What Camera?

Yukondog

WKR
What is everyone carrying to take pictures?

I have a large clunker that I want to replace with a smaller point and shoot type camera.

What is working for you?

Matt

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I bought a Sony NEX5 and can't say enough about it. I will write up a review and post it up later in the week, but it's the best all around backpacking camera I've used.

It's like a point and shoot with an SLR lens.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Sony WX1. It is a great compact camera with good quality 720P HD video. This camera works great for digiscoping. The Sony NEX mirrorless SLR cameras are awesome with their huge APS-C sensors, but they don't have a good digiscoping-compatible lens available yet. I am looking hard at the Nikon V1. It seems like the image quality and video is really good, and the kit lens works well for digiscoping.

Gman

WKR
Aron,

Have you found a minimilst case for that yet? I have an Olympus PEN (think it's the EM1) style. Same idea as your Sony. Looking for a barebones way toi protect it in my pack. Also, how do you carry yours so you have it handy and use it? I find that if it's not right on me I won't take pics. Tried rigging up a bino harness (elastic kind) but didn't really dig that. Was thinking that bino bro would be great for a camera if you weren't carrying binos but then again, when is that? Interested in your thoughts.

Jdallen

FNG
I picked up a "Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX10 16.2 MP Waterproof Digital Still Camera" on a Black Friday Amazon deal for half off and couldn't be happier. Takes full 1080p video, 16.2 MP still shots and also the cool 3D Panorama still shots. Waterproof, shock proof and Freeze Proof (Needed in AK) with a slick touch screen LCD interface. The Carl Zeiss lens is also a added bonus.

Campo

FNG
I have one of the Canon Powershots...I forget which model (don't have it with me right now) but at 8mp it is awesome.

That said, I used my sister's Canon PowerShot 12MP at her wedding...the picture quality blew mine out 'da water!

ceetoo

FNG
I'm a still frame guy. I don't carry my Nikon DSLR into the field because of the weight, though there have been many times I've wished I'd had it. In the field I currently carry a little Canon point-and-shoot; a SD780 (3 years old I think?). With today's technology, I'm pretty sure most folks would be fine with whatever fits their budget and a few basic composition and scene set up principles. When the current Canon dies, I'll be looking to pick up a S95 or S100 for a pocket camera - some slick features in a point-and-shoot for camera dorks...

Eagle

WKR
I've been using a panasonic lumix ZS-1 for three years now. Weighs about 7 oz. and takes great quality pics. 12X zoom is decent enough and it can take video as well. I may upgrade in the future to a newer model or something different, but the lumix is by far the best I've ever had.

jhedine

FNG
I have a Cannon PowerShot SD780 IS. Its the size of a credit card and just under a .5in thick. 12.1mp and has HD video. Great battery life but its a little pricey ($400ish) likey less now.

G Posik

WKR
I carry my Olympus Stylus 850. It is a few years old but tough as can be.
Freeze proof, drop proof and water proof. Great picture and video quality. Although I might be upgrading this year because my 4 year old daughter wants this camera for "Her's"

Glenn

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
Canon G12 is an excellent point and shoot. The S95 is also very nice with a few less options. Anything high level point and shoot with the ability to shoot in RAW mode is excellent. I wont buy another camera that doesn't have the ability to shoot in RAW.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This was taken with the Sony NEX5 and a Zeiss 85mm Diascope at 350 yards.
DSC00347.jpg

cmeier117

WKR
Aron,

Have you found a minimilst case for that yet? I have an Olympus PEN (think it's the EM1) style. Same idea as your Sony. Looking for a barebones way toi protect it in my pack. Also, how do you carry yours so you have it handy and use it? I find that if it's not right on me I won't take pics. Tried rigging up a bino harness (elastic kind) but didn't really dig that. Was thinking that bino bro would be great for a camera if you weren't carrying binos but then again, when is that? Interested in your thoughts.

You should go on Pelican website and see if they have any that would work? They are waterproof and dang near bombproof.

Aron!!! You gotta teach me some things about digiscoping!!! DAMN!!!

I was using a canon point and shoot I borrowed from my parents this year. The week before I left to hunt my panasonic just ... well ... lets just say that I am in the market :)

dotman

WKR
Just picked up a panasonic lumix zh24. Haven't tested it out yet but this thing has some good reviews.