What broadheads poll

Broadheads poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not new to archery hunting, but I am new to hunting elk with a bow. I'd like to test different broadheads and see how they fly and which one flies better while I'm preparing for this season. Opinions are valued here, this not a typical forum, people here give and receive respect and that's internet rare. I'd like to shoot a fixed two blade or a fixed three blade, assume 125 grain. If you ladies and gentlemen would vote and comment it will be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used the Montec for the last 4 seasons and love the results. They fly tru, they have not sustained any damage on 3 bulls, you can get them very sharp with a little practice and the one piece cut on impact design is very solid. There are many quality heads out there today, but if you choose the Montec you will like the results.

Last edited:

TXCO

WKR
Why do not consider replacement blade heads as well?

For what its worth, Ive played around with alaskan samaurai heads and didnt like the bevel so much. Two good friends of mine swear by silver flames.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have killed a few elk with the stingers. But I really love Magnus Snuffers.

KMT

WKR
I've used NAP Thunderheads for years with great success and have never had a reason to switch.

bobhunts

WKR
I have used alot of different ones out there. Of the cut on contact fixed blades I really like the Ram Cat 125's if you want one with replaceble blades. I got a full pass through at 42 yrds on a bull this past season. If you don't want one with replacable blades there are alot of them out there. Just what I found on a replaceable blade that worked for me last year. Not a die hard fan as I have many other heads that have worked well..mainly the magnus ones. Bob.

swat8888

WKR
For what it's worth slick tricks and shuttle t shoot the same for me, both awesome. However the tricks so seem to whistle as they fly, something I don't hear with the shuttle t's. I know there are all kinds of debates whether that is true or if it affects anything. At least in my book it's one less thing I worry about.

jmez

WKR
I don't shoot them but picked Shuttle T out of your choices. Montecs are tough and fly like darts but I don't like sharpening blades. Don't know your set up but you may have trouble getting good flight with the two blade heads if shooting a fast set up.

trk3263

WKR
Another for the Montec strong and fly great no adjustment need from field points to Broadhead either.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wac Em' Triton, G5 Stryker, Slick trick, shuttle T's. I will be shooting Ram Cats this year as none of my top 3 are available for the Deep-Six Insert system - and no, I don't want to shoot an outsert. Heard great things about RamCats from some reliable and experienced bowhunters. Looking forward to trying them.

DC

rutfest

FNG
My broadhead of choice is the Solid S30V. All steel and both standard and deep-six threads. Plus made in Boise, ID

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
The two broadheads I have used the most are the G5 Stryker and Shuttle T-Lock. Between those two I would go with the Shuttle T-Lock. They seem to be as tough of a head as you're gonna get with replaceable blades. Also, next to being sharp, they seem to cause more tissue damage to me. I don't know if it is the shape of the blade or what but they seem to do more than just slice through tissue like a straight edged blade.

Out of your choices I have killed a number of animals with the Magnus Stingers (although I prefered the buzzcuts) and several animals with the Montec. I personally didn't care for the Montec, the angle is different compared to most (just a pet peeve) and it didn't withstand much abuse after a few pass throughs. That said, neither did the Magnus heads...

I have found my "happy place" with Slick Tricks... Super sharp, fly true and they do their part (which ANY broadhead will if the shooter does theirs).

CaseyU

WKR
+1 montecs or the strikers fly well too and have replacable blades just not bulletproof like the montecs

Of the heads listed I voted Montec, but I prefer a VPA 3-blade. Similar design to the Montec but tougher and easier to sharpen.

I've killed a lot of deer and elk with Magnus stingers. I prefer the four blade version for better blood trails. I've been able to tune them to group with my target points @ 280 fps and had them break shoulder bones on deer. Also really like the blade angle on these for less deflection upon impact. all the heads listed are top quality though...stingers are the only one I have experience with.

OP
manbearpig
I know some statisticians will tell me this isn't a valid poll due to the sample size among other things. But you gents gave me great insight into what I should be looking for. Thanks

Do people just love Shuttle Ts or what?!?!?