What can I use to add some traction to my grip

Rob5589

WKR
My grip is a tad slick. I thought of skateboard tape but I think it would be too rough on my bare hand. Would hockey stick tape work and not get sticky and goopey? And other suggestions?

Thanks

There’s a few companies that makes such a thing for gun grips. Basically a less aggressive skateboard grip tape. Talon grip sells a sheet for about $10 that you can cutout whatever shape you need

Wrap it in leather. Three rivers and most other companies sell a leather peel and stick grip. Inner tube. Tennis grip works (kinda thick). Companies sell a rubber slip on grip

Big Jim’s
3 rivers
Kustom king archery
Lancaster archery
Binghams supply

Just a few places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Tentacle Wrap from Limb Savers, it works great and stays put when you get it all figured out how to install it. I used the tennis racket grip tape and it started slipping on a hot day. I've also used camp cloth tape from I think the Allen company and I used a little contact cement on the end of the wrap and it didn't start peeling up. That tentacle Wrap though, it's great but it can maybe add a little more diameter than your might want.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Rob the worse thing you can do to any grip is what you’re mentioning. With the correct grip you could prob oil it. Best it slides if need be exactly in the same place each time. Just a strong consideration recommendation. Sounds like you’re gonna be adding a very good chance at torqueing the bow

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Rob the worse thing you can do to any grip is what you’re mentioning. With the correct grip you could prob oil it. Best it slides if need be exactly in the same place each time. Just a strong consideration recommendation. Sounds like you’re gonna be adding a very good chance at torqueing the bow
Hmm, never considered that.

GLB

WKR
Yep putting grip tape on a grip is trying to fix a problem with another potential problem. It most often will add torque to the bow especially recurves. Either the bow grip doesn’t work for you or it’s how you are gripping the bow. I think however that if you just need a little ledge for your life line of the bow hand it might work in your favor.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I had south stipple my last one he built. Not the whole grip but enough to add texture. Every bow I order will have it. Absolutely love the texture and grip.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Yep putting grip tape on a grip is trying to fix a problem with another potential problem. It most often will add torque to the bow especially recurves. Either the bow grip doesn’t work for you or it’s how you are gripping the bow. I think however that if you just need a little ledge for your life line of the bow hand it might work in your favor.
Something along the the back of the grip is what I believe will help. Not really wrapping the grip completely. I'll play with it and see.

Reactions: GLB

Kentucky

WKR
This is Talon tape. It’s a rubberized pistol grip tape.. works well on a flatter surface.

i wrap a thin piece of bicycle inter tube around my bow sometimes.. but like other have said, it can cause torque.. I have a longbow that I love the feel with the rubber but cause me to torque the bow and I’m getting vanes contact I guess, causes arrow to spiral down range… take it off and they are like lasers… I may be a touch stiff as well..

Attachments

• 0B683DF0-28B4-4E41-8FFF-A59BEDFEB1A0.jpeg
    0B683DF0-28B4-4E41-8FFF-A59BEDFEB1A0.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 19

Bobinbend

FNG
Try Vet Wrap ! Self adhesive, inexpensive, won't affect the finish and easy to take off. If you place the web of your hand in the throat of your recurve riser, you should have no torquing.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I use baseball bat grip tape. You can even find it in generic camo, I have lizard skin on mine now.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Thanks all. What I found when playing around with my grip, I was too far out into my thumb. So I changed my grip position and lowered my wrist some and it's much better. What I did do was add some grip tape in the same position that Kentucky has pictured so I have a more tactile feel when I have the correct spot. So far so good.

You could rub some paraffin wax on it.

this right here works extremely well also. before the season I wax my entire bow with a light coat of wax. I either use johnsons paste wax or the easier spray on parafin wax works like a champ during wet weather. It doesn't hurt the finish of the bow.

Alvie

FNG
If you have a equestrian supply store nearby stop in and pickup some of that elastic stretchy wrap they use to wrap on a hoarse leg or angle. It’s cheap and I’ve found it’s one of my preferred. If you shoot a bunch you need to rewrap every couple months.

Count me as one who definitely prefers a secure, non-slip grip on my hunting bow.

I've used adhesive fleece, small sections of velcro (soft side), adhesive leather, rubber wrap, checkering and more. They all worked for me. THE BEST thing I've ever used on a bow grip is beaver tail leather. It has a rather hard finish (slight gloss) while being a soft leather. It has lots of texture for great hand-feel. Not too grippy. Warmer in winter and less slippery in summer.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425