What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
👆🏻👆🏻👆
WV. Appreciated! This is a new and unprecedented situation.... We Americans have not been subject to a pandemic quite like this before. To be totally effective in shutting this down immediately, Trunp would have had to shut down the borders and. quarantine the whole country to their homes for weeks on end!!!
Can you imagine the bitching.... no...rioting that would have taken place at that point. We are sometimes too quick to forget that our freedom in and of itself can be a liability.
Simply a weakness of a democratic society and especially one that is so polarized right or left! Be thankful for your leaders! They certainly are empowered with much more information than we can obtain in making these decisions. For many reasons, I voted for trump and I will vote for him again but, Uncle Donny cannot take criticism and that is inarguable. Most type A's can't! He is struggling with this like anyone else would in his situation but, is likely doing as good of a job as anyone we could have voted for in the last election or this upcoming election for that matter!
What it amounts to is nobody is perfect yet, everyone has an uninformed opinion. As Ellison said, "'You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.'"
Unfortunately, we have a lot of ignorance going on here!

jmez

WKR
No thanks on the South Korea protocol.

When someone tests positive, health workers retrace the patient’s recent movements to find, test — and, if necessary, isolate — anyone the person may have had contact with, a process known as contact tracing.

This allows health workers to identify networks of possible transmission early, carving the virus out of society like a surgeon removing a cancer.

South Korea developed tools and practices for aggressive contact tracing during the MERS outbreak. Health officials would retrace patients’ movements using security camera footage, credit card records, even GPS data from their cars and cellphones.

“We did our epidemiological investigations like police detectives,”
Dr. Ki said. “Later, we had laws revised to prioritize social security over individual privacy at times of infectious disease crises.”

As the coronavirus outbreak grew too big to track patients so intensively, officials relied more on mass messaging.

South Koreans’ cellphones vibrate with emergency alerts whenever new cases are discovered in their districts. Websites and smartphone apps detail hour-by-hour, sometimes minute-by-minute, timelines of infected people’s travel — which buses they took, when and where they got on and off, even whether they were wearing masks.

People who believe they may have crossed paths with a patient are urged to report to testing centers.

South Koreans have broadly accepted the loss of privacy as a necessary trade-off.

People ordered into self-quarantine must download another app, which alerts officials if a patient ventures out of isolation. Fines for violations can reach $2,500.

By identifying and treating infections early, and segregating mild cases to special centers, South Korea has kept hospitals clear for the most serious patients. Its case fatality rate is just over one percent, among the lowest in the world.

No thanks on the South Korea protocol.

When someone tests positive, health workers retrace the patient’s recent movements to find, test — and, if necessary, isolate — anyone the person may have had contact with, a process known as contact tracing.

This allows health workers to identify networks of possible transmission early, carving the virus out of society like a surgeon removing a cancer.

South Korea developed tools and practices for aggressive contact tracing during the MERS outbreak. Health officials would retrace patients’ movements using security camera footage, credit card records, even GPS data from their cars and cellphones.

“We did our epidemiological investigations like police detectives,”
Dr. Ki said. “Later, we had laws revised to prioritize social security over individual privacy at times of infectious disease crises.”

As the coronavirus outbreak grew too big to track patients so intensively, officials relied more on mass messaging.

South Koreans’ cellphones vibrate with emergency alerts whenever new cases are discovered in their districts. Websites and smartphone apps detail hour-by-hour, sometimes minute-by-minute, timelines of infected people’s travel — which buses they took, when and where they got on and off, even whether they were wearing masks.

People who believe they may have crossed paths with a patient are urged to report to testing centers.

South Koreans have broadly accepted the loss of privacy as a necessary trade-off.

People ordered into self-quarantine must download another app, which alerts officials if a patient ventures out of isolation. Fines for violations can reach $2,500.

By identifying and treating infections early, and segregating mild cases to special centers, South Korea has kept hospitals clear for the most serious patients. Its case fatality rate is just over one percent, among the lowest in the world.

Yep. That's a good summary of how it works there. So the question becomes - what privacy/freedoms are Americans willing to sacrifice in order to stop a rapidly spreading virus? I would bet on this forum and as a whole Americans are not willing to accept the methods the South Koreans have successfully used (understandably so). At this early point in the unfolding of COVID19 in America, it is easier to feel that way versus what may or may not happen here when all is said and done and the virus is no longer a threat to society (crazy high death toll vs maybe a muted, subtler one due to rural population, cleaner air, less urbanization than Asian countries).

I listened to a journalist that's lived in Hong Kong for nine years, and they have to use QR codes on their phones to do anything - get on a bus, go to a movie, restaraunt, etc. Your personal QR code has algorithms built into that factor in exactly where you've been, if you've tested positive, etc. etc. If your QR code is in the yellow or red, you can't do much other than stay home.

