, and I had the same thought. My understanding is yes. Two of my close friends (a married couple, husband is my hunting buddy) each have a PhD in biomechanical engineering, and they are studying Covid-19 intensively.
While they noted that nothing is proven yet (they need considerably more data) they said that it appears symptoms are much worse if you inhale the virus into your lungs, whereas getting coronavirus through ingestion results in a milder case. They also said that less exposure is better - they joked "you want just a tiny little bit of exposure if you're going to get it, not a lot."
Don't take any of that for gospel, but it did come from a pair of scientists who know vastly more about the mechanics of the human body than I do.
Their advice was to wear a mask to do your shopping, leave your shoes outside, and wash your hands as often as you can. They too stock up on a lot of food to minimize trips to the store.

They also presently think it is inevitable because too many people aren't taking it seriously enough -they think we are all going to either get it and develop antibodies, or a vaccine will be developed and all we can do is hang on until it comes. They believe in the "flatten the curve" theory as well - the longer we can stave off mass infection, the better for everyone.

Stay healthy y'all.

MattB

WKR
Shelter in place extended through May 3 for 7 Bay Area counties. Signs of what is to come for more of the country perhaps?

So F'n pissed off! My wife has very bad rheumatoid arthritis and has to sit at the doctor's office once a month to get an IV to treat it. The medication suppresses her immune system.

She has been home since the week before last but was asked to come in to the office on Friday to do a project that couldn't be done from home. We found out today the guy she works closest with has the virus and was going to get tested later Friday and didn't tell anyone!

I can't believe how F'n selfish people can be! He knew about her compromised condition and didn't take any freaking precautions! I want to kill the guy!

So F'n pissed off! My wife has very bad rheumatoid arthritis and has to sit at the doctor's office once a month to get an IV to treat it. The medication suppresses her immune system.

She has been home since the week before last but was asked to come in to the office on Friday to do a project that couldn't be done from home. We found out today the guy she works closest with has the virus and was going to get tested later Friday and didn't tell anyone!

I can't believe how F'n selfish people can be! He knew about her compromised condition and didn't take any freaking precautions! I want to kill the guy!

That’s absolutely terrible man, I’d want to dig a hole too, I wish the best for you guys

Bobbyboe

WKR

Im sorry to hear about your experience. RA is terrible. If he knowingly exposed patients, especially immune compromised patients, that may be grounds for a lawsuits. You’ll have to weight the pros and cons, but if it were me, I’d be keeping track of all evens and documenting everything from here forward. id be actively trying to gain evidence in case the infection is transferred.

Again, sorry to hear about tour situation.

Good news boys, masks suddenly work for the average Joe. It's a miracle! Praise sweet baby Jesus 8lb 6ounces in his little manger.

Bonus points if you know what movie that last part is from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.