What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is some good to come out of this. Warning: this is all my philosophical opinions.

Prior to coronavirus, I had this theory that one of Americas biggest problems was that we had it good for too long. Since we didnt have anything to worry about in a general sense we started to make things up to worry about. We allowed politicians to chase around pet programs instead of doing things that maintained the core of our country such as bulk store medical supplies or have an adequate rainy day fund.

Every new week brought a new drastic social issue that had to be rooted out. Fringe groups became exceedingly powerful pushing agendas that just made us less and less prepared for what matters. Heck, we had a nationwide yearlong debate over bathrooms signs.

It's amazing how all of these issues evaporated overnight. In colorado, suddenly it's ok for restaurants to deliver alcohol. How many other laws do we have that are needless? Hopefully, coronavirus gives us back something we've seriously been lacking....perspective.

Kentucky

WKR
Let’s lockdown the old folks, shutdown all news/media on tv and Internet, and everybody go back to work.

Just sayin..economic meltdown for 10,000 global deaths is dumbest thing ever.. not trying to be insensitive.. these elected officials are supposed to make hard decisions.. so far In my opinion, they have went about this wrong.. to hell with Democrats and Republicans. Save the economy.

I bet there will be more suicides from bankruptcy than what the virus kills in our country.

KurtR

WKR
Look, I'm no more a democrat than most of us here... but Trump goes from saying its a hoax a couple weeks back to us being in deep shit this week and he's suddenly taking it seriously. We lost weeks(or months) of planning time to it being a "hoax". With that said, I don't care if it was Trump, Hillary, Obama, Biden, Sanders, W, Clinton, I'd still feel like they were a complete dumbass in their response and call them as such.

I think we too often look at people in positions such as Trump and put ourselves there and think "oh man thats a mistake anyone could make" because lets face it, all we have are whatever news media you follow to go by. The POTUS has advisors, intelligence, etc that surely made him apprised of the situation months ago... thats not only unforgivable, its poor leadership.

So while sitting in on those meetings since you know what the advisors were telling him what did they say when he wanted to shut down travel to countrys over a month ago? Look at the start of this thread most of us on here were making fun of it. Also lock downs like in China won’t work here unless your ok with the government dealing ass beatings and locking doors for leaving the house like China. Blaming one person for years and years of not being prepared is kinda short sited.

We need to shut the whole nation down. Only healthcare, pharmacies and groceries can work. Everyone should have 3-6 months of savings anyways. So, two weeks should be fine.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
On the subject of Trump not shutting us down sooner, I believe he had bad information. Almost half of the public, as evidenced by this thread believed the same. The CDC at the top has alot of people who didn't want to do him any favors and I believe that had alot to do with it. Hell the media had a huge amount of Trump supporters convinced it was a conspiracy to get him. Just like any lie, there is truth in that. "They" will use this crisis to hurt Trump, but it is real. Some of the sources I've trusted have been dead nuts on this for the last six weeks, so I was in the camp that believed this was real and I did what I could to prepare. No, this isn't the time for political BS, but I do believe Mr. Trump is doing some right things now and I for one thank God the other candidate isn't in office now. We aren't all going to die, but this is going to be a bumpy ride for probably a year. Help others and if you believe in God, pray for good decisions from our leaders.

elkyinzer

WKR
There is some good to come out of this. Warning: this is all my philosophical opinions.

Prior to coronavirus, I had this theory that one of Americas biggest problems was that we had it good for too long. Since we didnt have anything to worry about in a general sense we started to make things up to worry about. We allowed politicians to chase around pet programs instead of doing things that maintained the core of our country such as bulk store medical supplies or have an adequate rainy day fund.

Every new week brought a new drastic social issue that had to be rooted out. Fringe groups became exceedingly powerful pushing agendas that just made us less and less prepared for what matters. Heck, we had a nationwide yearlong debate over bathrooms signs.

It's amazing how all of these issues evaporated overnight. In colorado, suddenly it's ok for restaurants to deliver alcohol. How many other laws do we have that are needless? Hopefully, coronavirus gives us back something we've seriously been lacking....perspective.

I completely agree with this.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
If you are not aware that the 'media' reporters ave been after Trumps hide for years you've been asleep for years. The same media gave b o, hillary and crew passes daily....remember Benghazi?

