What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What most worries me is that this is unprecedented so no one knows what to expect....the 'new norm' bar gets raised each day.
there is some comfort in we are all in this together, same pretty much for all of us. I agree though, unsettling times, but I don't think this will be as big as it feels looking back on this.

very twilight zone-ish right now though

at least people seem to be chilling out a bit, and less panic. I have been meaning to can a bunch of elk I set aside for that.... this is a pretty fitting time to do so I think. set about 50lbs aside this year to do that with.... dang good way to eat it, and makes in pretty much non perishable.

In my State the positive numbers are no longer following the exponential growth trend. I believe, and take with a grain of salt, we will peak this week within my State. That being said, the State just signed a stay at home order, which take effect tomorrow. I may be wrong, but it seems that the national rate has also slowed a bit.

I am a first responder, but not a medical professional and these are just my opinion. Man I hope I’m right!

Hopefully this week is our peak and we can all go back to talking about Kuiu vs Sitka or if a 6.5 creed can kill an elk.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!
what state are you in?

Mike7

WKR
People who don't understand or believe in the American experiment, will always knee jerk react in favor of gov't action to force citizen compliance without a careful consideration of each case or of the consequences of said action.

We are not even close to the peak of this in most areas of the country likely, because too many susceptible people exist.

Closing down parks and beaches would seem to NOT be logical to me, even if determined to be legal.

Municipal orders for people to stay inside or giving gov't the power to confiscate private property should be completely unacceptable.

This is not likely a virus which can be isolated. All indications are that it is far too contagious for that, especially with the 4-11 day incubation period. Slowing it down however will allow for medical services to keep up and for treatments to be tested and produced.

Requests to social distance or to educate people by gov't are great for this purpose.

Otherwise people should have all of the personal motivation necessary to try to avoid getting this infection right now. For those that don't have that motivation to social distance, then how would that affect those of you who are putting yourself under quarantine anyway?

elkyinzer

WKR
This whole thing should be advantageous to rural economies but urban politicians are either blind to that or acting maliciously toward their interests with statewide actions.

Mike7

WKR
And if you are a person who still wants to remove someone's freedom, so that they don't potentially get sick with the novel corona virus where they could potentially pass it on...
then I hope that you are also a person who feels like anyone who has HIV for instance, or might have HIV, should be prosecuted for assault or manslaughter if they have sex with unaware non-HIV partners.

Vids

WKR
This whole thing should be advantageous to rural economies but urban politicians are either blind to that or acting maliciously toward their interests with statewide actions.

I think there's a negative side to your thought, however. I've seen a lot of FB posts that small towns in CO are pleading with people not to come there to recreate, due to the minimal facilities they have to treat locals if they get sick.

ODB

WKR
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Lou Sid

FNG
Several states are already doing this. What are you most worried about? You are not literally locked inside your house. Can still take care of necessities as you need to.

It's funny how many people think shut down actually means shut down.

Weed is federally illegal. In CA it's not only legal, but "cannabis retail" is listed as essential under both the healthcare and food sections meaning it's an essential business allowed to operate during the "shut down".

I am slowly going further right and saying open up some businesses and let this thing play out. I am not quite all the way to: open everything with no restrictions, but I am getting closer. A little self accountability and understanding how vulnerable YOU really are. If you get sick, no hospital, just tough it out or pass out...

Agross

WKR
Michigan was "ordered" to stay in . The governor announced this morning at 11 am. My wife works for the state of Michigan and can work from home. I work construction and will be working, as long as there is work . I take all this very serious but man some people need to shut off the television and calm down . Just my opinion.

MtnOyster

WKR
Shut down order for my county takes effect @ midnight. Like a bad dream, someone please wake me......
It’s not too bad zap, you’ll find something around the house to stay busy, it may be crap you don’t want to do but you’ll find something .

Jason__G

FNG
Some sobering numbers:

7.7 billion total global population

If infection rates for total population in the next year are kept to 5%, total number of infected is:
7,700,000,000 * .05 = 385,000,000 infected

If you take a low death rate of 1% and apply to the above numbers, you get:
385,000,000 * .01 = 3,850,000 dead in the next year

If you take the current estimated death rate of 4.3% and apply it to the above numbers, you get:
385,000,000 * .043 = 16,555,000 dead in the next year

If you take Italy’s current death rate of over 8% and apply it to the above numbers, you get:
385,000,000 * .08 = 30,800,000 dead in the next year

If global infection rates are allowed to reach 40%, the total number of infected is:
7,700,000,000 * .4 = 3,080,000,000 infected

3,080,000,000 * .01 = 30,800,000 dead in the next year

If you take the current estimated death rate of 4.3% and apply it to the above numbers, you get:
3,080,000,000 * .043 = 132,440,000 dead in the next year

If you take Italy’s current death rate of over 8% and apply it to the above numbers, you get:
3,080,000,000 * .08 = 246,400,000 dead in the next year

Several sources are claiming that Global infection rates could hit 70% or higher over the next year, even with moderate social distancing. That works out to:

7,700,000,000 * .7 = 5,390,000,000 infected in the next year

5,390,000,000 * .01 = 53,900,00 dead in the next year

If you take the current updated estimated death rate of 4.3% and apply it to the above numbers, you get:
5,390,000,000 * .043 = 231,770,000 dead in the next year

5,390,000,000 * .08 = 431,200,000 dead in the next year

If global infection rates double every 5 days(this is what we are currently tracking on), then we reach the 5% infected rate in under 60 days from today:
375,000 3/23
* 2 3/28
* 2 4/2
* 2 4/7
* 2 4/12
* 2 4/17
* 2 4/22
* 2 4/28
* 2 5/3
* 2 5/8
* 2 =‬ 384,000,000 on or about 5/13

Math says that we need to take drastic measures while we still can.

Blinddog

Lil-Rokslider
My Math says, unfortunately, we will all be bankrupt before this is over, corona only lasts for a couple of months. a Bankrupt country and severe depression could last for several years. I am willing to take my chances and stay working. If this becomes the new norm to every flu outbreak we have in the future, we don't have a chance. Welcome to Bernie land.:cry:

Jason__G

FNG
My Math says, unfortunately, we will all be bankrupt before this is over, corona only lasts for a couple of months. a Bankrupt country and severe depression could last for several years.

Imagine being in a position of power and having the numbers in front of you. You have one set that says if you do option A, then X number die, while Y number lose their jobs. You have another set that lets you choose option B, where different numbers die and different numbers lose jobs. You have all these numbers in front of you and each one is a life, or a livelihood. You get to choose which to prioritize.
Imagine the surreal nightmare of having to look at your constituents and decide which ones will be 'acceptable losses' on multiple fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.