what bow for the wife.

lks2

FNG
In the market for a new bow for my wife. Looking for some advise here since the local bow shops haven't been real helpful. My tuning skills are severely lacking so I rely on the shops for all work other than building arrows and bolting things on.

Background- she currently shoots a bear finesse women's bow that's maxes out at 50lbs. It's out of tune and none of the shops here have been able to get it shooting great. Looking to upgrade both quality and draw weight.

Brand- I have a mathews and really like it but iv'e been told that they are more difficult to tune. ( i have no idea if this is true) The two shops in town are hoyt pro shops so leaning towards hoyt just to make it easier. ( open to other brands as well) I'm not looking for a women's specific bow but not ruling it out.

Specs- 50-60 lb. Looking for a used bow so maybe a 2016-2018 model. Doesn't have to be super fast, actually looking for a bit more brace height for some forgiveness. Looking for axle to axle that will be a nice shooting bow but not to big for a 5'4" female. Budget is 500-800 for a bare bow.

I know it's a lot to ask but does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't forget to consider overall mass weight. My wife shot my old halon 32 for a while and she complained the bow was too heavy.

Now it's for sale...

kicker338

WKR
Give the bowtechs a look, my wife has the carbon rose and my daughter has the eva shocky one. Both bows are light wt. and easy to tune with the shocky being a real speed demon for a womans bow. Not trying to promote bowtech as I shoot an expedition bow but both bows are really good.

Mac7

WKR
More on the budget side and may not be what your looking for, but bought my wife a diamond edge sb-1. She had never shot a bow and likes it so far. Easy to adjust draw and weight. Will upgrade eventually if she sticks with it but it feels like a decent bow so far and she likes shooting it. Think its' made by bowtech.

OP
L

lks2

FNG
Thank you for all the replies. The bowtech women's bows are nice. As long as it's light and assuming I can get the draw length short enough, I'm looking at men's bows as well. Any opinions on hoyt defiants or spyders? Seen a few on ebay with 25-26 inch draws.

OR Archer

WKR
Anyone who says a Mathews is hard to tune probably can’t tune any other bow either. An Avail from Mathews is a great choice. A Chill SDX would be another good choice.

Trial153

WKR
IMO the elite spirit is tops for women’s specific bows.

I have one I built for myself, I shoot it at 28/68 ish ....built it with 80 pound limbs to get draw weight I needed.

The Emerge and Impression are the newer version....I have an Emerge that I shoot 28/63 . I think the Emerge grip is an improvement over the spirits grip ...the roller guard is nice as well.

The spirit cam is super efficient at shorter draws. The speed I get out of them for the draw cycle is amazing.

BigWoods

WKR
Anyone who says a Mathews is hard to tune probably can’t tune any other bow either. An Avail from Mathews is a great choice. A Chill SDX would be another good choice.
One anecdote; guy at the archery shop said my Traverse was one of the easiest tuning bows he's done all year (and he's a Hoyt/Prime guy). Cables were timed spot on from the factory. He set everything to centershot and it was shooting bullets through paper. My quick attempt at walk back tuning today suggests I won't hardly have to such anything.

nphunter

WKR
The strothers hope or moxie angel is a great bow, they are the exact same bow, moxie made it after strothers went under. I bought one for my son, my wife has had an original vixen, Carbon Spyder and now a Nitrum 30 and she likes his Hope better than any of them.
At 60lbs there will be a lot out there depending on her draw length.

Have her shoot a few and see. However, elite can be had cheap if you look around. I saw a nib impulse for $300 the other day. Or if you can, try Athens. You will be pleasantly surprised by the bow. Full circle, shoot a few.

I’m not sure that I would go the women’s specific route at all. I’d just get a 50 .lbs bow with the proper DL, ATA the gives a good string angle, and outfit it with “women’s” colored accessories. This would open up the market a bit more if you ever wanted to sale the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
I second the Chill SDX. Really smooth draw and solid backwall. My girlfriend shoots one and really likes it. Her previous bow was a Razors Edge and IMO the Chill SDX is a far and away a better bow.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

BigWoods

WKR
I second the Chill SDX. Really smooth draw and solid backwall. My girlfriend shoots one and really likes it. Her previous bow was a Razors Edge and IMO the Chill SDX is a far and away a better bow.

You may check out the new Mathews Tactic, which I believe is a revamp of the Chill line and should come within budget. I handled one yesterday and it felt really nice.

OP
L

lks2

FNG

I shoot a Chill R and really like it. I'm suspecting the tuning comment wasn't super credible from the guy wearing the hoyt shirt and surrounded by hoyt banners. Thanks