what are your top 3 items not to cheap out on?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
1. Time
2. Boots
3. Optics

Certainly not a weapon. I could get by with a $300 rifle with a $200 rifle scope on it if I had to. :D

joelbiltz

WKR
Luke I agree with you on the weapon thing to a extent. You have to be comfortable and know what you and your weapon of choice can do. Thats why I added it. If you cant shoot it you are wasting time and money.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Boots, binoculars, bag (sleeping)

But a good pack is pleasant too, so I got a good one as well.

jmez

WKR
1. Boots, really needs no further discussion
2. Rain gear. You can get by with a lot, you get soaked and you are going home. Want to test this go to Alaska and spend 14 days in the back country, I would put this at 1b with the boots.
3. Optics, the country is so big almost futile to to try to hunt it without good glass unless you have a pocket and the animals are there and stay there. Without good glass you are on a hiking and camping trip.

Shelter I would consider important but don't see the need to spend top $$$ on it. I have a Mountain Hardware tent I got off of ebay for $60, it had been slept in twice. Has held up to everything thrown at it so far. Stays dry, hasn't blown down etc. You can save a little weight by spending more money but I don't think the quality would go up any. I think you can budget here and be fine.

Pack was a popular choice. There are a lot of packs that work fine that don't break the bank. That is a simple matter of comfort. If you are a hardcore bivy hunter or packing stuff for three months straight I would probably put this above optics. For my foray's I would like to have a better pack but it is not a necessity .

bobhunts

WKR
Boots and packs would be on the top two and I had to rethink regarding #3..first off the cuff was a shelter. But clothing and optics count too so I guess I will think about it for a while but I am leaning towards clothing. Bob.