What backup Gear do you leave in the truck?

I typically keep things simple and hopefully undesirable. I keep a box of Cliff bars, some water, a roll of TP, a travel-size pack of butt wipes, a trekking pole, a box of ammo, one set of street clothes, and a spare headlamp with batteries. Only the ammo is kept out of site. If I am hunting solo and going after something larger than a Coues, then I will keep a frame pack in the vehicle as well.

There are far too many thieves out there.

Mosby

WKR
I normally leave a cook kit, fire starter, small first aid kit, sun block and bug spray, maps, batteries, head lamp, flash light, multi tool, bottled water, cheap tarp and a few cheap polar fleece blankets in my truck. That is normally in my truck year round.

During hunting season, I might have a cooler, some extra food, ammo, TP, paper towels, hand wipes, clothes and pair of boots. My truck cooler has a master lock in the lid and cable lock that ties it into the truck. The cooler is probably the most expensive piece of equipment I leave in the truck. It also gives me a place to lock up some of my equipment like binoculars etc., when I am going to stop at a restaurant, gas station or grocery store, especially when I am by myself.

I used to carry all types of back up equipment but it was a lot to carry, it always seemed to be in the way and I seldom needed it. Now I try to keep extra stuff to a minimum and make due with what I have.

I generally don’t bring backup gear, but I think I’m going to start leaving a spare sleeping pad in the truck after mine blew an internal seam 2 years ago on the first night of the trip. It still held air but was like sleeping on a deflated beach ball. I considered hiking out and driving back into town, but it would have taken a full day and I wasn’t sure I could find a place to buy one. I did leave my Mountainsmith shelter there as the other guy didn’t want to go flourless so we used his Ozark trail tent. I didn’t have much faith it would hold up to a storm.

Otherwise I’ve just left a down vest there in the event that a cold front rolls in and the clothing I packed isn’t warm enough. I’ve tyoially carried my base layer bottoms but may start leaving them at the truck too as they usually aren’t necessary.

USMC-40

WKR
Extra food packed in ziplock bags that contain 48 hours worth of food. A bunch of gatorade - usually when I get back to the truck Im pretty dehydrated. Extra battery chargers (cant remember the name, but allow you to recharge phone/gps/headlamp). Some dry clothes packed in a grocery bag, in case I get back wet, or have a mishap that makes me end up wet. Large first aid kit.

Ripalip7

FNG
I would think about the things that if you broke or lost them that might ruin your hunt. I take a spare of about everything except for a weapon. I agree that there is aways a possibility of someone breaking into my rig and taking it but I sleep better know I have backup gear with me. The other thing for me is that I do alot of back pack hunting so I need two of everything anyways. I will have a spike camp and a base camp. If for example I end up somewhere closer to my base camp at the end of the day I can go there and stay the night and not worry about having my only sleeping bag at my spike camp.

*zap*

WKR
Only day hunting here, I have water, food, warm clothes and extra footwear in the vehicle.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
For replacement gear to use in the field, I've got spare boots, a spare sleeping pad, spare headlamp, extra consumables (gallon of water, couple dehydrated meals, spare IFAK with medications like antihistamines and painkillers, spare batteries, toilet paper), and an extra pair of sunglasses and ear pro.

For gear I only use at the car, I've got a spare sleeping bag (a 5lb flannel and canvas monstrosity that's much nicer to sleep in than the mummy bag I use in the field; I figure if I'm overnighting in my car I might as well enjoy it), a larger cookset, Work Sharp sharpener, folding saw, a more substantial FAK, and a couple Gatorades.

I keep everything I need for more serious weapon maintenance in the car too. If I'm using a rifle, that'll be a small driver with all the necessary bits including a torque bit, enough spare ammo to sight in with, a spare stick-on target, small bottle of Remoil, and a small tube of blue Loctite. If I'm using a bow, it's the same driver with different bits, a small bow press, spare string and peep, string wax, spare release, 3 spare arrows and 1 spare judo point for the incidental grouse, and a stick of hot melt glue.