What caliber? AK Moose

coldchow

FNG
Need some input:

Me and a buddy are going to AK on a fly-in moose hunt this Sept.
He doesnt have a 'moose rifle', so Im going to have him use one of mine.
He has the moose tag

Here are the choices

1 - Winchester 30-06 Model 70 [older gun] - 180gr Hornady handloads

2 - Weatherby .340 Mag Mark V Alaskan - 225gr Hornady handloads [w/ Accu Brake]

The 30-06 is shorter and lighter, the 340 is, well... a cannon
He will not have a chance to shoot either rifle before the hunt.

Which gun makes the trip?

Im leaning towards the '06
I suggest allowing him to shoot the 30-06. It'll easily take a moose, and won't rattle his teeth like the 340wby. No need to complicate things. Good luck on your hunt.

Can't he go buy an '06 and shoot it before going? Most anywhere you can find a beat-up used '06 for cheap and even in today's day and time, you can probably find some ammo. He can use yours but he can buy a cheapo and get accustomed to the push and bang before going.

Wapiti1

WKR
So, no 6.5 Creedmoor? I thought you were serious hunters.

Since you are just messing around here, take the one that is stainless. If both are stainless, take the 30-06 for all the reasons everyone else has noted.

That said, an 11lb .340 ain't a bad shooting boomstick. My .340 is 9lbs and I have no issue with it unbraked. For a couple of shots to check zero and one or two to kill a moose, it's probably a wash.

Jeremy

Ya, I carry a 375 for a lot of moose and bear hunting and recoil is a non issue. That goes for "shoot em til they stop moving" for brown bears too. I've ripped off a quick four shots as backup shooter to take down a grizzly before it got to timber and have had follow up shots on moose. Recoil never once crossed my mind. I'm far from a tough guy, adrenaline just takes over.