What caliber should my next elk rifle be?

Is there that much difference between the 300 WM and the PRC?
PRC burns a little more powder, the cartridge allows for longer projectiles without getting into powder column or having neck issues and due to those things I'm able to push a 220 grain pill at a similar speed to what the 300wm pushes a 200. A lot of that depends on particular powder/load but overall the 300prc is close to 100fps faster with the heavier bullets.

WKR
A traditional front stuffer in .54 to use a round ball.

I don’t have one, but if get another “elk rifle” that’s what it will be.

OP
dmossu

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any thoughts on putting together a build or going the Fierce route? I figured my build would look something like this:

Action: Defiance / Kelby, whichever is available honestly - does not seem to be much difference
Stock: AG Alpine Hunter
Barrel: Proof
Trigger: Triggertech
Brake: Terminator
Bottom Metal: TBD - not sure which route to go here

All in all, I believe this would come to about $3,600 before tax and such. So could likely build this for about $1,000 more than a Fierce.

Anyone have any good recommendations on a smith to reach out to?

Munkish

FNG
A traditional front stuffer in .54 to use a round ball.

I don’t have one, but if get another “elk rifle” that’s what it will be.
That would give options for other tags/seasons and they're just fun to shoot.

Anyone have any thoughts on putting together a build or going the Fierce route? I figured my build would look something like this:

Action: Defiance / Kelby, whichever is available honestly - does not seem to be much difference
Stock: AG Alpine Hunter
Barrel: Proof
Trigger: Triggertech
Brake: Terminator
Bottom Metal: TBD - not sure which route to go here

All in all, I believe this would come to about $3,600 before tax and such. So could likely build this for about $1,000 more than a Fierce.

Anyone have any good recommendations on a smith to reach out to?
I think your going to be somewhat south of actual cost on a custom build but If your thinking about going that route, let me pass this on
Give Eric a call—

Could not be happier!! He’s done a few for me

svivian

WKR
get an official Red Ryder carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

dwhall20

FNG
7MM with a brake. Nice flat shooter that packs a punch. Nice variety of factory ammo as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe think about the future and what you will want to shoot as you get older. The 6.5 PRC is really easy on the shoulder (Ours has a brake), is very accurate, and has proven to be great elk medicine for us out to 500+. The 28 is intriguing though, not a bad choice.
6.5x55mm

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Where are those guys who were claiming a 223 was the best cartridge for elk a few years ago?

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Full custom would be nice but if you are planning on heading out west this year it is probably too late for that with lead times. Fierce you could buy now and get some range time in this summer before your hunt so I say Fierce for the win.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
I was in your same boat a few months ago an chose 280AI. Just picked up the rifle this morning:) give Josh at Sterling Precision a call. They were great to work with.
3EBC7184-0FAF-497C-9D4B-99113EF1CF73.jpeg

Rackstar

FNG
7mm-08 or a 338 win mag

No point on having another 30 cal IMHO. If you don’t hunt elk or moose every single year and live in that kind of country I would opt for the 7mm-08. Your 300wm has you covered for big things.

I have a wood stock model 70 300 win mag for big things , a Montana 300wsm for mountain hunting, I went with a 243 myself. Hammers every deer I’ve pointed it at. Fun to shoot also. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a cow elk with a .243 after seeing a monster muley fold to a Nicely placed shot.

Good luck!