What brake for 22" Proof Sendero?

rootacres

WKR
Hello All,

Its a real long story but I finally have a build date for a 22" Proof Sendero CF barrel chambered in 7mm SAUM. What brake do you all like? Id like a self timer of some kind. Thanks

Back before I started shooting suppressed I tried out quite a few brakes (an APA little bastard for one). The one I liked most was the Insite Arms Heathen. It had great recoil reduction but because the first port is 90 degrees it isn't as annoying as the APA. The one I had was actually an aluminum one that they tried selling but it never took off because people don't know aluminum is tough enough for muzzle brakes. It was 1.5oz so basically nonexistent on the end of my muzzle. It also doesn't require a wrench to take on/off like my APA did.

Edit: I did some digging and it looks like they actually do sell a lightweight Heathen brake still. Not sure of actual weight though. If it's like the one I had it's under 2oz. I'll link below.

Last edited:
I went with the Area 419 hellfire because it was less likely to shoot loose based on the design. Easier to time and repeatable zero. just something to think about.

Tullis94

WKR
The TI pro sold on rokslide if your looking for light weight. Muzzle brakes and more self timing if you aren't worried about a few ounces. I prefer the smooth look of these brakes compared to the others mentioned. All mention will be very effective.

madcalfe

WKR
I’m using a pva ultralight jet blast.
It weighs 1.37oz. It’s on my 300wsm with a 20” proof sendero 57% recoil reduction and matches the barrel diameter pretty good

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the MPA Cowl as it was one of the best for reducing recoil. It was also on off the cheaper ones out there.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey my name is Ken, I actually manufacture the Ti Pro brakes. If you have any questions you can shoot me a message on here.

The Ti Pro 3 ST would be a great match for that barrel. It is .99” diameter and has a smooth timing nut instead of a hex nut or something of that style. Your barrel would be about .94” I believe. Would look great and give you awesome recoil reduction and cut muzzle rise a lot!

-Ken

Suppressors are great on low recoiling, high volume shooting, rifles used for training.

Muzzle brakes are great on hunting rifles, shooting larger cartridges, that are staying within a reasonable weight.

ThunderBeast suppressors and APA’s Lil’ Bastard are solid choices, in their respective categories.

Suppressors are great on low recoiling, high volume shooting, rifles used for training.

Muzzle brakes are great on hunting rifles, shooting larger cartridges, that are staying within a reasonable weight.

ThunderBeast suppressors and APA’s Lil’ Bastard are solid choices, in their respective categories.
I'll have to agree and disagree. Suppressors are great for hunting and are widly used in Europe as such. They do not change the amount of recoil, they just prolong the recoil. It isn't a snap, more of a building push that feels like less recoil.

As for weight TBAC ultra's weigh 6.5oz to 16 Oz for the. 338...

But yes both great options

I'll have to agree and disagree. Suppressors are great for hunting and are widly used in Europe as such. They do not change the amount of recoil, they just prolong the recoil. It isn't a snap, more of a building push that feels like less recoil.

As for weight TBAC ultra's weigh 6.5oz to 16 Oz for the. 338...

But yes both great options
I’m absolutely familiar with the differences in recoil pulses, between suppressors and brakes. I’ve been shooting suppressed training rifles for over 15 years. Muzzle brakes are more effective when it comes to spotting your own shots with higher recoiling rifles. In regards to hunting, it really depends on what type of hunting your doing. For example, hunting driven game from stationary stands and using small’ish cartridges, like they do in Europe....then yeah use a suppressor. My preference is for backpack hunts, spot and stalk tactics and long range precision rifles. Carrying around a 30 inch dirt scoop (barrel/suppressor), that adds almost a pound of weight and doesn’t help me spot my shots better than a muzzle brake is a dumb idea. Especially considering I’ll take 1 or 2 shots. On the other hand ..... suppressors are great on low recoiling, high volume shooting, rifles used for training.

Carrying around a 30 inch dirt scoop (barrel/suppressor), that adds almost a pound of weight and doesn’t help me spot my shots better than a muzzle brake is a dumb idea. Especially considering I’ll take 1 or 2 shots. On the other hand ..... suppressors are great on low recoiling, high volume shooting, rifles used for training.
I guess it depends on the terrain you hunt in as well as your preferences. I only shoot suppressed now for training and hunting. In hunting scenarios I like that I don't have to worry about hearing protection and the suppressor (in my experience) has a disorienting effect on the animals. For training it's also good but for high volume shooting it's best to let it cool off every so often because it'll fill your scope with mirage from the heat coming off of it.