What Beany are you using

I prefer a camo ballcap when hiking. Only time I switch to a beanie is when its cold and i want warmth and to keep my ears warm. If late season sometimes I'll leave the ball cap at home and just put my beanie in my pocket while hiking. Being bare headed seems to help me from getting overheated when hiking. Beanie's are easy on / easy off pieces so I don't mind a warm one.

Mike

jmez

WKR
I prefer a polar fleece ball cap with ear flaps. Have a Kryptek beanie but it moves all over my head and always comes up off of my ears. Have never been a fan of beanies and wear a cap every day so much prefer that route. If it is really cold I wear a wool Stormy Kromer type hat, but with full ear flaps.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
I'm very sensitive to cold on the old noggin, especially when combined with wind. I've tried many, many caps over the years, and my favorite is the Filson Merino Wool Skull Cap. It fits tightly, covers the entire ear, and won't let wind through. It's even available in an olive green color similar to foliage green. I wouldn't trade mine for anything else out there!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
This will likely be my next beanie in the duffel/black color combo. Full ear coverage and a snug fit plus wind proof...
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men's-Dome-Perignon™/OM4962,default,pd.html

Mike

You mean like this one Mike?
SANY0550-1.jpg

SANY0830.jpg

IMG_5660-C.jpg

IMGP0665.jpg

IMGP0570.jpg

IMGP0611.jpg

IMGP0562.jpg

Yeah we like those ones too :D

luke moffat

Super Moderator
But Mr. Avery thinks this should be my new favorite beanie :D

Attachments

• Favorite Beanie.jpg
    Favorite Beanie.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 80
That last one is a for sure trend-setter!!! ;)

Glad to see you and Becca sporting the MH beanie! That gives me some confidence that I'll like it! ;)

Mike

I have a beanie problem. I have ones from Kuiu, Sitka, or, ua, first lite. I run in them year round. For the backcountry I take the Kuiu and the first lite brimmed.

jaime7818

FNG
I live in california. So, I use a lightweight polartec, tactical style, beannie with windshear. Its thin and breaths well but still stops the wind. It cost like $8. Polartec neck gaitor, $8 or so. Then I have the MH Dome perignon in case it ever gets cold enough. I havent had to use the MH yet. My polartec is warm, and very breathable.

bbrown

WKR
You guys running the First Lite brimmed beany - have you figured out a way to keep the brim formed like a ball cap? I really like the beany but I hate the how the bill does not hold its shape.

TXCO

WKR
Most of the beanies I've tried from Kuiu and Sitka don't completely cover my ears, so I like ones from Mountain Hardwear and OR that are windproof.

Im right there with you Luke. It really frustrates me. Im in the market for one I can put over a ballcapthat will cover my ears. This gives stability to my hat in wind and the hat keeps the beanie in place and water off my face in the rain.

Kotaman

WKR
I, like many others here have several...Agreed the KUIU, Sitka etc. are not the answer. I tried one on like Luke's in black and really liked, so I ordered one. Right now my favorite is a UA Fleece Hat called the Blustery. Deeper than most UA hats and stays down over my ears. The only decent color it comes in is Grey though.

For a lighter weight beanie, I like the old Sitka Timberline Beanie. Love that one and usually buy when I find one. Again it is "deeper" than the new Sitka lids. The new Sitka and KUIU beanies are just too shallow for my big head. The First Lite Beanies have always intriqued me, but I've never tried one.

swat8888

WKR
I use the Kuiu merino and the Sitka with wind stopper....forget the model name but it is super warm, covers your ears completely. Only issue is the wind stopper stuff hinders your hearing so I'll flip the ears up when stalking.