What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just simply not true. While it won't filter everything, it absolutely can help against sneezes/coughs.

Why would all healthcare professionals be required to wear them if they don't help at all?

On top of its filtering, it will help prevent you or someone else from accidentally touching your nose or mouth.
It needs to be a n95 style make. Surgical/ regular mask won’t protect you.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
When the US death toll from this hits 1000 will full blown panic ensue? I hope that is not true but the voice inside me says it might be true.
Respirator mask will not protect you from getting a cough or sneeze that would have gone into your respiratory system in your eyes or on your clothing/skin where it can linger and get at you later on. Not seeing any masked folks around here other than a female post office worker behind the counter on Friday.

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
When the US death toll from this hits 1000 will full blown panic ensue? I hope that is not true but the voice inside me says it might be true.
Respirator mask will not protect you from getting a cough or sneeze that would have gone into your respiratory system in your eyes or on your clothing/skin where it can linger and get at you later on. Not seeing any masked folks around here other than a female post office worker behind the counter on Friday.

What will be the cause of panick do you think?

A) C19
B) Economic collapse

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Lack of common sense/direction, inability to think for themselves, fear for the sake of fear brought on by trusting the media and no concept of how to actually take care of themselves in a tough situation + panic. It will be worse in liberal dominated areas than conservative dominated areas.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
Protection from direct inhalation yes, but not from getting it in your other hole, various orifices and wet spots.

Or picking it up from your clothes, kids, and spouse. How many people are really gonna wear those things nonstop? Pull their kids out of school? Stop going outside? Quitting their jobs?

Just ridiculous, and yes, people are doing those things. Totally irrational.

Not applying for huntin deer in Wyoming, now that's something we can all agree will help reduce risk.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I know the news media will sensationalize the crap out of it!

KurtR

WKR
Damn I thought I was done with that stupid gas mask when I left Ft. Sill. Army surplus store here I come.

Shrek

WKR
Hopefully many will be so busy panicking and hoarding that they won’t apply for tags and I can get drawn for one of the golden promised land tags.

No worse than the flu. Press is just blowing it out of proportion.

While the press is blowing it out of proportion. . . It is worse than the flu.

2-3% fatality rate Vs .2% fatality rate.

Most people on earth have some resistance to. The flu as they have had a version of it before. . . Very few have had C19

Is it world ending? Not unless it mutates quite a bit which I don't think will happen. But if 70-80% of the adult population gets it in the next year and 2% die. . . You do the math.

People should stop comparing it to the flu. . . Unless you want to say compare it to when the native Americans were first introduced to things like the flu.

If you are 55+ this should be a serious concern. Even if it doesn't kill you, long term hospitalisation from the pneumonia it causes won't do you any good.

There is no vaccine, and there is no stopping the spread at this point. It is and will be much worse than the flu

"As of Feb. 22, in the current season there were at least 32 million cases of flu in the United States, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 flu deaths, according to the C.D.C. Hospitalization rates among children and young adults this year have been unusually high."

Quote from NY Times.
Now there is something to worry about.Annually -but where are the fearmongers?

Well said. As a healthcare provider I fully agree. The real threat is influenza. 80% of those with COVID-19 have minimal or no symptoms. Those at risk are the elderly and those with underlying comorbid conditions (cardiac, pulmonary, neurological, autoimmune, diabetes, etc.). COVID-19 fortunately doesn't hit the pediatric population like influenza does. In addition, because 80% have minimal or no symptoms the predicted mortality rate is likely too high. With time and more data the numbers will be more accurate.

The New England Journal of Medicine, within the past week, estimated mortality rate at 1.4% (COVID-19).

According to WHO, influenza on average, kills 291,000-646,000 people annually (Lancet, Vol. 391, Dec 13 2017). That gets my attention.

CDC currently estimates, in the Unites States, influenza death rates for the 2019-2020 season, between 18,000-46,000 people (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm).

Common Cold/Influenza/COVID-19: good hand washing, good hygiene, don't touch your face (especially eyes, nose, mouth), avoid close proximity to those who are sick/coughing/sneezing (respiratory droplet transmission).

Last edited:
Well said. As a healthcare provider I fully agree. The real threat is influenza. 80% of those with COVID-19 have minimal or no symptoms. Those at risk are the elderly and those with underlying comorbid conditions (cardiac, pulmonary, neurological, autoimmune, diabetes, etc.). COVID-19 fortunately doesn't hit the pediatric population like influenza does. In addition, because 80% have minimal or no symptoms the predicted mortality rate is likely too high. With time and more data the numbers will be more accurate.

The New England Journal of Medicine, within the past week, estimated mortality rate at 1.4% (COVID-19).

According to WHO, influenza on average, kills 291,000-646,000 people annually (Lancet, Vol. 391, Dec 13 2017). That gets my attention.

CDC currently estimates, in the Unites States, influenza death rates for the 2019-2020 season, between 18,000-46,000 people (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm).

Common Cold/Influenza/COVID-19: good hand washing, good hygiene, don't touch your face (especially eyes, nose, mouth), avoid close proximity to those who are sick/coughing/sneezing (respiratory droplet transmission).

Even at 1.4% fatality that is about 10 times more deadly than the flu. I fully agree that influenza is nothing to scoff at. But the only reason this hasn't killed more people is it hasn't been around to kill them.

I hope it goes away with the coming of spring, but if not it will certainly be more deadly than the flu by the time it is done.

As you said though. Common sense cleanliness will prevent a lot of issues

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I think the worst health effects will be secondary impacts that make life harder all around:
  • Longer response times/maxed-out first responders due to quarantines and protocols
  • Hospital staff contracting the virus and being taken offline, increasing workloads for others
  • Simultaneous increase in patient loads as people seek diagnosis/treatment for anything with flu-like symptoms.
  • Panic-buying causing supply shortages, which could hit particularly hard in elderly communities where people live on modest fixed incomes and can't afford to horde a bunch of goods.
All of this ends up compromising proper care, forces medical workers to redirect resources away from other patients, and threatens to make everyday life harder for the same populations most at-risk from a virus like this one.

We're already seeing some precursors to this in NH, where I live. Good luck finding hand sanitizer or respirators out there. Like, anywhere. There are now suggestions from local police for us to prepare as we would for an extended blizzard. The local hospital is drowning in press inquiries after a staff member tested positive after a trip to Italy. People are suspicious of one another, and particularly immigrant populations.

Aspects of this reminds me of the 22LR crisis we all weathered. You end up fighting against the human response even more than you fight against the initial stimulus itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.