What cartridge for first rifle build?

OP
JPeters218
I like your choice but here's what I'd do if you're even remotely considering the 270 wsm, buy a Tikka!
I had one in 270 wsm and it was a hammer, I took it to 1000 yards regularly in the factory configuration. Selling it was a huge mistake but I told myself I needed a 7mm..
You can pick one up for $600 ish and put another $600 into a Mesa Altitude carbon fiber stock and you're set.
If I go the tikka route, which I still might, it’ll be getting a carbon six or Proof barrel. (I can’t go back to normal barrels after using the proof on my ultralite. They cool down so much quicker than normal). and an AG Privateer (I don’t like vertical grips). So it would just be in a tikka action if that changes your thoughts

madcalfe

WKR
If I go the tikka route, which I still might, it’ll be getting a carbon six or Proof barrel. (I can’t go back to normal barrels after using the proof on my ultralite. They cool down so much quicker than normal). and an AG Privateer (I don’t like vertical grips). So it would just be in a tikka action if that changes your thoughts
have you spent time using a vertical grip?
I didn't like vertical grips at first and I can tell you I'm never going back to a traditional sporter stock

OP
JPeters218
have you spent time using a vertical grip?
I didn't like vertical grips at first and I can tell you I'm never going back to a traditional sporter stock
The only experience I have with them is from handling a Springfield 2020 waypoint. I hated everything about that gun. I would guess the vertical grip is nice for shooting prone, but the only thing I’ve ever shot prone was a couple antelope. It’s really important for me for a gun to shoulder well, and it was pretty clear that gun was not designed to do that

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The only experience I have with them is from handling a Springfield 2020 waypoint. I hated everything about that gun. I would guess the vertical grip is nice for shooting prone, but the only thing I’ve ever shot prone was a couple antelope. It’s really important for me for a gun to shoulder well, and it was pretty clear that gun was not designed to do that

This is a misconception put out by people who have only used traditional guns. Vertical grips shoulder, swing and track better than a traditional swept grip. In Olympic skeet and trap vertical grips dominate. In biathlon there are nothing but vertical grips. Every single rifle in action sports- 3 gun/PCC, uses vertical grips and they shoot much faster and from all positions than any hunter. 10m free style, silhouette, etc etc.

Body mechanics support vertical, not traditional swept grips. Ironically the only position that a swept grip isn’t a severe compromise on body mechanics is the prone.

madcalfe

WKR
vertical grips will feel a bit odd at first but after a couple outings with one you'll love them.
I personally have a hard time getting comfortable on a sporter style stock now

OP
JPeters218
vertical grips will feel a bit odd at first but after a couple outings with one you'll love them.
I personally have a hard time getting comfortable on a sporter style stock now
I’m sure you’re right that I’d get used to it, but I grew up on tradition grips, and both my current rifles have them. I’m perfectly happy with how I shoot and how they handle. So at this point I’m gonna stick with the more traditional design of the privateer. If I find that that stock doesn’t fit me right, then I might look into a Vertical grip.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
The cartridge choice is really almost irrelevant in your case. There is little difference between most hunting cartridges. They all shoot a chunk of lead at a pretty good speed and kill stuff. If you are looking at 500 yards and under then a .308 will do fine on any animal you will shoot. Bigger cartridges from there are only more expensive and recoil harder.

I think you have two options. Go get a nice Tikka rifle and shoot it. Shoot it a lot. Custom barrels won't really help you with learning the art of shooting a high powered rifle. Time behind the gun is the key. Sure most people know that but most don't shoot more than 10 rounds a year through their high powered rifle (AR's excluded).

Option two (this is the option I would choose) Sell all the guns you have and come up with enough money to actually build one bad ass custom rifle. You will be very, very happy and this will help improve your accuracy in the long run. In reality you only need one rifle for everything in the lower 48. If you need a bigger gun it will probably be a be a really big 30 cal or 338. Deal with that later. Guys spend way to much time talking about guns and buying every caliber known to man (you do realize that new cartridges are developed to sell more guns to guys that need every caliber). I'm a firm believer in getting to know one rifle intimately and being very proficient with the firearm. You will be a much better marksman when you limit the number of weapons you hunt with. I've got a Bat action chambered in 6.5X284, brux #3 stainless steel barrel (carbon is way over rated) jewel trigger, Mcmillan stock and topped with a zero compromise scope. It drives tacks and I'm comfortable shooting as far as needed. I'm not cool like all my buddies that have 5 rifles and can say that they have all kinds of options. But.....they know when we go shooting I'll crush them.

Why can’t you buy a savage and just have a carbon barrel put on it? In the caliber of your choosing. You are right that the 270 WSM is ballistically better than 270 win. If getting a savage ultralight though could get 280 AI with a carbon barrel for $1400z

Also I think the 300 wsm barrel would sell.

Factory .270 wsm tikka lites are on GB for 700-$1000 right now as well.

OP
JPeters218
Option two (this is the option I would choose) Sell all the guns you have and come up with enough money to actually build one bad ass custom rifle. You will be very, very happy and this will help improve your accuracy in the long run. In reality you only need one rifle for everything in the lower 48.
I have considered this, but I’m pretty sure I’ll end up buying more later on. I already know that I’m set for everything in North America. I just have the urge for something new.
I'm a firm believer in getting to know one rifle intimately and being very proficient with the firearm. You will be a much better marksman when you limit the number of weapons you hunt with.
That was my thought in sticking with savage. I would essentially have 3 guns that are exactly the same, there would just be a different sized bullet coming out of them.
I get that the ballistics of each of them will be slightly different, but the platform would be the same

OP
JPeters218
Why can’t you buy a savage and just have a carbon barrel put on it? In the caliber of your choosing. You are right that the 270 WSM is ballistically better than 270 win. If getting a savage ultralight though could get 280 AI with a carbon barrel for $1400z

Also I think the 300 wsm barrel would sell.

