what boot for a narrow heel?

sk1

WKR
hey guys, in the market for new boots for next season.....finally going to spring the money for a nice pair without trying to get too ridiculous on price. I have a very narrow heel and have issues with it sliding out of i guess the heel cup? It has always caused me problems finding boots that fit and don't hurt. I currently use the rocky mountain stalker boots in 10", but after one and a half seasons the soles are falling off....my other boot is a 10" irish setter elk tracker in 200gram thinsulate, which fits but not quite as well as the rocky.

those were the boots ive come up with over the last 3 years, and i have literally tried on every boot at sportsmans and cabelas.....to include mendells (sp?) and kenetreks....not to mention purchased and returned several.

i prefer leather boots and 8 to 10" height, the height thing has stopped me from trying the asolo sasslong's i was thinking about.

anyone have any thoughts? looking to find a boot that will last me a bit hopefully

For boots, I stay away from sportsmans and cabelas. Love 'em, but they do hunting stuff a lot better than boots. REI and mountaineering stores are better for quality mountain boots.

I have a narrow heel and the Lowa Trekker (narrow model - basically a B width) fits me perfectly. These boots are probably not 8-10" high but will provide excellent support for backpacking and hunting. They will work for anything short of technical mountaineering.

If Lowas are not your thing, then try other European-make boots. A boot maker once told me that Euros have narrower heels in general so their boots are cut a little tighter.

Hey I've spent a lot of time in your neck of the woods. Grew up in Ogden.

Cheers

Another thought . . . I spent some time doing spring ascents on local Ogden peaks (Ben Lomond, Mt. Ogden, etc.) wearing a pair of Raichle (sp?) mountain boots. They are another european brand with a very narrow heel cup but not too tight up front near the toes. However, they were not cheap even 15 years ago.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
thanks for the suggestions, i figured ill be ending up with a European boot just not sure which, or something custom sized, i think my buddy did that with his whites? boots, measured and sent in his sizing...im trying to not go much over $300, but if its the right boot, it might happen

yeah i can see ben lomond from my house.....beautiful country

i like the looks of that Lowa Tibet Pro GTX

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
Sierra trading post has hanwags with an adjustable heel . yellow trim , ugly but top quality. Catch a sale code for 35% off and get a heck of a deal.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Sierra trading post has hanwags with an adjustable heel . yellow trim , ugly but top quality. Catch a sale code for 35% off and get a heck of a deal.

that adjustable heel seems like a cool idea, but im not so sure on those boots.....i usually figure true mountaineering boots will be way too stiff.....there are definitely times it would be nice, but on flat ground or rolling hills im willing to bet it will not be very comfortable

wish i could find a boot i wanted on STP they always have such good deals......the more I look at that Lowa Tibet GTX the more I want to try it,.....but I want to make sure I look at other options before buying

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Consider calling Steve at Lathrop and Sons. I have the dreaded wide foot and narrow heel combo, and the Hanwag Mtn Lights have been perfect for me.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
I have seen those, but not looked at them for a bit......I wonder if the fit on the Hanwag Alaska GTX is the same, I prefer leather boots when I can and it says they are built on the same platform

Thanks, I'll add that to my list, I may need to give them a call and learn more

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Lathrops still have the Alaska GTX on sale for $244

that's what im looking at.....and due to my issues i think i want to custom fit them, and upgrade the insoles.....now is probably the right time to buy.

I'll give them a call on tuesday and find out how long the sale goes for......i read a comparison post on bowsite on the hanwag alaska gtx and lowa tibet gtx....people seem to love both boots but when it comes to fitting issues it seems like lathrop and sons really tries hard to take care of the customer, for that reason i will most likely go with them

ckleeves

WKR
STP had Hanwag Yukon's a few weeks ago (leather lined version of the Alaskans) for a great deal I bought a pair with coupons and it came to 160 something with shipping. I can't tell much difference between Hanwag Alaskans and Lowa Tibets fwiw. Both great boots. If your a size 11 let me know I have a few pairs of good boots I'm gonna be selling soon due to foot issues making me upsize to 11.5.

i have similar feet to you i think. the stiffer the boot the more pronounced the heel lift as well.
lowas seem to fit my feet best as far as the boots ive tried on at rei. i just got the hanwag alaskans and they are the best fitting stiff boot ive tried. i havent been outside in them yet.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i have similar feet to you i think. the stiffer the boot the more pronounced the heel lift as well.
lowas seem to fit my feet best as far as the boots ive tried on at rei. i just got the hanwag alaskans and they are the best fitting stiff boot ive tried. i havent been outside in them yet.

good to hear, ill be calling about the hanwag alaskans today

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
well i placed my order today......thank god the hanwag alaska gtx are on sale!! time i did the synergy footbeds custom fitted in the boot, and the boot paste, tax, and shipping came out to like $355!! and they were $100 on sale....i hope they are worth the price, kinda hard to spend so much on a pair of boots you cant try on, but i know they'll do everything they can to get them fitting right....also i ordered a half size up per their direction off of some measurements they had me take, so concerned they wont fit right, but we'll see!

was a little confused on the tax thing, thought ordering them online there wouldnt be any

Last edited:

Gman

WKR
well i placed my order today......thank god the hanwag alaska gtx are on sale!! time i did the synergy footbeds custom fitted in the boot, and the boot paste, tax, and shipping came out to like $355!! and they were $100 on sale....i hope they are worth the price, kinda hard to spend so much on a pair of boots you cant try on, but i know they'll do everything they can to get them fitting right....also i ordered a half size up per their direction off of some measurements they had me take, so concerned they wont fit right, but we'll see!

was a little confused on the tax thing, thought ordering them online there wouldnt be any

Good luck. Just wear them in the house (alot) so you can get a sense if they're keepers or not. I have a similar shaped foot, although it's more like a duck (narrow heel, wide forefoot) and have gone through alot of the same trials you have. Unfortunately it's not easy and does cost a bunch. I've had luck with the Meindls with memory foam in the heel area because that helps to wrap around the ankle. Salomons for a lighter boot also have a nice narrow heel cup. Aron has finicky feet and he can chime in too on some good boot fits for your foot -- but unfortunately for tough to fit feet it's a lot of trial and error and costly.

One poster mentioned the stiff sole issue and I agree. If I have too stiff a sole I either get heel lift or the sole drives my heel into the back of the boot causing pressure and pain so I try to not get into the hard core mountaineering boots.

Good luck. Let us know how you like the Hanwags! Oh, and for good boots a $350ish price tag is right in there so don't feel bad. You picked up a great pair of boots if they fit.

KMT

WKR
I to have a narrow foot and heal. I ahve found that Asolo boots have a good fit for narrow feet.

Agreed. I have ha a pair of Asolo 520 gortex boots for 10 years. I will replace them with the same boot when I finally need another pair. I have found nothing better.