What backup Gear do you leave in the truck?

rj2

WKR
For an out of state backpack hunt, what backups are you leaving in the truck? My main reason for asking was that I was wondering if I should leave a spare sleeping bag in the truck since mine is down, and was wondering if anyone else takes a backup sleeping bag in case something happens and it gets soaked? The more I think about it, I feel like I should just go through the gear list and pick anything that would ruin the hunt if it failed but that would probably be overkill..

Anyways, here's a list of spares/backups I had planned on leaving in the truck for a CO archery Elk hunt so far.

backup bow
spare headlamp batteries
backup isobutane canister & stove
spare socks, undies, pants, boots
backup cell phone
backup sleeping pad
backup sleeping bag?
backup shelter?

rayporter

WKR
knives
saw
extra tarps
meat bags
a couple sheets to cover meat.
food to spend the night at the truck
water
sleeping bag and pad-to spend night at the truck
stove

Watch your bow if you are hunting somwhere hot and consider general security if there is a breakin risk.

I usually pack some extra gear and make a final call on go or no go when I arrive. Sometimes I pick up some last minute intel. Weather shifts. I get a look at the terrain. Just something that changes my mind from when I packed and I either add or remove some gear.

For specific back up I usually bring extra clothes, sleeping bag and pad. Extra food. I am believer in a spare gun/bow if practical. Extra ammo and arrows. Bow/gun Maintenance and repair stuff and tools. I also have some go bag / survival stuff in my truck that I could dip into for firestarters and a few other things if needed.

Canned soup like chunkys or other food you don’t want to pack in.

Jumper box.

Compression knee sleeves that cover calves too. Something to roll our legs for second and 3rd loads on pack out.

Pillow for sleeping in truck.

Tip: Wrap cooler with secondary sleeping bag and pad to insulate ice even better. Have like $300 on you.

Victory beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. I think there is 2 different categories we are talking about. There are some things that will stay in the truck like truck camp luxuries, meat care, etc. (pillows, blankets for coolers, good water/food, etc) which I have some of as well.

I would like to talk about that stuff too, but I was more interested in backup backpacking gear, rather than extras or maybes. I guess it might be good to split it up

This is my backup/spares list:
backup bow
spare headlamp batteries
backup isobutane canister & stove
spare socks, undies, pants, boots
backup cell phone
backup sleeping pad
backup sleeping bag?
backup shelter?

And this would be more like the stuff that stays in the truck as extras/luxuries, but wouldn't really be used while backpacking:
Spotter/Tripod
Comfy Camp Clothes
Pillow
Meat Care
Good Food/Coffee/Water
Towel/Soap/Deodorant/TP/Body Wipes
Spare Key

It seems like you got all the essentials besides extra rain jacket.

Personally my gear and repair kits are so dialed in I dont have any extra backpacking stuff besides clothing and boots in truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KBC

WKR
I’m a little short on some gear. Where are you guys parking? ;)

in all seriousness though, extra sleeping stuff, food and old boots. Also batteries and stove fuel.

My first few trips I took an entire spare pack set up. Everything was doubled up in case something happened. Then I started worrying about some clowns breaking into my truck and stealing all my spare gear. Sucks worrying about theft when you’re a few miles in the backcountry. Now I carry a few things already mentioned above but I’m super confident in my gear selection now so having back ups and extra stuff isn’t really a need for me.

Reactions: rj2

Tick

WKR
Extra clothes, food, water filter, and a sleep pad are the only spare items I take on a hunt and leave in the truck. Cheap stuff that wouldn't entice someone to break in.

rbljack

WKR
In the truck, I make sure to have extra fuel for the butane stove, extra batteries, extra backpack meals prepped and ready, extra pair of hunting pants, extra clothes in general like socks, shirts, etc. Extra Ammo for rifle hunts. Id say extra release and arrows for bow hunts. Extra pair of boots, gaiters stay there too unless there is snow on the ground and I need to wear them in. Extra backpack typically stays in the truck, and an extra shelter, along with extra air pad and sleeping bag. I leave the bag uncompressed, and covering the coolers that are holding the ice if they are in the cab of the truck. keeps the sun off them and helps to keep them cold.

