What caliber for your 9 year old daughter?

hodgeman

WKR
Just for an alternative...don't buy another rifle. Buy a reloading press.

You can make some reduced loads with H4895 and light for caliber bullets that'll kill deer deader than Truth in Gov't , won't beat you like you owe them money, and still come out money ahead. You'll learn some new skills while you're at it that your daughter won't outgrow next year.

I made some loads for a young person to try in my 6.5 CM. I used H4895 and 100gr Nosler Partition bullets. The muzzle velocity was 2100 fps and the recoil was completely negligible in my 6 pound rifle. At typical deer ranges, they'd never know what hit them.

I'd give a 357 magnum in a Ruger bolt gun,or Henry lever or one of the in expensive single shots a whirl.. literally no recoil, or Maybe one of the new 350 legend rifles I'm hearing the recoil is less than a 243 with a bigger bullet to make a bigger hole and better blood trail, just a few things the think about.

JaWally91

FNG
Check out the 350 legend, don't know much about it, but they claim it performs better than a 243 with 20% less recoil, bout a 250 yard round

robtattoo

WKR
Give this a read on the .350 legend.
It ain't all that......

My choice would be any round that can be chambered in a standard AR platform. .223, 6.5 Grendel, .300blk, 6.8spc etc.
Recoil between all 4 is pretty similar, all 4 will happily take deer & I'm 99% certain that all are available in moderately priced bolt guns.

Maybe I should try it, but I can’t see why anyone would consider the AR platform (especially for a kid) since it’s such a bulky an heavy choice.

I guess maybe if your walking a short distance and sitting in a box blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckyrxc

FNG
.243 Vanguard compact has worked out well for my boys since they were 10 years old. Now 13, it still fits them and is the choice for one of them. We shoot 100 gr bullets, and really with a light Bullet you could consider other calibers as well, as I think that will be your primary recoil factor now.
one of the boys will be shooting 6.5 CM this year but that’s because I needed to pick up a second rifle for them.
i like your 7mm-08 idea too and think it will be good with a light Bullet.
i think this compact Vanguard will fit one of by boys until he is at least 15 since he is small framed.

robtattoo

WKR
Maybe I should try it, but I can’t see why anyone would consider the AR platform (especially for a kid) since it’s such a bulky an heavy choice.

I guess maybe if your walking a short distance and sitting in a box blind.

To be fair, it's really simple & these days extremely cheap to build a sub 6lb AR. I'm right at $400 into mine (with the .223 upper only) and it's right at 6lb. Minute of coyote noggin at 300yds with 65gn Gamekings. I did buy the lower as a used item, but everything else came from PSA specials. I believe it took about 6 weeks to get all the parts, 15 minutes to assemble & another 20 to sight in.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second the AR in .223. Both my daughters (9 and 7) shoot it very well. It is light, accurate and adjustable. Almost no recoil and the last 10 deer shot with it have all died and been recovered inside of 75 yards. The longest shot so far has been at 279 yards and was a pass thru. I would also highly recommend a suppressor.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
AR’s are great, however....

If someone is handed a gun they should be able to manipulate it all on their own. It’s a lot more fun for them when they handle the rifle without help.

dla

WKR
My Warrior-Princess is ready to hunt deer and I’m looking for real-life experiences from other dads, granddads, uncles, brothers and friends... she is 9 years old and has told dad that she is ready... so what caliber has suited your warrior-princess daughter the best? I’ve got several rifles, including a Remington in 7mm-08 and a .260.... but not a .243... I’m open to buying another rifle, especially since this will be her first hunt... thanks in advance from a dad that is carrying on that hunting tradition

I went with a Mossberg Patriot Super Bantam ( 6.3lbs bare rifle) in 308. I reloaded 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips to 2650fps from the 20" barrel (38gr of H4895). That rifle&load has taken one mule deer so far by my 10yr old grandson.
Initially I filled the buttstock with shot - the weight helped the kids avoid flinching when learning to shoot (Speer 125gr TNT @2650fps for practice). The shot was removed later.
I would've preferred a fixed 4x Weaver, but my son put a Vortex 4x12 on it - cause Vortex seems to be popular with millennials.
125gr@2650 (1950 lb/ft) is a plenty potent deer load. At 150yds, the 125gr BT made a 3/4" exit hole, double-lung shot, the deer made a few steps then layed down. The newer Ballistic Tip is not an explosive bullet at these speeds (~2300fps impact velocity). Speer makes a 130gr flat point that opens up faster, and Sierra still makes the 2025 125gr JHP which will blowup at these speeds, but the grandkids may get a chance at Elk and I wanted penetration.

In retrospect, I think I should've went with the 7mm-08 instead, as full-power ammo will give better ballistics with less recoil. And since I reload, I can craft reduced loads just as easily.

Last edited:
OP
TNHunter

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just for an alternative...don't buy another rifle. Buy a reloading press.

You can make some reduced loads with H4895 and light for caliber bullets that'll kill deer deader than Truth in Gov't , won't beat you like you owe them money, and still come out money ahead. You'll learn some new skills while you're at it that your daughter won't outgrow next year.

I made some loads for a young person to try in my 6.5 CM. I used H4895 and 100gr Nosler Partition bullets. The muzzle velocity was 2100 fps and the recoil was completely negligible in my 6 pound rifle. At typical deer ranges, they'd never know what hit them.

That is a great idea... I’ve got a reloading set but haven’t started reloading yet... and she is itching to go this weekend.... and as she told me last night... she wants her own rifle... not her dads or brother or moms... and it has to have a scope ( lol)... so we are looking today for that first rifle for her.

OP
TNHunter

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 128548Savage Muddy Girl 243. Santa brought it. She was quite pleased when she found out it’s the same brand that Rinella used.

First time she had it out to shoot she kept laughing “Daddy, the bullets just keep going in the same spot!!”

Thanks for the suggestion.. and that seems to be the rifle she wants now... not her daddy’s or mamas or brothers. She wants her own and with a scope! As she said... so we are scavenging Nashville for the perfect 1st rifle... in left hand no doubt... wish us luck ... lol

Those Henry single shots are really nice and shoot great but won't have to worry about right or left hand....I've got a lefty too...that's the route we went til they grow a bit .and with only one shot they gotta concentrate on making it count.

I have a 7 year old son that shoots a Mossberg Patriot youth 243. To plink with he shoots 25 grains of H4985 with 85 grain sierra btsp. According to him this round feels like his 22lr. To hunt we have been practicing with Hornady custon lite ammo with a 87 he sst only because I have been lazy finding a hunting load for him with my press and the custom lite has cool little red tips.

For reference he is 4 ft 52 lbs.

All things equal I would get a fast twist 223 if I didn't reload or I didn't get the Mossberg for 250

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
I'm not sure of I am reading into something you are saying. Are you saying a 9yr old (or just a child) cannot manipulate an AR on their own?

Esse quam videri

See? That's the downside of not having a culture of child soldiers. We'd be screwed if Sierra Leone decided to invade. It's like AKs were designed around malnourished 10 year olds........ :D

wesfromky

WKR
I will 2nd/3rd the single shot in pistol caliber rifles. Due to restrictions where I hunt, I have to use pistol caliber, so I bought a cheap CVA in .44. Not a 200 yard tack driver, but a solid 100 yard deer killer, with very little recoil.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
My wife now 32 has been using the same youth model .243 since she was 12. She’s only 5ft 8 and it still works great for her. Put a good scope on there and it should last a long time. She knocks down a deer every year and i have to admit she has more wall hangers than me..