What boots have a large toe box and are made in a wide?

a3dhunter

WKR
For those with a wide foot and needing a bog toe box, what boot works for you?

I end up with rubbing on the tops of my toes leading to blisters, even with excellent wool socks used with liner socks as well. I have always just dealt with it, but was wondering what you guys have found.

Currently have used Meindl's Denali and Lowa's Ranger.
Looking for something not too tall.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the same issue leading to many lost toenails...I went to the perfekt hiker by Meindl..The toe box has saved my toes for sure, No more bloody toes...They have two styles..Great boot for the price and very comfortable with excellent support!

I have a size 13 EE boot. Soloman Quest 4d Backpacking boot. I'm a big guy like you A3d, and that boot is very comfortable. It also gives great ankle support and the waterproofing is excellent. Take a look at them you won't be disappointed.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
I have a size 13 EE boot. Soloman Quest 4d Backpacking boot. I'm a big guy like you A3d, and that boot is very comfortable. It also gives great ankle support and the waterproofing is excellent. Take a look at them you won't be disappointed.

I had looked at them last season and my hunting partner Jake had them, but he has had an issue with stitching coming loose already.
The other problem was they soaked up water like a sponge.

While I occasionally really like having a lightweight hiker, I do want a leather boot that I can waterproof.

3d, I'd recommend you try a custom made boot. I've got a pair of Russell Moccasin boots that I absolutely love. If your looking for something that's not too tall, I'd suggest the Wapiti Rambler. Have a look at their website http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots_mountainhunting/boots_mt.html, I think you'll like what you see, the boots are fully customized to your wants/needs, custom made to your foot measurements, and are tougher than hell.

russellmoccasinwapiti_rambler.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
3d,

You might want to take a look at the Crispi line of boots. They are making them in wide as well. I used a pair of the Grand Paradiso and loved them with one hitch; I need to go up a half size as steep decents caused my toes to hit the front. They have a very generous toe box and really seemed to lock in my narrow heel better than hanwags. I need to put mine up for sale and order the next size, but I am going to get the exact same boot. Here's the link: http://www.crispiusa.com/

Lawnboi

WKR
I'd just get custom boots from Russell or lathrop. If I went through that many high end boots that didn't work that's what i would do.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Lowa Baltoro... Got a wide footbox and an outstanding pair of boots!

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR

Was at REI this weekend and had them pull a pair out that would fit me, tried them on and there were a few things I liked, including how snug the heel was and the width was okay, but the front toe box is very narrow on the outside of the foot. I had plenty of length but the way the front of the boot turned in from the outside it caused my toes to rub real bad.

Went back to my Lowa Ranger's for now.

Mike7

WKR
Thank you for this thread! Does anyone with extra wide feet have some boots that they love? I have never really found a pair of boots that I just love. I think the best fitting boots I've ever had was 20 yrs ago when Merrel made some wide "Wilderness" hiking boots. These were great for loads less than 45 lbs.

I have 11 4E (NewBalance size) feet which are great for stability, but suck for boot fit. Dunham Boots Co. which use NewBalance sizes is great for 11 4E dress shoes, but they don't make good backcountry boots.

My current backup/older pair of boots are wide Montrail GTX boots which fit pretty well and are pretty good mid-weight/stiffness boots, but are the nubuck leather type which breathe well but are not fully waterproof once the gortex liner goes. I hate having to spray them with stinky silicone before every wet weather trip (the less stinky waterproof sprays at the hunting stores never seem to work as well for me). They also could use a better vibram sole for hill climbing off trail. My newest pair of boots that I currently own are Zamberlan 1006 Vioz's, which are just wide enough and are a well built leather boot, but they are effectively a little low coming up the back of the heel if one has to do a lot of hill climbing. With a stiff but very short boot like this, it really increases the chance of heel blisters if I'm on a lot of steep hills because there is nothing there to hold my heel down (and I don't typically get blisters). Hopefully these will get better as I continue to break them in. The Zamberlan 1009 Vioz is taller but of course heavier and comes with insulation in it, so not so great likely for an all season boot.

I would just love to find a good, wide, real leather boot without a bunch of thinsulate insulation, beacause I wear thick merino wool socks as needed and I can waterproof real leather. I could care less about waterproof liners as they all seem to break down and seem to further decrease the breathablility. I haven't found a Salomon or Lowa boot yet that I can fit into but not sure if I've tried the Lowa's mentioned above. I have heard about the Lathrop custom boots, Kennetreks, and the Island Pros, but after prior online failures of ordering boots without being able to try them on, I am nervous about doing that.