Id say that's about it for the extra backpack gear. For the other gear that stays with the truck:
Extra cloths, reserve cash, cold drinks in the cooler, base camp shelter, fold up chairs, maybe a propane tank and Mr buddy heater and a coleman stove, frying pan, cooking oil. I also make sure to have an axe and bow saw. If you have even been in an area where they have had fires, you will understand the need to carry those. On windy days you never know when a tree may be blown across the road and blocking your way in to the trailhead, or keeps you from getting back to the highway.

Beyond that, recovery gear, snatch strap and a shovel...oh and extra TP...LOL

Good grief, some of y'all might as well throw up a "free hunting gear" sign on the tailgate! I try not to leave anything other than coolers and road trip clothes in the truck. Maybe a couple extra meals.

I don't like giving people an excuse to bust a window on my truck, and I always figured good gear is only going to let me down if I do something stupid first.

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
and I always figured good gear is only going to let me down if I do something stupid first.

I have no problem admitting I've done plenty of stupid shit. And the fact that we all eff up once in awhile is why I brought it up.

I don't want to spend a few thousand bucks, take time off work, and travel across the country to have my hunt compromised for some stupid reason. Have a bow limb splinter or boots blow out, break cell phone, etc. I look at it like this, if its just gonna cost me a few bucks to have some backup equip that will keep me in the field in case of a failure, its a no brainer.

Phaseolus

WKR
I leave my Wiggy’s bag in the truck just in case I end up there with my camp still in the woods. I kind of hope someone will steal that Wiggy’s bag Though.

Wassid82

WKR
food, water, BOOTS!, sleeping bag, tent, cot, knives, rifle, ammo, batteries, headlamps, clothes, bivy,

Rob5589

WKR
Good grief, some of y'all might as well throw up a "free hunting gear" sign on the tailgate! I try not to leave anything other than coolers and road trip clothes in the truck. Maybe a couple extra meals.

I don't like giving people an excuse to bust a window on my truck, and I always figured good gear is only going to let me down if I do something stupid first.
I hear ya. I leave nothing that I will miss in any significant way as well as leaving my shell window unlocked. Hopefully the f-tards try that first before breaking something.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Defiantly sleeping bag and some food/water In case I have to sleep in the truck between pack outs. I leave a sleeping bag in the back of my truck year round lol

22lr

WKR
I usually have a larger old school sleeping bag in the truck just incase I get stuck, but that's a year round thing. Also a good set of spare base layers and a parka (more for getting stuck in the truck than anything else). I always have snacks/a good meal ready but never leave food in the truck unless I really want my truck broken into. So I usually throw it in a bag and tie it up in a tree close by.

Only other thing I try to keep handy is an extra box of ammo. Just incase I'm having one of those days and need to fend off a pack of ferocious wolves... or just miss my deer 14 times and need to rezero everything... :)

Jauwater

WKR
Water / Food / Headlamp / Batteries

I also have a truck camp cooking setup I always have in my truck. Larger stove, pot & pan.

I usually wont leave anything insight. The stove / Cooking setup is under my backseat. Headlamp and, batteries are in the glove compartment. The water and, food I'll stash under my front seats. I've also had a vehicle broken into. I was working out of town and, just stopped by a trail for a short hike before leaving town. I was gone maybe 2 hours and, they got just about all my tools. Did enough damage to the ignition and, wiring under dash and, other interior damage that insurance would have totalled that vehicle. Vehicle was stuck there for over a week, with me driving back and, forth, two hours each trip for tools and, parts. Tow truck couldn't get up to it. It was such a headache. I hate a thief.

Be careful what you leave behind. It doesnt happen to everybody but, it does happen. And it always seems to happen at the worst time and, place.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk