What choke and ammo combo are you running for what effective killing range?

Looking to see what chokes and what specific ammo you guys are running for turkey and what effective killing range that is getting you? Looking to maximize my new benelli 12g pump.

Thanks!

kloppy

FNG
Jeb's headhunter .560 choke w/ apex turkey ninja 8.5's. I could easily kill one at 60 yds w/ that setup if I wanted but 60 is beyond my personal limit.

When I'm feeling pretentious I'll break out the side by side with 2.5 inch paper shells.

Killed a tom at 50 paces a couple weeks ago with the full choke (I believe it's 0.695) that came with my 12 ga Benelli Nova and a Remington Nitro Turkey 3-1/2" #4.

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
Pure Gold .670, Longbeard #5 or #6 probably kill as far as I'd want. Patterned out to 70 yards

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Kicks Gobblin Thunder .660 patterns out pretty well to 60 yards with Nitro turkey 3” #4s

Biggie

FNG
20 gauge m2 with carlson longbeard choke and #6 longbeards. Puts 120-130 in a 10" circle at 40yds which is as far as i'd shoot 6s. Have had two of those loads not fire though so I may be moving to TSS as there isn't another lead load that will get me those numbers.

Tod osier

WKR
Lot of variation here. I was always under the impression that lead 6's pooped out at about 40 and lead 5's at 50. I'd love some information to the contrary.

I do most of my hunting in a state that requires 7 1/2s or larger. For my 935 I use 2 1/2 ounces of 7 1/2 TSS through an Indian Creek and that produces plenty dense patterns in excess of 70 yards, although I haven't tested it on birds that far. In my Montefeltro 20 gauge I shoot federal 1 1/2 ounce of TSS 7s through an Indian Creek and it has solid 50 yard pattern density. Wish I could shoot smaller shot, but I can't.

Djacker

WKR
Standard full chock that came with my Benelli SBE2 #9 TSS. longest shot was 62 yards. I get 200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

CJF

WKR
What do you want your max range to be? If your okay with 60 yards get any reputable choke manufacturer with 3-1/2"Long Beard XR....just reach out to the manufacturer and ask which constriction they recommend with that shell. If you want your max range to be greater than 60 yards then I'd suggest getting a TSS shotshell and again reach out to the choke tube manufacturer and ask which constriction they suggest with TSS.

My reasoning is that Long Beard XR will kill them just as dead at 60 as the TSS at a fraction of the cost.....beyond 60 and you start to see a big advantage shooting TSS.

If your chasing the 75-85 yard range (which is completely possible), just know that you have to shoot a scope or red dot and you will have a hard time hitting a gobblers head at 25 yards with that kind of setup....and you may want to stick to Jebs or Indian Creek

Also remember that every gun will shoot a bit differently with every choke and every shell. No two are exactly the same, so you have to pattern and practice.

To answer your question I shoot a 20 ga. Rem Pump. Indian Creek .555 with TSS reloads and am very comfortable with 55 yards.

Erict

WKR
I like the challenge of calling them in closer, so I keep shots to 50 yards and closer. This also helps keep a tighter group with less chance of pellets in the breast meat. Never had a problem with my 870 with Rem Turkey Super Full choke using Federal 3" 1 7/8 oz in #5 shot.

good luck!