what bone is this?

kpk

WKR
I'm assuming this is from a cow, but what exactly is this bone? I found one like this while walking a river the other day and didn't think anything of it at the time. The one I found was completely rounded off on the left side - looked really old. Probably about 15" long. This is the only picture I've found that looks similar....

1661909968292.png

Correct. Vertebral body sits in the left of the picture, spinal canal next (the circular whole), then the spinous process to the right.

Reactions: kpk
OP
kpk

kpk

WKR
Correct. Vertebral body sits in the left of the picture, spinal canal next (the circular whole), then the spinous process to the right.

I was thinking the hole must've been for the spinal cord when I was looking at it. But, that entire end was almost perfectly round, almost like someone had taken it to a belt sander. I suppose squirrels/mice could've chewed on it before it ended up in the river or something. It was just very odd to find it in the area I did.

I'm assuming this is from a cow, but what exactly is this bone? I found one like this while walking a river the other day and didn't think anything of it at the time. The one I found was completely rounded off on the left side - looked really old. Probably about 15" long. This is the only picture I've found that looks similar....

View attachment 446935

A vertebrae with a long spinous process such as the one in the photo would suggest a bison thoracic vertebrae.

Google "bison thoracic vertebrae" and you will see it.

I have found several in an area that was a historic bison crossing on the Missouri RIver.

ClearCreek

Reactions: kpk