What caliber(s)?

If the majority of your hunting was for eastern whitetails, paired with a week of rifle elk hunting every 1-2 years and aspirations of mule deer and pronghorn down the road, what would be your gun, caliber and scope combo, whether that's one gun to do it all, or two? Things to consider:

* Budget is $2k
*Shots would be limited to 350 yards
*Ideal weight would be 7-8lbs or less all in
*Preference for barrel length would be 24" or shorter for ease of handling

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've got 2 of those type rifles right now. Both are Remington Model Seven SS. One is in a 7 SAUM with a factory 22" barrel topped with a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40. The other is a 7-08 with a factory 20" barrel topped with a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40.

I bought the 7 SAUM about 5 years ago and the 7-08 2 years ago. The 7-08 has quickly become my go to rifle.

7mm08, 308, 270, 280, 3006

I would buy a Fierce Fury or CA Mesa and use the scope you currently had or buy a Tikka or Browning X bolt and put $1000 of glass on it. You shouldn't need to dial shots under 350 but a nice rifle that shoots well will start you thinking about shooting farther so a better scope may be worth it.

I did not include a 6.5 Creedmore because I have no personel experience with it. Also under 350 should not require a magnum (or long action for that matter).

handwerk

WKR
Among the many great cartridges that would work I'd pick the 280 AI. By the sounds of it there are some accurate factory rifles out there that would be a good fit, but unlike most I like to put mine together, starting with a model 70 action then a good barrel and stock to fit my needs.

20” barrel 7mm-08
Nightforce, NXS, SHV, or SWFA depending on budget.

Pretty easy to get to 7 1/2 lbs with that type of package. You can sort out your own particulars. Mine is a model 7 with a barlien 2b etc etc etc

“Most” 7mm-08 is good to 5-600 out of a 20” barrel with minimum impact velocity of 1800fps so you may consider getting proficient out to that range over the next few years.
3a5467b942902b205bc0452cc7f96318.jpg

Rich M

WKR
You've got a lot of choices.

I'd go with a lighter recoil round - 7mm-08 or 308. The 350/400 max range is "nothing" for most calibers.

For the Rifle - go and see how various bolt guns feel. Lots of good options out there. Tikka makes a nice gun, Winchester Model 70, Browning, Sako all feel good to me. I have a model 70.

For a scope I like the Leupold VX3 level. Go and look thru the scopes while you are checking out the rifles. See what feels good to your eye. Stay away from the cheap budget scopes.

I have an older model 70 stainless 30-06 with a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10 scope. Shoot whitetails, antelope, going for mulies this year. Can do elk and moose if necessary. I run a 150-gr bullet at about 2900 fps for deer & antelope. If I was gonna go elk or moose I'd run with a 165/180 gr nosler partition or accubond.

If I was gonna do it all over again it would be with a lighter recoil round. Gun and scope are fine.

bhuntin

FNG
You've got some really good recommendations so far. If it were me I would take $1000-1200 and get yourself a nice rig and spend the rest on improving your shooting with some shooting lessons. Spend $400-600 on your rifle and another $600-800 on scope.

As for what caliber to go with I like to keep things simple and stay with readily available options. I currently have a 7mm-08 Tikka and love it. It's not overkill for deer and enjoyable to shoot. On elk you will be just fine out to your 350 range given good shot placement. If you wanted to step up in the 7mm bullet I'd go with 7mm rem mag. If you want a 30 cal. I'd go with either 308 or 30-06. It's not the new sexy caliber but I think the 30-06 is what I would go with given your criteria. You can shoot a lighter grain bullet for deer and antelope and move up to a heavier bullet for elk.

Any of these four calibers will serve you well and will be easy to find ammo for and not break the bank to shoot. There is not secret caliber that will kill more dead than another. Spend some of that money to improve your shooting and you will be way farther ahead than spending all 2k to have the latest and greatest caliber on the market.

You can stay at the 2K price point if you want to show up and camp with something that looks like you spent money or you could buy a Ruger American, Remington 7 or 700, Winchester 70 in 6.5 CM, 7/08, .308, .270 or 30/06 and top it with a Leupold 2-7 or even a VX-III 2.5-8 and be anywhere from $500-1000.
Several other choices that will similarly get you there too.

My current go to is a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM with a Vari-X III I bought 30 years ago. I’m about $600all in on that rig. It’s a half MOA rifle all day, every day.

My other favorite is a Ruger 77 MK II stainless boat paddle stock .270 with a Leupold VX II 2-7 that was a pawn shop find for $525

I’ve had Kimber’s, Remington’s, Savage’s, Browning (A-Bolt and FN Mauser ), Cooper’s, Winchester’s and military Mauser conversions and found those 2 Ruger’s are what works for me.

My point is, you can spend more if it pleases you or if you’re concerned about image. But you don’t have to.

