What Camera?

How do you get rid of the dark ring around the pic when taken through a scope? I have been looking at a tines up camera system. They have an adapter and small cannon camera that slides over your spotter it's a slick set up and you can shoot video also.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't always get the ring; just depends on what power I'm on.

I actually try and get it in some photos...always thought it looked cool:)

If you keep the scope below 30X and keep the camera at the lowest setting, than you won't get the ring.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
DSC00339.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

Same distance, same scope, same camera, but different setting and zoom.

The photo with the ring around it was intentional for the affect, but sometimes I zoom in enough that I don't have a choice.

shanevg

WKR
I have a Canon 30D DSLR that I shoot with when I'm scouting. I do take it along on a day hunt or a weekend backpacking trip. If weight is a big factor I take my Panasonic Lumix that has 12x optical zoom and 12 or 14 MP. It takes great pictures and you can still get some zoom etc. It even has some manual settings on it. I also have a Panasonic video camera that I just purchased to start filming my hunts.

I've been looking at the different Micro 4/3s cameras for quite a while now. I'm really interested in the Panasonic ones as well as the Sony. At this point I'm kind of waiting for the market to figure out which camera is going to be the leader in the market. With all the different brands in the market and so many different kinds of lenses that are not compatible across the board, I'm just not ready to jump on a brand train yet. Canon hasn't even entered the market. The Sony Nex is certainly a great camera though.

Those iPhone lenses look really interesting. I have never been happy with my iPhone camera overall, but maybe those lenses would improve it. I think I'd still prefer the Panasonic Lumix though just because I know I can rely on great pictures from it.

shanevg

WKR
Yeah the Nikon is not known to be good in low light. It is made for action sports with really quick shutter speeds. The Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus cameras are really the cream of the crop right now. I believe Panasonic and Olympus can share lenses while Sony is on its own. The Sony lenses are way pricier but the cameras are a lot better. Canon hasn't even hit the market yet and Nikon has a pretty crappy camera on the market. I just want to wait for the market to decide on the standards before I make the financial investment. Especially as I'm still trying to build up my DSLR lens collection.

shanevg

WKR
I actually ditched my DSLR's and just run the NEX for everything....I hated packing the Cannon T2I everywhere.

I just can't see myself doing that yet. I don't know what you are using your cameras for primarily but I spend more time doing wildlife photography in general than just hunting photography. I just haven't seen the quality of photos for a National Park photography trip with a 4/3 camera as a DSLR.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I just can't see myself doing that yet. I don't know what you are using your cameras for primarily but I spend more time doing wildlife photography in general than just hunting photography. I just haven't seen the quality of photos for a National Park photography trip with a 4/3 camera as a DSLR.

Shane, the Sony NEX series has a full APS-C sized sensor, just like your DSLR. It is not a micro 4/3. The NEX is simply a mirrorless SLR. Very nice picture quality in both prints I have seen and labratory testing. The only thing a full DSLR has that the NEX doesn't is a mirror and weight.

shanevg

WKR
Shane, the Sony NEX series has a full APS-C sized sensor, just like your DSLR. It is not a micro 4/3. The NEX is simply a mirrorless SLR. Very nice picture quality in both prints I have seen and labratory testing. The only thing a full DSLR has that the NEX doesn't is a mirror and weight.

It's very possible I'm just afraid to change! :)

dotman

WKR
So my lumix fh24, can it be setup to take pics thru a scope? It is more of a point and shoot but has 16mp 8x optical zoom or do you have to have the larger lens to take pics thru a scope?

shanevg

WKR
I just hold my Lumix up through the scope. I have yet to find a digiscoping adapter that works well for it.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
So my lumix fh24, can it be setup to take pics thru a scope? It is more of a point and shoot but has 16mp 8x optical zoom or do you have to have the larger lens to take pics thru a scope?

8x is a little too much zoom on the high end to make for a really good digiscoping camera. You really want to limit the upper end of a compact camera's zoom at 3x to 4x. There is a good digiscoping thread elsewhere in the optics forum that has some good info and pics of my setup. Adapters are much better than handholding, IMO.