What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife only gets to work 6 hours tomorrow due to no patients.

yea we are hardly running any medical calls at the fire station. And when we do transport to the hospital the hospitals seem very slow. Contrary to what the news portrays. We have seen a few suicides and heart attacks lately at work.

We have cancelled almost all non-emergent surgeries and catheterizations. For a heart hospital that's a big chunk of your money makers. We do now have 5 confirmed COVID patients in house with about 12 suspected cases, last time I checked. We are preparing an additional unit to be suspected cases and converting one over to COVID ICU, because that is coming.

It feels like a tidal wave is coming. Right now the surf is being pulled back out to sea and everyone on the beach is looking around wondering what's going on. All the while, the wave is coming.

Last edited:

Elk97

WKR
And this thing is just now really starting here. Give it a couple, three weeks and we’ll be wishing for days like today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, looks like it's really going to ramp up from here. WA has dropped to 10th as far as total cases even though we were hit with it first, but it's still doubling every 3-4 days so it's still going to be a while before it levels off and starts to decline.

OXN939

WKR
And this thing is just now really starting here. Give it a couple, three weeks and we’ll be wishing for days like today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True statement. However, by the time things get that bad, the U.S. will also be either much closer to or already over the statistical "hump" and new infections will have fallen significantly from the numbers we see now. Also, the percentage of the population that will have recovered and developed systemic immunity will be much higher by then. Per Dr. Fauci, countries have seen COVID run in approximately 8 week cycles, so if that were the case here, we'd be on our way down in a month.

Wife is a nurse and just shared a message from the hospital last night... a pile of nurses and doctors are getting pay cuts or hours cut - all the folks that are doing "elective" surgeries are not bringing in money so the medical system is getting stung too. Craziness.

Lawnboi

WKR
yea we are hardly running any medical calls at the fire station. And when we do transport to the hospital the hospitals seem very slow. Contrary to what the news portrays. We have seen a few suicides and heart attacks lately at work.

Same thing here. We have confirmed cases in the area and still slow. Bullshit calls have dropped down, still have all the normal emergencies. Kind of different. We are treating about everyone as positive, since we know if we let our guard down that’s when people at the station will start to get sick. We are small town, and have community spread.

Mt Al

WKR
systemic immunity

I've heard this phrase quite a bit. I get "immunity" but can you explain "systemic immunity"? Does that apply to individuals that have already had it and have antibodies, or does it apply across a population even to those who never had it?

Yes, there are stupid questions! This might be one, but it would be nice to know. Thank you.

jmez

WKR
The immunity thing is a wash. You need to have about 60% of your population before "herd immunity" has a real effect. That means we need to get 198 million people infected here to make a difference. Not happening.

jmez

WKR
A, would you expect China to be straight about anything? B, it is a novel virus, everyone knew that. You don't need to be straight about a novel virus. It will wreak havoc wherever it goes.

It started in China, that's about all they have to do with it.

jmez

WKR
They haven't and aren't locking anything down. Telling the old and susceptible to take precautions. Life going on as usual.

EastMT

WKR
They haven't and aren't locking anything down. Telling the old and susceptible to take precautions. Life going on as usual.

Well that’s one way to lower your pension payments fast.....

I guess we will see how it turns out, only one way to find out, somebody has to be the test run.

In all seriousness think the same thing could be done in a lot of our sparsely populated areas as well. NYC, other high density areas probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.