What Causes Elk To Come In Downwind?

ElkNut1

WKR
This DownWind phrase is used quite often during archery elk hunts. We all need to consider the wind no doubt on our approach in all phases whether it be treestand, ground blinds, spot & stalk or running & gunning elk. But those of us that primarily hunt elk on the ground & are calling elk to us how often do elk really try to come in downwind of your setups?

Why would an elk want to come in downwind? Maybe our calling causes suspicion or the elk caught our movement & are unsure so they let their noses be the judge!

My mind doesn't recall as much as I'd like but I've looked back at our last 15 - 20 archery elk/bulls & was very surprised at the conclusion. Do all or most elk approach downwind? What have you noticed?

ElkNut/Paul

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In my experience they have been much more likely to try to come in downwind earlier in the season, perhaps they're still a little more cautious then. Later in the season it hasn't mattered so much. They normally show up directly in line with where I first heard them.

GregB

WKR
Last year the first elk that came in from downwind, that was also the direction he was in relation to me and he came in on a string. The second time (I'm pretty sure this was the same animal) he started coming in from upwind below me. Then before I could see him he cut up above me in the timber and started to circle behind me to get the wind. I also think if it was the same animal from earlier that made him come in a little more cautious. That was my fist year archery hunting, so based on that they come in downwind 100% of time.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
No real experience calling elk but suspect there are strong similarities to calling whitetails. Whitetails are going to go where they are going without much regard to the wind imo unless they have a reason of which calling is one. It announces the presence of another animal and that triggers the instinct to try to get the wind for identification purposes.

Its either that or elk have a wind magnet in their forehead so no matter where you or they go the wind is pulled straight to their nose 😁

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think a lot of it has to do with how casual things are at the time, with the calling or the timing. Earlier they just want to know who or what they're dealing with. If you were to hear a bunch of noise in your neighborhood would you march right in to the noise to find out, or circle around while trying to figure it out incognito? I'm more of the incognito route unless you've really pissed me off, and then I'll charge right in regardless of who it is.

I would say its instinct. Elk spend 365 days a year surviving. Being downwind helps them identify any threat long before they can see them. It seems they bed, feed, and approach things while trying to pick up the scent of what is ahead or around. During September, I am assuming they also come in down wind to see if another bull has any hot cows with him. That my thoughts anyways. .

Very curious to hear the Elknut stats!

In my opinion, most animals (i.e. elk, coyotes, wt in my experience) want to safely identify/confirm what they are approaching, before they get there and will circle down wind. Others are so fired up that they charge in with no regard and run you over (the best hunts). Also, when an animal hangs up, I can usually find an obvious problem with my set-up.

Well if you had a nose that let you know you were walking in to a hot chick at a club with " Ode De Amour " perfume or a stinky @ss guy that is hot, sweaty, been rolling in mud and pissing all over himself, what would you do?

IdahoHntr

WKR
I find that elk travel with the wind blowing in their faces as much as possible. I don't think its any different when coming in to a calling setup, if they can get the wind in their favor it helps them feel comfortable. There are a lot of factors here including time of year, pressure, age of the bull, topography, what other elk are around, etc. Under the right circumstances a bull could come right in, but any combination of the above could make him a little more cautious.

Whether he is checking to see if the cow is hot; trying to see if there is a bull there that he knows will kick his butt; or he has been called to before and wants to make sure he isn't dealing with a hunter, I think bulls have plenty of reasons to try to come in downwind as much as possible. Of course, find a way to make him real mad and he will forget all of that and be there on a line.

Kilboars

WKR
I'm going to go with, it depends on his sense of urgency. If its early season with no hot cows he may try to check the wind if he can't get a visual. If it's middle of the rut and he thinks there's a hot cow with a younger bull he may just come in on a line. IMO

pnash17

FNG
I typically see them come in down wind if they initially come in and don't see what they're expecting and then they swing around down wind.