It's BLACK MIRROR in real life.

jmez

WKR
As to your charts, yes, daily death tolls are accelerating in most places. Death tolls are a lagging indicator, you expect them to accelerate behind total case numbers. Doubling rates of deaths are a more reliable indicator for the progression and where you stand. Ours is currently 5 days, this has been lengthening. Italy is at 13 days and Spain 10 days. Updated daily.

Death Doubling rate

Italy turned the corner March 22 as their new cases have been dropping since then. Their deaths peaked on March 27 and have been declining since.

Spain turned the corner March 26 as their new cases have been dropping since. Their deaths peaked on April 2 and have been coming down since.

We have been down in cases since April 3rd. About 2 weeks behind Italy and a week behind Spain. If the downward trend continues then you would expect our deaths peak in the next day or two, if they haven't already. May be why our total death estimate got downgraded by 20,000 from two days ago.

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I will just say it:

Trump Is Awesome!

🇺🇸

Right here with you! 👍👊

I actually LOVE watching Trump talk. His no BS, call it how it is one liners kill me. I like it most when what he is very calmly and confidently professionally politely shreds politicians. My wife and I love watching and laughing at how funny he is.

He was duped early on. It is pretty apparent how long it takes for him to shake down someone he does business with. It didnt take too long before he saw through Fauci and his connections to the Gates and Clinton's. Gotta be tough constantly having to watch your back. I can only imagine some of the business deals he has done and techniques used to filter through a persons deception.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
This thread makes it painfully obvious that we will not unite during this crisis. And that we’re divided and just want to blame someone across the aisle. This is not what makes us better.

Unless Trump created this virus, you can stop blaming him for it. Should he have taken it more serious early on, and taken action sooner? Maybe. But he’s juggling many priorities. And I’m sure he has people who are experts on those priorities.

Democrats are at fault too. Delaying legislation and then blaming Trump for inaction is shitty political theater.

China is to blame, not because I think they made this thing on purpose, although that’s a possibility. They’re to blame because they lied and deceived the rest of the world, when the consequences were so high to other human beings. That’s not okay, no matter your political leanings.

NDGuy

WKR
Right here with you! 👍👊

I actually LOVE watching Trump talk. His no BS, call it how it is one liners kill me. I like it most when what he is very calmly and confidently professionally politely shreds politicians. My wife and I love watching and laughing at how funny he is.

He was duped early on. It is pretty apparent how long it takes for him to shake down someone he does business with. It didnt take too long before he saw through Fauci and his connections to the Gates and Clinton's. Gotta be tough constantly having to watch your back. I can only imagine some of the business deals he has done and techniques used to filter through a persons deception.
Can't tell if sarcasm...

I cannot fathom someone listening to him speak and thinking "that guy knows what he's talking about".

Are you actually trying to make an enemy out of Fauci who has been an infectious disease expert for 40+ years?

NDGuy

WKR
This thread makes it painfully obvious that we will not unite during this crisis. And that we’re divided and just want to blame someone across the aisle. This is not what makes us better.
Until we see accountability on all sides of the political spectrum we will be divided. Too many people sit around being complacent these days. Yes obviously the virus cannot be blamed on one person, party, or country. However, we need to hold accountable those who failed so the next time this happens we aren't in the same or worse position.

Accountability...man do I wish we had some in the US. Too many crooks walking around free that ruined thousands of lives and will continue to do so.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Until we see accountability on all sides of the political spectrum we will be divided. Too many people sit around being complacent these days. Yes obviously the virus cannot be blamed on one person, party, or country. However, we need to hold accountable those who failed so the next time this happens we aren't in the same or worse position.

Accountability...man do I wish we had some in the US. Too many crooks walking around free that ruined thousands of lives and will continue to do so.

I don’t disagree that we need accountability. We have elections coming up. Vote your mind. But accountability isn’t more important than getting thru a challenge together. After the challenge, we can debrief and hold people accountable.

If you were in a gunfight, and your teammate/leader/buddy was too slow to draw and return fire, would you stop and holler at him about it, while you’re still under fire? That’s what’s happening here.

EastMT

WKR
209438b39d95d241c150f90b8585dd95.jpg

This will be a long lasting legacy from the virus response. 159 days since last trillion. Now add 6+ trillion response, ought to be over 30 trillion in no time

And then there is absolute fear mongering crap like this. There is so much wrong with this it’s hard to know where to start.

Right here with you! 👍👊

Support who you gotta support, but please don't be one of 'these' people: Jordan Klepper @ Trump Rally Pre-COVID19

And then there is absolute fear mongering crap like this. There is so much wrong with this it’s hard to know where to start.

I thought it was a decent report. Didn't see any fear mongering...

Cases are going down in New York and L.A. and they have enough hospital beds.

Unclaimed bodies at the morgues for longer than two weeks, going to a mass burial site.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.