Factory .270 wsm tikka lites are on GB for 700-$1000 right now as well.
A 300wsm ultralite turned into a .270wsm might be the answer then. Although Savage is sending me another stock for my ultralite. So I could potentially buy like a 110 storm in .270wsm or .300wsm and drop it in my new stock, and then order a carbon barrel.
I think both options would end up costing about the same $$

DaChank

FNG
Thi
The cartridge choice is really almost irrelevant in your case. There is little difference between most hunting cartridges. They all shoot a chunk of lead at a pretty good speed and kill stuff. If you are looking at 500 yards and under then a .308 will do fine on any animal you will shoot. Bigger cartridges from there are only more expensive and recoil harder.

I think you have two options. Go get a nice Tikka rifle and shoot it. Shoot it a lot. Custom barrels won't really help you with learning the art of shooting a high powered rifle. Time behind the gun is the key. Sure most people know that but most don't shoot more than 10 rounds a year through their high powered rifle (AR's excluded).

Option two (this is the option I would choose) Sell all the guns you have and come up with enough money to actually build one bad ass custom rifle. You will be very, very happy and this will help improve your accuracy in the long run. In reality you only need one rifle for everything in the lower 48. If you need a bigger gun it will probably be a be a really big 30 cal or 338. Deal with that later. Guys spend way to much time talking about guns and buying every caliber known to man (you do realize that new cartridges are developed to sell more guns to guys that need every caliber). I'm a firm believer in getting to know one rifle intimately and being very proficient with the firearm. You will be a much better marksman when you limit the number of weapons you hunt with. I've got a Bat action chambered in 6.5X284, brux #3 stainless steel barrel (carbon is way over rated) jewel trigger, Mcmillan stock and topped with a zero compromise scope. It drives tacks and I'm comfortable shooting as far as needed. I'm not cool like all my buddies that have 5 rifles and can say that they have all kinds of options. But.....they know when we go shooting I'll crush them.
This is the way right here. I have one custom rifle i shoot the shit out of. The rest of the money goes to reloading.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
What twist do you think? 9? Is 8 getting to be too fast for 150’s?
If you want to shoot the newer 165/170/175 gr. bullets you need a 1/7.5 or 1/8 twist. Bartlien will make any twist barrel you want, just give them a call.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly. Sell all three and have an awesome custom that shoots better than those. I convinced my buddy to do that after he shot my gun and couldn't believe the difference. I just asked him if he liked his 30-06, 7mm and 270......or would he rather have my gun. He sold his very nice production guns and make a defiance action, brux barrel, McMillan stock, trigger tech trigger in 6.5PRC. Gun is awesome and just drives tacks to as far as he can see.

Beware the man who uses only one gun because he probably knows how to use it much better than the guy who rotates between different guns all of the time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This if you want to be a feared man with rifle.

eric1115

WKR
My understanding is that carbon wrapped barrels are much slower to cool the actual bore. Carbon wrap insulates the steel bore, keeping it hot longer. You just don't feel the heat because it doesn't transfer to the outside.

If I'm mistaken on this I'd love to know it.

Lawnboi

WKR
Couple points.
A vertical grip is better all around, all the time. especially as you get into rifles with any recoil. Just my opinion. Way easier to keep them tight without imparting too much force into the stock.

I think carbon barrels are a waste unless you’re doing a long tube and need the diameter. If not save your money.

I agree with sell what you got and get one nice hunting rifle, learn it well. I’d rather have one reliable setup than 8 rifles that shoot okay once n a while that I rarely get behind.

All the calibers you mentioned, really don’t make a bit of difference at the ranges you are talking. More recoil, blast and more expensive ammo is only going to hurt you. On top of that if your serious about making more hits at that 500 yard range, I’d be looking at something that can fire a bullet efficient in the wind. M

With ammo prices how they are, reloading would be a necessity for me at this point if I wanted to spend that much on a rifle. Nothing more irritating that re zeroing or re doping a rifle because you changed lots or ammo. Having a barrels worth of bullets, powder and cases makes it easy to be consistent throughout and not wasting barrel like chasing your own ass.

madcalfe

WKR
A 300wsm ultralite turned into a .270wsm might be the answer then. Although Savage is sending me another stock for my ultralite. So I could potentially buy like a 110 storm in .270wsm or .300wsm and drop it in my new stock, and then order a carbon barrel.
I think both options would end up costing about the same $$
id just keep the 300wsm. does everything a .270wsm does but better. plus also outruns the 30.06 by about 200fps.
I'm with everyone here about selling both guns and just building a custom lol,
also if you get bored of that cartridge its easy enough to buy a new barrel and swap between then with a few tools at home.

OP
JPeters218
You all say the cartridge doesn’t matter at the ranges i mentioned. Is it worth selling my guns and building a $2500 custom to only shoot a max of 500 yards? (90% of my shots are under 100) Especially when I don’t reload? My local range is only 300yds as well. I can easily shoot both my current guns into 1.5” at 300 w/ factory ammo. I shoot an elk, 2 antelope, and a whitetail every year and antelope are the only ones I’ve ever had to shoot more than 100 yards for.
This rifle was going to be one that I could mix in for anything, and be the one I’d take when I cash in My mule deer points and might have to shoot to shoot a little farther.