What caliber should my next elk rifle be?

You’ve got the 30 cals covered so unless you’re really itching to add yet another 30 caliber, I’d branch out.

280 AI, 7mm mag, 7mm-08, 6.8 western, 6.5 PRC would all be good players.

Instead of focusing on the caliber, you could try focusing on what type of hunting you want to do with this particular rifle, then pick the rifle and caliber to match. If you want a lightweight mountain rifle, maybe the 7mm-08 would be a good pick. If you want something that is incredibly versatile and relatively easy to get ammo, maybe the 7mm mag. If you want something versatile and newer, try the western or PRC.

jimh406

WKR
300 WSM in an ultralight so you will love shorter and lighter when you get old and sick of hauling the others up and down the mountain. You will also get to complain that you can't find ammo anywhere.
300 WSM is readily available in my area, so not at all true for me.

OP
dmossu

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking I have it narrowed down to either a 6.5 PRC, .300 WSM, or a .300 PRC.

Each cartridge seems to have its pros and cons!

OP
dmossu

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Also I think now my number one is a properly throated 30 Nosler built by Alamo Precision. I don't hate the idea of either a 30 Nosler or a 300 PRC. Nosler will be a slight step up from the 300WM and the PRC

amassi

WKR
Have not heard that, interesting
The 6.5 prc saami chamber is too sloppy and dies will not resize the brass enough so after a couple loadings you'll start to get tough loading or extraction or a bolt click. If your going custom Alex wheeler has has a reamer that fixes the issue the 6.5 aw2 reamer.
I have not heard this being an issue with the 300 case.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

IAMRAJ

Lil-Rokslider
I'm friends with someone whose on nat geo alaskan TV show...I won't name him. If he can kill oogruks, caribou, moose and those huge bears...with 30-06, I decided to stay with that cal. Killing an oogruk through all that fat from far distance is quite an art...considerung its gonna slid down the hole its sitting next to the moment it spots you from far. If a 30-06 can do it, I've no reason to believe ithat it won't kill anything in contimental US without a hitch. A good bullet with great powder and knowing your rifle is the key..to me. I don't even know why I have all these bazzilion cal rifles. I guess the kid in me wants every toy it sees.

PS: Added advantage is the wide variety of ammo available and don't have to hunt down the ammo to hunt..unlike all these ' newly in fashion' rounds!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
6.5 CM. A lot have already mentioned it. But a well placed shot that’s not through black timber busting branches will bring it down. Could have a heavy grain, shoulder busting load, but If the shot isn’t spot on, all that won’t matter. Get something you are comfortable with.

TheViking

WKR
6.5 CM. A lot have already mentioned it. But a well placed shot that’s not through black timber busting branches will bring it down. Could have a heavy grain, shoulder busting load, but If the shot isn’t spot on, all that won’t matter. Get something you are comfortable with.
A 300 WM or a 7mm with a brake kicks about the same as a 6.5 CM...and brings about 750-1000 ft-lbs more energy.

A 300 WM or a 7mm with a brake kicks about the same as a 6.5 CM...and brings about 750-1000 ft-lbs more energy.
Sorry. I have to disagree. My 300 wby mag leaves my shoulder black and blue. My savage storm 6.5 CM is soft like a toddler punch.

Certainty can agree about energy. But I have the bruises to say different lol