What caliber? AK Moose

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
No argument from me...my fall carry rifle up here for the past 20+ years and for each future fall is my 375H&H. 270gr TSX's and RL-15 are a perfect handloading combo, and I've been fortunate to have cleanly taken numerous moose and several grizzlies with it. That said, I sure don't like shooting it from the bench, but I do every year...proudly wearing a recoil shoulder (sissy) pad...and it takes me lots of dry firing between shots from the bench to keep from developing a flinch in anticipation of that heavy recoil/push!

That said, the bottom line is all about good shot placement, and a bullet that will penetrate, expand, and hold together. For the last eight or so years I've been moose hunting in predominately wet areas, so I enjoy calling them up close to me, and then head shooting them to drop DRT on good dry ground. In those preferred scenarios I sure don't need a 375H&H, but I still will be bringing it every fall...even though I have a 30-06 in the gun safe, and that cartridge has probably killed every type of big game animal on earth!
I like good shot placement AND a heavy-ish bullet. I've seen a moose get shot and get away by a guy who swore his 6.5 creedmoore was enough and shot placement was all that mattered. At 300yds he hit the poor thing twice and it ran off, he ever recovered it. I like the 260g accubond or the 250g TTSX in my 375.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
For those that may not be familiar with the 340 Weatherby - here it is alongside the ‘06 (it has twice the amount of powder)

If you really want to see what the 340 can do, look up the ballistics on the it

Attachments

• B48176B5-8DFE-47B9-B3BE-816E39EF0D31.jpeg
    B48176B5-8DFE-47B9-B3BE-816E39EF0D31.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 39

AKDoc

WKR
For those that may not be familiar with the 340 Weatherby - here it is alongside the ‘06 (it has twice the amount of powder)

I'm familiar with it (although I don't own one)...and it's definitely a great cartridge!

I have a 257WBY, and I handload 100gr TSX's for it. I've taken several good-sized black bears with that combination, hunting the snow-slides in the spring. Below are pictures of one that squared just over 7ft that I took with that 100grn, extremely well constructed bullet, going just under 3600fps...one shot. Bear.jpgBlackBear.jpg
...my apologies sir for the thread drift.

z987k

WKR
I like good shot placement AND a heavy-ish bullet. I've seen a moose get shot and get away by a guy who swore his 6.5 creedmoore was enough and shot placement was all that mattered. At 300yds he hit the poor thing twice and it ran off, he ever recovered it. I like the 260g accubond or the 250g TTSX in my 375.
It is all that matters. Moose have been poached with a .22LR.
A 375 in it's ass is going to see it run off. A 6.5 to the CNS is going to drop it. That 6.5 NEEDs to be put perfect though, and the 375 is buying insurance against shot placement, though shot placement get a lot harder as you step up to rounds with that much recoil.

I think that's why the 30s are so popular. Plenty to kill, even in a not perfect shot, also mild enough in recoil for the average person to shoot rather well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It is all that matters. Moose have been poached with a .22LR.
A 375 in it's ass is going to see it run off. A 6.5 to the CNS is going to drop it. That 6.5 NEEDs to be put perfect though, and the 375 is buying insurance against shot placement, though shot placement get a lot harder as you step up to rounds with that much recoil.

I think that's why the 30s are so popular. Plenty to kill, even in a not perfect shot, also mild enough in recoil for the average person to shoot rather well.
Yeah I hear it all the time from local natives....223 is a great moose gun, my dad used a 22. Ok.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Quick answer to your specific question...I join with what others are saying...the 30-06 will do it. I'm glad you have no concerns of your buddy's rifle shooting skills...that would be a bit of a stretch for me in your shoes, but you know him. You hand-load (as do I), so I'm sure you'll have that rifle/load dialed-in and a drop table with you. Some dry-fire should give him a feel for the trigger.

I'm sure you've thought of this option, but I'll mention it...bring both your rifles, leave the 44mag lever action at home. Have your buddy carry the '06, and you carry the 340WBY. Sh-t does happen sometimes despite our best efforts, and I would want to be able to put a finishing shot on that bull if needed...and that 340WBY will reach way out there, which might be needed before a wounded bull jumps in a lake, goes over the ridge, disappears in the thick brush, etc., etc.

Best of luck on your hunt, and an advanced welcome to Alaska!

Edit: Readers should check the regulations in advance and make some calls to ADFG and Fish/Game enforcement (Troopers) to see under what circumstantial situations, if any, the above is acceptable to do.

