What bladder are you using?

I've got a 2L Source. I'm debating on picking up something larger so I won't have to carry a drom bag for my bivy hunt. What bladders are you guys using? Pros and cons of each would be great.

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering the same thing. I've been using Cabelas brand bladders and Camelbak as well the last 10 years. I think it is time for an upgrade.

This weekend I looked at the Platypus "Big Zip" bladder. I think I will go with this bladder for a couple reasons. #1, the upper end of the bladder zips completely open which will making cleaning it a breeze. This feature is very appealing due to that fact that cleaning has always been a pain in the past. #2, I've been told that they are very durable as well.

Anyone else have any experience with the Platypus Big Zip?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a big zip. I really like it. Much more versatile than a 2L IMO. If you don't wanna pack 3L than just don't fill it up full, but then you stll have the option to fill it full if needed.

a3dhunter

WKR
I have the 3L Source, wouldn't switch to a 2L for anything.

The Source that I have has the big opening up top as well and seals real good, no leaks.

Lawnboi

WKR
MSR is the only one i trust. You can always get the hose kit for your drom bag, they also come in alot of sizes.

The main reason i went away from platy is they developed stress cracks, and puncture super easy. The drom bags are also very easy to clean.

Lawnboi

WKR
Just another thing to mention, i use my bladders alot. Of 3 platy bladders iv owned in the last couple years (none of them were the big zip), only one is still working(small tears from stress, they puncture really easily). The dromlite is going to definetly be the more durable of the 2, its going to cost a bit more though. You probably wont be dissappointed with either, until you feel that water dripping down your back like i did :)

Lawnboi

WKR
I looked at it in stores. Same material ad the from lites, but I went with the regular drom bags and hose because they are easier to clean, and also more versatile

OP
ohhiitznik
I've got a 10 L regular drom, this would just be strictly a bladder. How does it fit in your kifaru fully loaded? If I went with a drom lite it would be the 4l I'm sure.

Lawnboi

WKR
I can fit my 6l in my timberline full. That bladder pocket is huge! You would have no problem with the 4l. I'm actually thinking of getting a 4 l lite as well to add to my stable.

And even for strictly a bladder I still think the drom+ hose is the way to go. So much easier to clean.

G Posik

WKR
the same 3L Camelbak I have used for a few years. I am sure there are lighter and better ones, but this one has served me well.

Glenn