What cartridge for first rifle build?

Quick follow up to the OP.

If you are paying to get a rifle "built", then just get hand-loads developed for it. It's not necessarily "that" much more from a cost perspective and will yield a better "final" product.

But I do recommend figuring out exactly what you want to achieve with the rifle. Here is an example with made up numbers. 0.5 MOA (3-shot), able to punch through a bull elk's shoulder and kill it at 700 yards, etc.

madcalfe

WKR
Quick follow up to the OP.

If you are paying to get a rifle "built", then just get hand-loads developed for it. It's not necessarily "that" much more from a cost perspective and will yield a better "final" product.

But I do recommend figuring out exactly what you want to achieve with the rifle. Here is an example with made up numbers. 0.5 MOA (3-shot), able to punch through a bull elk's shoulder and kill it at 700 yards, etc.
sounds like a .300wsm ;)

wildcat33

WKR
I like 280ai, but you should look for ammo or brass before you commit. Basically doesn't exist right now.

In my area 6 creed is readily available off the shelf. Fun to shoot, slippery, and plenty for most critters.

OP
JPeters218
I like 280ai, but you should look for ammo or brass before you commit. Basically doesn't exist right now.

In my area 6 creed is readily available off the shelf. Fun to shoot, slippery, and plenty for most critters.
Yea I know all about the ammo situation. I’m not doing this build until next year anyways. So maybe things will have calmed down by then.
But I’m on the side of, get/ build what you want, and you’ll find ammo. You just have to be patient, and maybe pay a little more than normal

wildcat33

WKR
Yea I know all about the ammo situation. I’m not doing this build until next year anyways. So maybe things will have calmed down by then.
But I’m on the side of, get/ build what you want, and you’ll find ammo. You just have to be patient, and maybe pay a little more than normal

Fair, I didn't need to restate the obvious. 280ai is a great choice.

Another one not mentioned yet - 6.5-284. It’s a non magnum, would go perfect in a tikka and right in the middle of what you have. Factory ammo available. Has sort of lost popularity to the PRC fad, but still performs.

The 6.5x55 would be a lower recoil version that. A straight .284 win would be neat but not readily available and basically the same as a 280 rem. Also in that group would be the 7x57…. You need to reload! Make cartridge selection more fun 🤩

Motown

WKR
I have a semi custom 280 Rem and love the cartridge. The only issue with it is even in a normal world the ammo availability is extremely limited.

If you know anybody that handloads I would buy some dies and brass. I shot some different variations of factory 140’s out of mine but was only getting around 2800-2850fps on average from a 22” tube. While that isn’t too bad I was able to find a load using 140 grain accubonds and Reloader 26 that averages 1/2 moa and around 3130fps. Reloader 26 is a game changer with some calibers and pretty much gives me AI velocities. I can even push 160’s at 3,000 fps as well with it.

OP
JPeters218
I have a semi custom 280 Rem and love the cartridge. The only issue with it is even in a normal world the ammo availability is extremely limited.

If you know anybody that handloads I would buy some dies and brass. I shot some different variations of factory 140’s out of mine but was only getting around 2800-2850fps on average from a 22” tube. While that isn’t too bad I was able to find a load using 140 grain accubonds and Reloader 26 that averages 1/2 moa and around 3130fps. Reloader 26 is a game changer with some calibers and pretty much gives me AI velocities. I can even push 160’s at 3,000 fps as well with it.
That’s an impressive jump over factory. I figured I’d shoot 150 partitions or ab’s. I also don’t have a chrono so I have no idea what velocity I’d be at. I’d be open to going 24” since I’m not going to be shooting braked or suppressed. But unfortunately I don’t know anyone that had loads. I might pick it up a few years down the road

OP
JPeters218
Another one not mentioned yet - 6.5-284. It’s a non magnum, would go perfect in a tikka and right in the middle of what you have. Factory ammo available. Has sort of lost popularity to the PRC fad, but still performs.

The 6.5x55 would be a lower recoil version that. A straight .284 win would be neat but not readily available and basically the same as a 280 rem. Also in that group would be the 7x57…. You need to reload! Make cartridge selection more fun 🤩
Looking at the 6.5-284, it’s numbers w/ 140’s are nothing exciting to me. 129’s it gets better, but very similar to my 25-06 at that point

very similar to my 25-06 at that point
That’s the rabbit hole of rifles! Many cartridge are very similar! Not much difference between what you already have anyway so trying to squeeze in between will be close to one side or the other.

Now if you reload and are will to go magnum you could get further away- like a 6.5 RPM or 6.8 westerner, 28 Nos or 7mm WSM…

I’m thinking about building off of a tikka action (prob next year), but I’m not sure what to chamber it in yet. I have a savage ultralight 30-06, and a savage lightweight storm 25-06. So I was thinking something between the two maybe. I do not handload (maybe a few years down the road, but for now it’ll be box ammo). The only things I’ve crossed off the list are magnums (except possibly one of the noslers), and 6.5 creed. My first thoughts are 7mm-08 or .280 rem. But I’m open to other options.

As for the rifle itself, I’m thinking 22”ish carbon six or proof carbon barrel. AG Composites privateer stock. And tikka action and bottom metal?

284win!

Brightside

Lil-Rokslider
Im in a similar spot. Going to chop the kimber 3006 bbl to 21" for handiness and build a 6.8 western for more range. Later add a 7mm08 and I'd feel good about my situation.

OP
JPeters218
Since you're not a handloader there's really no reason to build a custom rifle.
Just buy a tikka 270, and put a carbon fiber stock on there.. You're good to go for any critter out to 500 yards
I’m already good to go out to 500 w/ my current guns should I choose to shoot that far. Just want a new gun/ fun project. 280 seems to do pretty well with factory ammo, but also has a lot more to offer if I do decide to handload down the road.
(I shot a lot of .270 growing up. Great cartridge. Just want something different)