What Camo Pattern for Turkey?

xcutter

WKR
As much of a camo snob I am I really do think it's about movement and picking the right setup for a bird coming in to a call. Picking a large tree to lean against that will break up your outline, cutting a few saplings and laying them down in front of you, sitting in a blow down, etc... You get the idea.

eamyrick

WKR
Bass pro/cabelas makes a green 3D leafy jacket. It blocks the bugs and is awesome camo. About $50 and you can wear whatever underneath.

MeatBuck

WKR
Gonna go right ahead and beat on the ol dead horse a bit more here.
Camo pattern isn't as important as being fully covered and not moving while the turkey is in your line of sight.
That said, I always use mossy oak obsession for spring turkey and that includes my shotgun. I covered my vest and face mask in those faux leaves that pin on to help break up my outline.
I've been pinned down by gobblers while standing in the wide open and didn't get a second look from them as they strolled by looking for my calls.

On a side note, I heard my first gobble of the spring this morning, Jr. hunt is 2 weekends away! Setting blinds this weekend in hopes that my son can get it done with a the old .410 again this year.

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
Growing up in Kansas one of my best friends showed up for one morning hunt wearing a Cincinnati Bengals Boomer Esiasin jersey. He killed a turkey that morning. So maybe some sort of tiger print... sit still

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TCeppp

FNG
I'm rocking the NOMAD Mossy Oak Obsession. Decent pricing as well for a whole new turkey set up.

Jimss

WKR
A lot depends on the vegetation and time of year you'll be hunting. I often place all my different camo patterns out in the country I'll be hunting and the ones that blend in best are what I go for. The pattern and colors that blend in during April hunts may be different than in May once everything greens up. I also have a selection of layers for different conditions. It can be 20 degrees or 80 on the same trip!

Growing up in Kansas one of my best friends showed up for one morning hunt wearing a Cincinnati Bengals Boomer Esiasin jersey. He killed a turkey that morning. So maybe some sort of tiger print... sit still

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

gobbler probably figured no way a guy in that jersey is hitting anything from 30 yards.

11bravo

FNG
Mossy Oak Obsession is my go to but movement will be your enemy not the pattern

Holocene

WKR
Lots of good points here. If anything to add:

1. Camo not critical at all. I've killed em in earth tones at 6 yards. The biggest thing that will bust you is -- lots of guys have said it -- movement. If and when you do move (get gun up for example) you are going to do that when his head is behind some sapling or if in the open when he gobbles since his head is shaking violently and he won't be able to see you with great acuity.
2. Rather than rely on camo, always strive to create really good setups. That might mean setting up in a ditch, around an impenetrable cover of brush, just beyond a short rise. I know this is not possible ALWAYS, but can't tell you how many turkeys I've killed by luring them around some obstacle until WHOOOM they don't even have a chance to see whether I'm wearing bottomland or kuiu or whatever.
3. All that said, lightweight ghillie shirts and hats are awesome. I wear the First Lite top and mask just because that's what I got a good deal on a few years ago, so I and wear these religiously for turkey season. They move with the wind. Super ninja.

Not ragging on any camo type at all. Most important thing is be comfortable and don't let those turkeys know you are in their house until it's too late.

Good luck this season everyone.

BD

Last edited:
Like others said, the pattern doesn’t matter. Just stay hidden and still! That said, if I had to choose a dedicated turkey pattern the UA Ridge Reaper pattern is probably the best spring turkey pattern out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Aside from not moving around, most of the guys I know wear leafy suits.

I have no experience with turkeys, but have a brush colored leafy/grass style suit I wear for ducks and can literally sit on an island of dead grass and almost get em with a tennis racket. Those suits work.

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Virginia and hunt turkeys there. I've used the older Sitka Elevate pattern, the green one. But more recently started using the Sub Alpine. I don't think I've ever had a bird spot me in either camo. I always hunt from the ground, rather than fully enclosed ground blinds.

Everting I have is a mix of bottomland and obsession. North mountain leafy top is where it’s at.

cvsetter

FNG
I use first lite fusion for pretty much everything the last few years.but when it comes to spring turkey just can't get rid of my old mossy oak camo.bottomland and Greenleaf for the early season and obsession when it greens up.