It sounds like a lot of wide footed guys above like the Meindls? I guess I could try on some variety of Meindls that I could find locally to check out sizing and then order the appropriate backcountry model?...I just may have to do that.

I did not know that the Crispi's came in widths?

Gman

WKR
I feel your pain Mike7. I tried the Lathrops and they don't make the Hanwag in a wide, so they'll bump them out for you if you're close but I wouldn't recommend them if you have a solid wide foot. What I learned from all of this, is that some of us have very hard feet to fit! I have a narrow heel, high instep, and wide forefoot. I think the Island Pros fit me well due to the memory foam around the ankle, just seems to secure everything up just right, where I would always get heel slip in other boots. I had a Lowa Baffin Pro that I loved but it was a regular width and mashed my toes. I would have tried that in a wide size but now I have a pair that finally fit I have to stop experimenting. I was also interested in those Solomon 4d boots for warmer weather. Solomon has always been my goto in snowboarding boots so maybe I'll give them a try. After years of mangled feet I'm not anxious to go through that ordeal again. Maybe we should start a threat of pics of our torn up feet, with a warning not to view right after a meal!

Mike7

WKR
Gman, it sounds like our feet are the same except that my heel is average width. I can use Superfeet, etc. to get the arches close for carrying a heavy load, but I can't make the boots have a wider/taller forefoot and toe box. I will definitely have to try some wide Meindls like the Island Pros next then, thanks.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
I wear Brooks size 11 or 11.5 4E.
I have used the Meindl Denali's for years in a wide and picked up the Lowa Ranger in a wide this year. I have been wearing them 2-3 days a week to work for the last two months and they felt a little tight to begin with but have broken in nicely.

Guys, this is part of the reason I went with the Russell Moccasin boots, they are custom made to the dimensions of your foot. I was in an auto accident coming home from an elk hunting trip, that resulted in a smashed right foot. Ever since then, my right foot is a little wider than my left, to the point that I need a wider boot. Decided that the best route for me was a boot custom made to my foot. I've been nothing but happy with the boots, and it sounds to me like some of you guys could stand a little boot happiness.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
Guys, this is part of the reason I went with the Russell Moccasin boots, they are custom made to the dimensions of your foot. I was in an auto accident coming home from an elk hunting trip, that resulted in a smashed right foot. Ever since then, my right foot is a little wider than my left, to the point that I need a wider boot. Decided that the best route for me was a boot custom made to my foot. I've been nothing but happy with the boots, and it sounds to me like some of you guys could stand a little boot happiness.

I may have to go that route, but hard to spend $500 for a pair of boots that you don't know how they will fit.

I may have to go that route, but hard to spend $500 for a pair of boots that you don't know how they will fit.

Well, they're probably going to fit better than a boot that's made for everybody. I know where you are coming from in regards to price, but a good Lowa, Kenetrek, Meindl, Crispi, etc. is going to cost you $300-400, and if you were used to wearing a $200 pair of boots and replacing them every other year (my experience with Danners), a pair of custom made Russells would pay for themselves in 4 years. Give them a call and talk to them about your concerns, I think you're going to be happy you did. I'm getting ready to send mine back for a little preventative maintenance, I suspect when I get them back, they'll be like new.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
Well, they're probably going to fit better than a boot that's made for everybody. I know where you are coming from in regards to price, but a good Lowa, Kenetrek, Meindl, Crispi, etc. is going to cost you $300-400, and if you were used to wearing a $200 pair of boots and replacing them every other year (my experience with Danners), a pair of custom made Russells would pay for themselves in 4 years. Give them a call and talk to them about your concerns, I think you're going to be happy you did. I'm getting ready to send mine back for a little preventative maintenance, I suspect when I get them back, they'll be like new.

The other problem I have is mental, I've never liked that style of boot. Always liked the more traditional hiker style. I may end up going to them and I did like their options, but that just makes it harder to decide what you want if you haven't tried all of those styles.
Not in the works for right now anyway, would need to sell some other gear or save up some coin...lol.
I usually wear something like Lowa or Meindl for 4-5 years anyway since they only get worn when in the woods.

3d, let me know if you got my response to the PM you sent me, my outbox says zero messages, but I sent it. Still trying to get the hang of things on this site.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
La sportiva glacier evo have a big toe box. They are at rei. I have been wearing them since 2006.