What caliber tradition loader for Elk ?

fireguy65

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having to go back to a traditional loader this year( new state regs), so what caliber do you feel is best for elk ? I know they would all take down an elk, with the correct placed shot, but if you had a choice what is best ? .45, .50,..54cal ?

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
54+, especially if you are hunting colorado.

I had no problems using my 50 and patched balls, but colorado changed it to 54cal in 2018. They used to even let us use 45cal long before I was born.

Roughneck

FNG
personally i use a .62 but .54 or ,58 would be good also. i just prefer the .62 for overall performance in my experience but i own all 3 calibers.

I am a .62 cal fan. although I HAVE NEVER HUNTED ELK ( BUCKET LIST ITEM) I am a fan of the big bores .62 D.R.T. on white tails.

Mosby

WKR
54+, especially if you are hunting colorado.

I had no problems using my 50 and patched balls, but colorado changed it to 54cal in 2018. They used to even let us use 45cal long before I was born.
I think Colorado allows 50 cal for elk when using conical bullets. 54 is the minimum for round ball.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
the OP asked what caliber to go with for a traditional muzzleloader and after reading through, it seems he wants to use a patched round ball.

jlpoe

FNG
Having done a little reading, it seems that a 54 would do the job, especially using the Powerbelt Copper Aerotip bullet non-sabot for Colorado. I've zeroed my Hawken with them and they shoot really well at paper out to 125 yards or so.

Anyone have any success using them for Elk?

pirogue

WKR
I don’t hunt that treehugger state, but traditional in a lot of states can include conical loads, but no scope, and no inline.