Don’t overlook used rifles and optics either. There are some great deals out there.

as said, a whole bunch of recommendations - in the last 40 years of MY hunting/shooting life I've been all over the place chasing that "perfect" rifle, finally came to realize that "perfect" rifle is one you like, NOT what anyone else likes, recommends or insists is better than any others - STOP and ENJOY this journey first of all, there is myriad of awesome factory rifles now that will shoot lights out with factory ammo (with has dramatically improved in the past 10+ years) and you didn't mention if you hand load, the world is your oyster in that case -
TIKKA T3"X" superlight 30.06 is arguably the best "bang for your buck" out there, with an added $35 Limbsaver pad and $35 for a spare magazine there are few rifles that will regularly outshoot it, the bolt locks with safety engaged (no matter WHAT you're told, in a "hunting" rifle that's important), trigger's great, I PERSONALLY like and use the mountain tactical LW rail with whatever rings you might like, I like the SL model due to the fluting which doesn't lose that much gun weight but looks darn good for not much $$,
It looks like Kimbers have not solved all of their QC troubles which is a shame, they're a very well engineered rifles
Virtually ALL of the current "crop" of semi-custom rifles available will have their QC problems now and then and $1200 will get you part to all the way "there" depending on your PERSONAL preferences but there's no "unicorn" in the bunch - ABOVE ALL... DO NOT listen to those "experts" standing behind the counter, the vast majority are wannabe experts trying to sell what they "claim" is the best, most don't have a clue
Just enjoy the experience of living and learning for yourself

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I already have that gun. It's a Ruger American in .270 with a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50. And the scope is worth 3 times what the rifle cost. But it's a tack-driver for under $1000. You could get by with a whole lot less scope as well for what you described.

Tikka 7/08. Nightforce SHV Illuminated MOAR reticle. Sportsmatch or hawkins direct mount rings.

I think the 6.5 creed would be preferable for everything but the elk trips.
The SWFA 3-9 is a nice cheaper option but I think you'd like the illumination and SFP of SHV for stated purpose of the rifle.

With shot distance and weight under consideration there is no reason to look at long action cartridges IMO. You'll shoot better and enjoy it more with a 308 based cartridge or creedmoor.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Start around. 264", 46 grs capacity and 20" long barrel....and put a lrts/lrhs 3-12 on it for the ultimate rig at any range, or at your range description, a 8 or 9 power on top scope with dots or similar reticle. I REALLY like the meopta/zeiss 3-9. The swfa reticle will suck on eastern whitetails as its slow to aquire due to being so fine.

OP
Kbhillhunter
I appreciate everyone taking the time to chime in! I think in posing the question i had some ideas in mind, i was just looking for validation and to see if maybe i had overlooked any other considerations. Not looking for a flashy custom set up, its just so easy to get analysis paralysis when trying to decide on a rig.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
350 yards and under and less than 8 lbs would be super easy. I can’t see much not working well there.

I primarily hunt whitetails in the east, but I wouldn’t hesitate carrying my primary deer rifle for elk and pronghorn either.

For me it’s a 84M Montana chambered in 6.5x47L. Scoped with a 3-9 SWFA. YMMV, there’s a ton of great options out there now that won’t break the bank.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
You don't need a fancy scope for what you want to do. I couldn't agree more with Tree 'Em.

You'll benefit from greater field of view and an uncluttered view with a low magnification scope and a duplex reticle in whitetail country, and at those distances you don't need high magnification, MRAD, bullet drop compensation, or even illumination. All wasted money and weight.

Zero your rifle for a reasonable MPBR with a 3-9 or 3.5-10 scope and go hunt.

LightFoot

WKR
Browning Xbolt sub-$1000
Leupold VX-3i sub-$500
Talley rings sub-$100
2x Premium ammo sub-$100

I would go 308, 30-06, 300wsm, 300win and never feel incapable.

Barnes 165 ttsx or similar would be good for all hoofed game you mentioned.

Don't overthink it.
The 6.5 Creedmoor all the way to 338 win (or bigger) will do just fine.

In the end you can't go wrong with a quality rifle and scope from reputable manufacturers paired with premium ammo, factory or handloaded.

Good luck. Post pictures when you make a decision.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I would say a browning x bolt in 7mm rem mag would be a pretty good choice. You could shoot lighter loads for deer and antelope and bump it up for elk. I think it’s a pretty good do all For what u need

elkguide

WKR
Definitely needs to be a rifle that fits you, one that you can throw up and have everything feel right.

I have spent a lot of years (and way to much money) chasing the one rifle. I live in the East and hunt whitetails in several states in the East. I try to get out West every fall to chase mulies and elk. At this point in my life, I have begun to let a few of my rifles go and have decided that I really do have a few favorites that will stay. Any of the staying rifles would be rifles that would be "do it all rifles", (except for the myriad of .22's that I love and won't be parting with).

Some of the rifles that are staying are a Kimber Montana in 7mm08, a Brown Precision in .284 Win, a .300 Win Mag in a tang safety Ruger 77, a Christensen Arms Custom in .300 RUM, a Cooper M56 in .300 Win Mag, and a Charlie Sisk in .338-06 AI.

All of these are rifles that when I throw them up and open my eyes, I'm on target and I feel as though they are an extension of my arm. They are all 1/2 MOA rifles and when I pull the trigger, something falls over.

I do strongly believe in buying the best glass that you can. Admittedly a fanboy here but my rifles all wear Swarovski or Kahles glass.

IF I had to have just one do it all rifle, it would either be a Cooper or a Christensen Arms, (unless I was having a custom rifle built) and it would be in .300 Win Mag.

street

WKR
You could go down to your local cabelas and buy a used mosen nagaunt, or similar rifle, practice with it and that would get the job done! Youd be amazed how accurate those are out to 400+