The edit nails the crux of the problem.

I worked with a guy who several years back was part of a hunting party where several people had guns taken, fines, and suspension of hunting privilege because a person without a tag made a finishing shot on a gut shot animal as it ran away.

I have been told that if a person puts hands on fishing gear (such as a non-resident helping with shrip pots) a citation can be made.

The safe bet is that only people with a tag shoot unless it becomes a DLP situation. In that situation, I would tag the animal, then have an honest conversation with the Trooper about what happened and how it should be filed (DLP kill vs harvest). I have a feeling officer discretion would play a role and a true attempt at doing the right thing would go a long way if you got a dick that decide to cite you for a violation anyway. That said, the AK Troopers I have interacted with are happy to answer questions and help people stay legal.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
No argument from me...my fall carry rifle up here for the past 20+ years and for each future fall is my 375H&H. 270gr TSX's and RL-15 are a perfect handloading combo, and I've been fortunate to have cleanly taken numerous moose and several grizzlies with it. That said, I sure don't like shooting it from the bench, but I do every year...proudly wearing a recoil shoulder (sissy) pad...and it takes me lots of dry firing between shots from the bench to keep from developing a flinch in anticipation of that heavy recoil/push!

That said, the bottom line is all about good shot placement, and a bullet that will penetrate, expand, and hold together. For the last eight or so years I've been moose hunting in predominately wet areas, so I enjoy calling them up close to me, and then head shooting them to drop DRT on good dry ground. In those preferred scenarios I sure don't need a 375H&H, but I still will be bringing it every fall...even though I have a 30-06 in the gun safe, and that cartridge has probably killed every type of big game animal on earth!
We have the same taste in moose guns and handloads for it! I run 270 TSX's and R15 every fall(and some springs) as well. Hell of a combo that just plain works. Easier to shoot than a 338WM I used to own.

With that said my GF has no problems cleanly downing moose with a 30/06 or 270.

Laramie

WKR
I like the 2 gun approach. I am a huge 30-06 fan but If I could only have one on an Alaska hunt, it would be the .340.

Someone may have said this but why doesn’t he just buy a rifle and sell it after the hunt? If I took the financial hit to fly from New York to hunt moose, I would drop a few hundred bucks on a rifle. Even if he took a $100 hit by selling used, it would still be a good investment. I guess I am just a little confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it bad that this photo makes me happy? Because this is ‘merica. My dad bought a WBY 30-378. It does the same thing because it’s stupid big, but still makes me chuckle when I pull the trigger. I’d take that one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Man, I don’t know what the hang up is about using a borrowed gun.

I shot my first elk with a borrowed 270. Never shot it before. I was 15.

I’ve borrowed plenty of buddy’s guns without a problem.

How hard can it be?
Point > Shoot

Rknapp428

FNG
With a good bullet both are good choices! I say go with the 340 as long as the break does a good job.

hodgeman

WKR
My hunting partner has a 33 Nosler which has very, very similar ballistics to the 340WBY.

It's a real hammer on moose...and anything else he points it at.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Man, I don’t know what the hang up is about using a borrowed gun.

I shot my first elk with a borrowed 270. Never shot it before. I was 15.

I’ve borrowed plenty of buddy’s guns without a problem.

How hard can it be?
Point > Shoot
I think it comes from people who pick up brand new magnums, hardly ever shoot them because they don't like the recoil, then make bad shots on game. Plenty of people come up to Alaska with guns that are too big for them.

I know I can shoot an all up 7 pound 30-06 without issue, so I would be comfortable barrowing something similar from a trusted source. While I have fired a 458 Lott, I was not paying for ammo and the owner did not want me to burn more than 2 rounds. As such, I would want more time behind anything that big before I used it in the field. Bigger is only better if metal goes on target.

Clearly, much depends on the individual. Not knowing the individual, the safest recommendation is that he should carry a gun he is familiar with.

Many of use have dealt with people who over estimate their capabilities, it certainly makes one less likely to trust such estimations in the future.

That is my take on the hang up with a barrowed gun. It is probably worth what you payed for it. :unsure:

I used a 340.......................................spine arrow and Exodus broadhead. Full draw at 10'.

Attachments

• MOOSE2.jpg
    MOOSE2.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 22

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd have him bring a bow, then you carry whatever rifle you want. If he doesn't have a bow, he's got a few months to get one and get it ready.