KurtR

WKR
We need to shut the whole nation down. Only healthcare, pharmacies and groceries can work. Everyone should have 3-6 months of savings anyways. So, two weeks should be fine.

It’s a big country is in fly over country are a lot different than the coasts and Illinois.Ranchers are calving right now can’t just leave the cows. A blanket approach won’t work for the USA

Do you have any concept of how this nation works?

What about the military? Should they shut down?

What about contractors who keep hospitals running. Should they shut down?

What about manufacturers who make parts for ventilators? Should they shut down?

What about tooling firms who make tools for firms that make ventilator parts?

What about software companies that keep the manufacturing running?

What about the towing company that picks up the stranded software employee on his way to work to keep manufacturing companies running?

NEhunter

WKR
^^^^This.....I’d add the utility companies and the supporting services that go along with keeping power plants online. Doubt anyone wants to be isolated at home with no power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have any concept of how this nation works?

What about the military? Should they shut down?

What about contractors who keep hospitals running. Should they shut down?

What about manufacturers who make parts for ventilators? Should they shut down?

What about tooling firms who make tools for firms that make ventilator parts?

What about software companies that keep the manufacturing running?

What about the towing company that picks up the stranded software employee on his way to work to keep manufacturing companies running?

I work for the Govt sir. I realize a bit how things work. I am also front line on this pandemic. Military will not shut down. The manufacturers that are making hospital supplies, of course, need to stay up and running. 3M employees are getting all the OT they want. Truckers will have to stay going. I'm saying ESSENTIAL employees. So, for example, hair salons, car sales, all salesmen, construction workers, etc. The only thing that should be up and going are the people needed to combat this. Is it that hard to ask for two weeks?

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
It is in every state, if the Johns Hopkins research is correct the cases double every 4 days....so, it is just a matter of time unless they do a complete lock down. If they wait until it is out of control to do a complete lock down, well then it may very well be too late.....that is all assuming the research is correct.

National Guard general and HHS head both went out of their way yesterday to say there is no lock down planned.

It will be interesting to see what the death #'s in Italy do in the next four days. 700 dead from kung flu there today. If it is is 1400 on Tuesday and 3000 by end of next week then we are a few weeks or so behind that type of escalation here because people are still out and about getting food/supplies.....shelves were pretty bare in some aisles today where I am.

I do not think the average American is equipped to handle this if it becomes very bad either mentally or otherwise. It could turn into a bad situation very fast.

Add into the mix something else like the internet goes down or a grid failure and it could be bedlam......never really thought I would see empty shelves for a few days in a row @ the supermarket....imagine if your one of the folks that just does not have the $ to stock up big and you need to buy as you use......lots of people under a lot of stress and many do not even handle driving with civility.

Yes, there are quite a few 'essential' jobs......is packing a beach with people essential? Plenty of that going on and when the party is over those folks return to home all over the USA.

I would say watch the EU and see what is happening there the next week and that is what we can expect in a few weeks here.

tdot

WKR
He wanted the travel ban almost immediately and was decried as a racist. H1N1 killed 12000 people and is barely a blip in our countries history now. H1N1 killed 1000 people before Obama made a peep about it.....and nobody was crying about it then either.

That was simply the point at which he woke up and listened to his advisers. Closing the border wasnt his idea. This had been going on for weeks.

Unfortunatley, all you've done is prove my point.

The worst case projection for H1N1, was better then the best case projection for CV19. Alot of other countries were well ahead of Trump. They had the same data on H1N1 and CV19.

Our local hospital had ordered 50 new Respirators, massive amounts of additional protective gear and additional supplies by late January. They ordered as much Chloroquine as they could get their hands on 2 weeks ago. All while Trump was stamping his foot and trying to Twitter this into Fake News.