Morrid7

FNG
Bulls definitely prefer coming in down wind in my experience. I agree with reasons already stated. I try to use the terrain whenever possible to prevent or deter them from approaching from down wind, but terrain is rarely ideal for doing so. Calling and moving is another strategy I use to make it difficult for them to approach down wind, but that requires a persistent or impatient bull to keep pursuing and finally give up trying to get down wind of me.

Young bulls aren’t as picky about their approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's genetic selection.

The ones that that didn't are dead.

I really do think that as hunters we select for different traits. It's an unintentional culling and trait selection.

elkduds

WKR
IME elk believe their noses more than their eyes or ears. Because of their preference for looping downwind, I usually approach them rather than them approaching me. That gives me a small chance to work the wind to my advantage.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks folks, good thoughts there!

I have a few findings as well that I've noticed over the years!

I find aggressive bulls rarely worry about the wind direction, they come the shortest route to the calling once riled! Anytime we are working bugling bulls they are so convinced you are another elk/bull/cow then the wind is inconsequential to them. As long as we do our part & are not seen or winded it's advantage hunter.

We rarely call to elk in openings, we wait to get them in the cover or dark timber areas, this avoids most types of detection for us!

Of course we are referring to Calling Situations here where you want the elk coming to you. Sure there are occasions I go to them but that's a different subject.

Reasons elk come in downwind!

1 - Suspicion is top of the list! The hunter has raised suspicion in some way shape or form.

2 - Sounds used that don't fit the encounter.

3 - Challenging bulls that are not yet aggressive.

4 - Bad setups, elk get to a spot out of range & do not see what they feel they should.

5 - The hunter moves even the slightest & is seen, it only takes a slight movement to focus attention on yourselves that causes this apprehension.

6 - Silent bulls, they like sneaking in & many will use the wind if at all possible on their approach. Take that out of the equation if possible, force them to come in where obstructions impede the use of the wind, this can help.

With things as this in mind it can help reduce those bulls calling the shots & coming in downwind on us. I would safely estimate that 85%+ bulls we locate, move in on & call the rest of the way do not use the wind, they come in on a string or very close to it. Just a small handful do not. Blind/Cold calling setups can be one of the biggest culprits where elk sneak in silent.

Whether you locate a Lazy bed bugling bull or a hot bull with hot cows work them up to a fired up state & the odds raise considerably they will come the shortest route. Good Setups are a Huge part of the equation towards success! As a Runner & Gunner of bulls we enjoy the luxury of bulls coming straight at us. Too, the Slow Play Sequence on less aggressive bulls has been a huge key in working up those bulls who do not want to bugle at first!

ElkNut/Paul

Great topic. My own conclusions are based off my experiences and have allowed me to throw caution to the wind. I've had elk come in or approach me from all directions during all phases of the rut in LE and OTC units regardless of wind direction. Some live, some don't ;)

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
"Experience," -- Absolutely!

That's the beauty of Forums as this! Those of us with years of experience in calling elk do our best to share things as in DownWind Elk encounters! I've been in on over 1000 call ins of bulls so I do my best in sharing real world results so you don't have to error as I have, or at least reduce your chance of erring! (grin)

1st - Bottom line in most encounters is Aggressive Bulls throw caution to the wind as long as you have a good tight setup & they come in on a string or the shortest route where there's few obstacles to negotiate.

2nd - Bulls that slip in silent or ones that become suspicious are more apt to use the wind to their benefit to reduce stepping into a threatening situation. With these basic thoughts we can now setup accordingly & have the advantage in most encounters.

Last year we took 9 OTC public land bulls, 8 came straight in to us.

Some bulls are fired up & defensive on contact, this means they either responded to our location bugle or were bugling on their own in a protective/defensive manner, this is an aggressive bull, he generally is a bull with cows.

Other bulls with much less emotion or intensity to their bugle need to have their temps raised, that's up to us as hunters. (Slow Play can do this) we work them until they elevate their bugles showing those aggressive tones. Once we've achieved this they will now commit & could care less about wind direction. So setting the stage is very important to attract nearly every bull, it's a challenge but a hoot in doing so!

ElkNut/Paul