What bivy under Silex?

I’m looking to pick up a lightweight floorless shelter with versatility to be used in buggy/critter filled areas and also in colder weather with a stove. I was thinking of the SO silex as I like the zipperless design. I know they make a nest for it but then you can’t run the stove. Figured a bivy I could have options. Should I just go with a bug bivy to have the waterproof ground pad and also less issues with condensation under the shelter? Better bivy options? Any suggestions?

I’ve got a Borah Gear SnowySide eVent bivy I use with my Tut or flat tarp and occasionally inside a full tent to keep my sleep system together and add a few degrees of temp rating. Definitely one of my better purchases over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usi05

WKR
Loving the borah I picked up off here a few weeks ago. Well made, light, holds gear together and helps buck the elements a tad.

Only complaint is a got a long wide and I could do just fine with a regular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MeatSeaker
Do you guys run the borah big bivy or their other bivy? I was debating which one to get. I was thinking the regular bivy under a shelter/tarp might deal with more condensation vs the bug bivy.

KyleR1985

WKR
I use an EE recon bivy in my silex. Works just fine, and like others have said, keeps the whole sleep system clean and contained. If I don't have a huge load to pack, I just roll it up like a burrito (Tyvek ground sheet, bivy, pad, quilt) and lay in meat shelf on pack. Compresses easy with the pack cinch straps, and takes three seconds to deploy for camp. If I'm bushwhacking or need space, i'll take the time to stuff sack everything and pack it down tighter.

Any bivy will work with the silex - they're independent really.

NrthFrk16

Lil-Rokslider
Send John at Borah that link and he will know what to build. Those pics are actually what he showed me when I decided to have build me one.

I run the silex with the Borah Gear UL side bivy. It’s a great setup. The borah is one of the lightest and toughest for the weight savings. The side bivy I feel is better to keep the dirt and dust out and doesn’t make you feel trapped. Having the bottom enclosed helps if you ever do have condensation drop off the tent to keep your bag drier and the half netting helps it breath a lot. I would recommend this setup over the bug bivy if you are in dusty areas just to keep the dirt out. The silex is a great tent as well. I had it in about 30-40mph gusts and it held up. It does move more than a single pole tent I feel like but if you aim it into the wind right its not bad and the extra room makes it easy to stay away from the sides if it is moving a little. Can’t beat it for a trekking pole tent.