What caliber

Rich M

WKR
Enjoy your hunt with your 30-06. Practice out to whatever range you will shoot while hunting. I bought a bunch of Remington Core Lokts to shoot and use the brass from (shells cost about the same as buying brass). Issue was that the CL shoot about 2-3 inch groups at 250 and it wasn't good enough for me so been wearing the brass out and shooting hand loads more. Did get some premium ammo and it shot a little under 2 inch.

I'm limited to a 250 yard range in my area but my 06 will put 150 partitions into a 1.25-inch group at that range. 165 partitions a close to that. Shooting 165s for elk in about a week - have a range to shoot 300 and 400 when I get there and check zero. IMO, need to shoot tight groups at 250 to translate into tight groups at 400 yards.

That's just me being picky - you can shoot shoot 22-243-30-06 in rotation as yo let the barrel cool between shot strings. Get trigger time. Dry firing on snap caps at squirrels in the bird feeder out the back window works too - keep it still and squeeze - trigger time. Helps.

Your gear will depend on what kind of hunt - mountain backpack? mountain drop camp, etc.

I'm doing a truck camp and will be wearing jeans and flannel shirt and a light jacket most of the time due to mild temps projected for hunt dates. Will carry some kind of base layer & rain gear in case I get to spend the night away from camp or might get wet but otherwise jeans and flannel and light jacket.

Out here in the west the most popular new cartridge is the 6.5 Creedmore. Rifles in that caliber are flying off the racks ... as elk rifles. Your 30-06 will be perfect.

Forget the “once in a lifetime” elk hunt! Save your money and hunt with your 30-06 and the gear you have. With your savings you can go elk hunt again!

Wrench

WKR
An Idaho tag costs about as much as a cheap rifle or scope....sounds like you just bought another couple of hunts by using ol reliable.

CGS55

FNG
Ditto on responses to keep the 30-06. However, i understand the desire to upgrade rifles and gear. I assume most people on this forum upgrade gear frequently. If you’re looking for a dedicated elk rifle I’d look at heavy for caliber .30 chamberings like 30 Nosler or 300 PRC, especially if you’re looking to shoot medium/long range. If you’re keeping most shots under 400 yards I think the .338 win mag is a great option. Throw a muzzle break on it and shoot a quality bullet and you’re golden. Best of luck!

Don't listen to the b.s. on the internet about the latest trendy cartridge. It really comes down to shot placement and what you can comfortably shoot under any condition in the mountains. 95% of the people out there will never shoot past 300-400 yards.

IMHO the 30-06 is the best NA hunting cartridge out there. My recent shot was 300 yards with 180gr Accubond and it stopped the elk dead in it's tracks.

Wolf76

FNG
It all comes down to accuracy and energy. If you told me that you're thinking of longer shots 400+, then I'd suggest a 300 mag of your choice. The 06 will still get it done, it's just not optimal.
But for more normal shots, the 06 is a fine option-as is a 308 hot loaded with a 175 Berger;).
My elk guide said to be proficient at 300 yards. Turned out that spending time to be proficient at 500 yards was a very wise move. The other guys at camp were missing elk regularly@375-490. My group went 3 for 3 with 1 shot kills. I'd say Broz's 215 Berger is everything he documented it to be.

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
3006 is great.

7mm Mag is also great.

I had great success with 300 WSM and factory Fusion 180gr.

I just shot one with a 30-06. Elk didn’t seem to care that it was a 113 year old design.

That said I really want a 7mm RM. ballistics are a bit better, and I’d like a better rifle anyway so might as well get the caliber I want.

But no problems at all with 30-06. Shoot what you’re comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jonmac

FNG
Thank you for all the replies and opinions and advice.

I am going to start shooting some different grains of ammunition to get the best that I can.

What I will be shooting is a Kimber Montana with a Leupold scope, Anyone have one of these that can fill me in on what their's likes.

I know every rifle is different just would like to have a starting point

I didn't realize I had so many questions

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can’t say what it’ll shoot like in the Montana, but I would start with 165 Accubonds (Nosler off the shelf)- if your rifle likes them- you’re set :)

ChrisAU

WKR
Can’t say what it’ll shoot like in the Montana, but I would start with 165 Accubonds (Nosler off the shelf)- if your rifle likes them- you’re set :)

Used 160 grain Nosler Accubonds in factory Nosler loadings last week, recovered one and it performed perfectly.

Your rifle is excellent. Bullet choice is second-most important. Shot placement is of course most important. Choose the right bullet for the task and shoot the distance you are comfortable with. Make the right choice when it comes to shooting and don't take a bad shot.

There are some nice partition and/or bonded 165 and 180 grain high BC bullets that have much lower wind drift than others in the same caliber. For factory ammo, those with Nosler Partition, AccuBond, and E-Tip bullets are all appropriate for elk. Several other brands as well.

Last edited:
I shoot a tikka t3x in the 300 win mag. Really light which is great for packing in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk