What caliber for Cow Elk?

motorhead

FNG
Hi All,

A few friends and I put in for cow elk tags this year. Provided we draw, I was planning to use my 6.5 CM Tikka T3x with 140 Nosler Partitions. I know for bull elk, the recommendation is 300 WM or 7 RM, but would 6.5 CM be acceptable for cow elk? I don't want to be undergunned. I can borrow a 308 if that would be better. I'm not a huge fan of the magnum calibers due to the recoil.

Thank you for the advice.

Dunndm

WKR
Hi All,

A few friends and I put in for cow elk tags this year. Provided we draw, I was planning to use my 6.5 CM Tikka T3x with 140 Nosler Partitions. I know for bull elk, the recommendation is 300 WM or 7 RM, but would 6.5 CM be acceptable for cow elk? I don't want to be undergunned. I can borrow a 308 if that would be better. I'm not a huge fan of the magnum calibers due to the recoil.

I know people that have taken elk with a .243, so as long as your best with a 6.5 you’ll be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
Thank you. What would be a respectable range?
That would depend on your ammunition. You need to know the minimum velocity for reliable expansion of the bullet your ammo is loaded with. Then look at the ballistics published by the manufacture for that ammo and determine the distance that the bullet drops below that velocity. Take the Hornady 143 ELDX for example. According to the manufacture the minimum velocity for reliable expansion is 1,600 fps. Then a quick look at their ballistic chart shows that at 500 yards the bullet is still traveling at just over 2,000 fps. This would indicate that the bullet should still be effective at 500 yards. The manufactures tests are done under perfect conditions so your results may vary. Unless you are a skilled marksman with a lot of experience shooting big game you may want to limit your shots to a shorter distance. When I first started hunting elk I limited my shots to 300 yards. I've shot 3 elk with my rifle now and all were under 300 yards.

Last edited:

Simon1523

FNG
Hi All,

300 win mag is overkill for any North American game in my opinion, .270 - 30-06 and anywhere in between is perfect, your 6.5 will do just fine

Eyeman

FNG
I agree with all of the shot placement opinions. I can practice for days and months BUT
With that said after years of Hunting I still get some Buck fever from time to time.
So for that reason mainly and sometimes other conditions I usually stick with a heavier caliber.
But thats for me.
Good Luck on your Hunt!

OP
M

motorhead

FNG
That would depend on your ammunition. You need to know the minimum velocity for reliable expansion of the bullet your ammo is loaded with. Then look at the ballistics published by the manufacture for that ammo and determine the distance that the bullet drops below that velocity. Take the Hornady 143 ELDX for example. According to the manufacture the minimum velocity for reliable expansion is 1,600 fps. Then a quick look at their ballistic chart shows that at 500 yards the bullet is still traveling at just over 2,000 fps. This would indicate that the bullet should still be effective at 500 yards. The manufactures tests are done under perfect conditions so your results may vary. Unless you are a skilled marksman with a lot of experience shooting big game you may want to limit your shots to a shorter distance. When I first started hunting elk I limited my shots to 300 yards. I've shot 3 elk with my rifle now and all were under 300 yards.

This is excellent information. Thank you very much!