What caliber

mac53

FNG
Probably asked a million times, but is a 30-06 too big for Antelope? What I mean is will there be a lot of meat waisted with this caliber?
I am planning a hunt out to Wyoming probably the northeastern part of the state and I understand that there are bears. I have a 243 that I am very confident with but am worried that it won't be enough gun if needed for bear. I will also have a sidearm

I have found a 7mm-08 that I am interested in but not sure if that would be better than what I have. I Deer hunt Indiana and have never been out West and just trying to make a solid decision. The hunt that I will be doing is for Mule Deer and Antelope.

Thanks for any help.

TN2shot07

WKR
If you are putting the bullet through the ribs a 300 weatherby isn’t too much for antelope, a 30-06 will be fine. It’s all in shot placement so carry what you’re most comfortable and confident with.

Shot mine in 2019 with a .308 also had .257 Roberts along as a back up but did not need it. This year only going for mulies will take a .300 win. mag. and a 6.5. creedmore. I suggest a light bullet in the 150 gr. range and get comfortable shooting at least too 300 yards it will get the job done on antelope.

Shot one last year with a 215 grain bullet out of a 300 win was not 2 much at all. Also I'd be really impressed if you saw a bear in that area

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
If you hit the shoulders or high back anything will tear up the meat. Ive never hunted that area so Idk about the chance of bear enounters. If it's a slim chance then I'd take the .243 that you're confident with and go to work. It will do great in the wind too.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Any .30 cal is fine. Don't let anyone tell you any different. 30-06 is perfect. I shot mine with a '06.

Bears and antelope inhabit different areas. Antelope prefer rolling hills and flat terrain that they can use their eyes to see. Bears are normally in the mountains. I sincerely doubt you'll see a bear antelope hunting.

My dad, brother, buddy and I shot 6 antelope in 1.5 days in WY 3 years ago. We had: 243, 308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag.

Trust me, don't overthink it. Get an accurate rifle, any bullet will do (they aren't tough animals, you don't need a "tough" bonded bullet) and go hunt.

Grumman

WKR
My son shot an antelope last year with a 165 Sierra TGK in 30-06. It killed fast and had less meat damage than some others we shot with the Creed ELDX. I wouldn’t hesitate to take your 30-06.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I killed my first antelope, a doe with a 338 WM (only rifle available) Certainly worked but lost some meat. We have also killed them with a 22-250, and about everything in between

If you want no meat loss head/neck shot.

As mentioned you probably could NOT find a bear there even if you wanted too.

Jimss

WKR
I use a 300 wsm for everything antelope elk deer moose sheep mtn goat and bear. Just make sure your shot and exit hole is behind both shoulders and you’ll be fine. I usually keep all my capes for taxidermy and usually have only a small entrance hole with 150 gr nosler ballistic tips.

jhim

FNG
I shot last year's antelope with a 270gr LRX from my .375 Ruger and had less meat loss than shooting 2019's antelope with a 143gr ELD-X from my 6.5 Creed. I think it comes down to bullet construction and shot placement more than bullet diameter. Just like jimss said aim behind both shoulders and you'll be fine.

DoubleDropMuley

Lil-Rokslider
30-06 would be fine for sure, 243 would do the trick on a bear also but like others said not much of a chance of seeing one, not saying it’s not possible but chances are worse than Loyd Christmas was with Mary Swanson !!

You'll be just fine with a 30-06, the key is to use the cartridge and gun that you are confident making a clean kill.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Take the one you shoot the best. The answer really is that simple. No need for a sidearm. I don't think I've ever seen anyone carrying one while antelope hunting. If you're running into bears, in NE Wyoming while antelope hunting, check the map.....you may be lost.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Whatever you shoot best is the obvious correct answer, but never miss an opportunity/excuse for a new gun. Antelope are quite petite, and a 3006 is MORE than enough gun. I choice would be something 25 cal or smaller, so as not to destroy all the meat.

Wags

WKR
I've killed all but 2 of my goats over the years (3 last year alone) with an 06 & my grandfather has killed countless with his and we've never had any issue with meat loss unless you choose to drive through the shoulder. I've always lung shot them and never had an issue. Bullet choice obviously would have an Impact on this too. I've killed several with the ELDX and can say it makes big entry holes... I'll be going back to the Partition or Barnes.

Rich M

WKR
I shot a couple speed goats with 3006 - they didn't explode or anything. Shot em with 150 gr Sierra Pro Hunters at 2900 fps. Had rifle set for dead hold out to 350 yards.

243 would be fine too.

Don't worry about bears. You won't likely see any.

amassi

WKR
Don't overthink this antelope are not tough to kill nor can they be made extra dead

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk