What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhm. Take the daily average and multiply by 7. And then divide by 7. This will of course iron out some seasonal bumps and daily spikes or valleys, but it's
LOL my point is that's the information that needs to be on the graph.

tdot

WKR
LOL my point is that's the information that needs to be on the graph.

Sorry, I didnt actually mean to post that. It was me being a smart ass. 7 divided by 7 is one. As in, it is the same information that is already on that graph.

The only way a 7 day average makes sense is in a period of great change. Ie. 2 weeks ago, the numbers were virtually nil, so they would skew the average and be meaningless. They could have just as easily used a 3 day average and the numbers would be higher.

If they tried to take a 7 day average for flu or mva deaths, then there would be seasonal spikes or valleys. Depending on where you arbitrarily chose to report the data from, you would skew the comparison even further.

Though I personally think the comparison to flu and mva deaths is increasingly meaningless.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It is misleading.
It's using the average daily deaths over 365 days for the two horizontal lines, and using a rolling 7 day average for one COVID 19 number and single day deaths for another number. It's not a valid comparison.

What are the rolling 7 day averages and daily deaths (not average) for flu? That's what needs to be on that chart for it to be a fair comparison.

The graph compares daily deaths to the rolling average. Both for Covid-19. They are correlated, which implies the curve is still steepening.

The daily average lines for motor vehicle deaths and influenza are provided for context not direct comparison.

A rolling average comparison graph between Covid-19 and Influenza A would be interesting, but separate from the intent of this graph.

Motor vehicle deaths are only interesting as context, not direct comparison, imo, as they are completely unrelated causes of death.

aggieland

WKR
Just scanned a Patient I believe probably has the viris, Wont know for sure without further testing. Multiple densities throughout the lungs.

Attachments

• 20200328_152229.jpg
    20200328_152229.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 83

ODB

WKR
Just scanned a Patient I believe probably has the viris, Wont know for sure without further testing. Multiple densities throughout the lungs.

Reports I’ve seen show it tends to move from the outer edges of the lungs inward. And also some that show these highlights “move” as the virus progresses.

tdot

WKR
Probably the 4th or 5th person we have scanned that is presumed to have C-19.

How long is it taking to get the results back? Locally here it has been as quick as 6 hours and as long as 8 days. Doesn't seem to be any consistency to why some are taking longer then others.

Mike7

WKR
I don't have much faith in the development of an effective vaccine any time soon for this particular virus. That hasn't went well for SARS 1 or the virus that causes MERS.

Another complicating factor for the response to this virus that I haven't seen mentioned here (I may have missed it though) is the poor sensitivity of the current testing. That combined with the great number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases, the incubation period, the significant severity in some patients, and the high infectivity make the response to this virus a challenge even under the best circumstances.

Having a skilled leader and business man at the controls who does not accept the bureaucratic staus quo or some of the excuses from other federal and state officials, instead having the typical politician leading the country, may in the end be responsible for saving more lives than any other single factor.

ODB

WKR
How long is it taking to get the results back? Locally here it has been as quick as 6 hours and as long as 8 days. Doesn't seem to be any consistency to why some are taking longer then others.

From what I understand some tests receive priority and are processed locally, others are sent to one of the big 8 Quest labs for processing. The delay is simply due the number of samples in line to be processed. I heard quest is trying to add another 4 labs to process tests and also the manufacture that makes the processing machine is trying to make more. Once an instant-style test is developed it will be much better. Once anti-body testing is available it will really tell us how long it’s been around.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Denying people egress from certain areas of the country has the potential to get ugly. There are limited police patrols nationwide as it is......

ODB

WKR
Denying people egress from certain areas of the country has the potential to get ugly. There are limited police patrols nationwide as it is......

Im telling you - one more week of this and people are gonna start a mutiny.

EastMT

WKR
I heard from a buddy in Montana there are NY plates all over out there, I think some people bailed and headed for the hills.......

The daily average lines for motor vehicle deaths and influenza are provided for context not direct comparison.
I agree with you. That’s why I said it’s misleading to put the flu/MVA death numbers that were calculated differently on that graph.
Either way in a week we will have more data to talk to.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
5 days ago USA death total was 580, today it is basically 3x that....in 120 hours. If that type of increase keeps up over the next few weeks and we get into 15,000-20,000 deaths total in the USA for a 3 week time span the hammer may drop on the country.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I hear that we start a statewide stay @ home order on Monday.....my county is already under one of those for the next month.

MtnOyster

WKR
Our Governor just asked all Kentucky residents to stay out of Tennessee, Nashville has turned into a hot spot, look at that state map all counties surrounding Nashville is hot right now they’re governor waited too long before taking any kind of action against covid19

From what I understand some tests receive priority and are processed locally, others are sent to one of the big 8 Quest labs for processing. The delay is simply due the number of samples in line to be processed. I heard quest is trying to add another 4 labs to process tests and also the manufacture that makes the processing machine is trying to make more. Once an instant-style test is developed it will be much better. Once anti-body testing is available it will really tell us how long it’s been around.
all of that will be very helpful.... the turnaround potential isn't doing us any favors.

any word on the anti-body test ETA?

Status
Not open for further replies.