RE: COVID-19
Not good nor bad news, but realistic and up to date facts, and my opinion...
God help us. During the press conference today, when a rational question was asked Mr. Trump...to basically ask him to provide the American people some comfort in this time of a truly "Black Swan" health crisis...Mr. Trump attacks the reporter for asking the question. Unbelievable. Once again, our Commander-in-Chief is given the opportunity to provide a logical answer..."Such a lovely question"..."Smart guy, I feel good about it"...."What do you say to American people, sir?"...."I say you're a terrible reporter and that's a nasty question". Good God, the reporter is trying to get a straight answer out of someone who attacks the man, instead of behaving like a LEADER when we are facing a certain recession and possibly a 2nd Great Depression. Two additional reporters ask the same question in a professional manner, and Mr. Trump berates them. It appears DWT is in way over his head, he has zero empathy, and hopefully he shuts up long enough to let his scientific team provide clear and accurate answers and data. After today's shenanigans, I can't wait to see the bloodbath in the S&P futures starting Sunday night and will probably carry us through further down as the week progresses....

That is EXACTLY what the reporters wanted all Trump haters (and you) to believe. However, they did NOT have any compassionate motive.
If Trump would have said, "Coronavirus is worse than I expected it to get. Nobody expected this 3 months ago. The economy will get very low and more people will probably die."
The reporters would have said, "You are a ***************** President. You are discouraging Americans in this difficult time. You are not fit to be a leader.
If Trump would have said, "Hopefully just a month or two at most of lockdown and the worst of this will be past! I will send $1,000 to every American within 3 weeks! $500 for every child! And again in 3 more weeks if shutdown must continue! I have unleashed 100 billion + already with a trillion dollar act in the works! (That's many times more than a previous government released for swine flu. Or any antivirus act ever, for that matter). KEEP GOING STRONG, AMERICA. WE WILL MAKE IT THROUGH!!"
Those same reporters would have said
"You are a ************* President. You are not fit to be Commander in Chief. You are giving Americans false hope!"
They already have played this exact game on Trump's Tweets and speeches. Trump knows good and well that anything he says WILL be used against him. If the media really wanted to encourage people, they would be talking about all the things that ARE being done to control coronavirus rather than throw dirt at the President and talk about only the bad side of the situation.
The democratic media is counting on fools to believe their lies and one sided reports to get the 2020 President of their choice. Trump would have been happy to let them outgrow their well deserved "Fake News" name but they are only blackening their name.

CorbLand

WKR
Add into the mix something else like the internet goes down or a grid failure and it could be bedlam......never really thought I would see empty shelves for a few days in a row @ the supermarket....imagine if your one of the folks that just does not have the $ to stock up big and you need to buy as you use......lots of people under a lot of stress and many do not even handle driving with civility.

One of the lady’s at my moms school is in that situation. Her and her husband don’t make much and as everyone was out buying everything on the shelves she was just waiting for her paycheck so she could go get some stuff. The principal walked in one day, gave her a $100 and told her to go get some food right now.

The world is what you want to see it as. There is a lot of good going on right now, just look for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Folks, putting politics aside, there are two points that I want to make that I think we all know:

1. We are way behind the curve and probably lots of folks will die from this, unless meds prove to be a successful treatment soon. Not just older folks either, younger folks will die, just not in the same numbers.

2. Our economy and the global economy will be in shambles after this is all done. Whenever that “is done” happens, expect the worst, because it will probably be worse Than you can expect.

It is in every state, if the Johns Hopkins research is correct the cases double every 4 days....so, it is just a matter of time unless they do a complete lock down. If they wait until it is out of control to do a complete lock down, well then it may very well be too late.....that is all assuming the research is correct.

National Guard general and HHS head both went out of their way yesterday to say there is no lock down planned.

It will be interesting to see what the death #'s in Italy do in the next four days. 700 dead from kung flu there today. If it is is 1400 on Tuesday and 3000 by end of next week then we are a few weeks or so behind that type of escalation here because people are still out and about getting food/supplies.....shelves were pretty bare in some aisles today where I am.

I do not think the average American is equipped to handle this if it becomes very bad either mentally or otherwise. It could turn into a bad situation very fast.

Yes, there are quite a few 'essential' jobs......is packing a beach with people essential? Plenty of that going on and when the party is over those folks return to home all over the USA.

I would say watch the EU and see what is happening there the next week and that is what we can expect in a few weeks here.

I'm with you man. Alot of these Gen Z people, although young, are completely ignorant. I feel everyone is essential to our nation. However, I mean essential to the cause of defeating this. I'm not knocking anyone's profession.

Our death rate is substantially lower than Italy's. Not even in the same ballpark.

Status
Not open for further replies.