What Chronograph do you use?

I have a Caldwell Ballistic precision. Originally bought it for archery but have been using it for the last year or so while I learned to reload.

It’s seems that when I’m shooting 3 shot groups of my reloads, it often times seems to have one velocity off from the other two. For example yesterday it recorded: 2756, 2707, 2706. Then for the next set of reloads, it recorded 2751, 2753 and 2770. A past example would also be, 2650, 2575 and 2549 but I’m thinking the gun didn’t like that powder because high ES was typical (such as 2540,2528 and 2455)

These spreads make it difficult to know if my loading procedure needs to be improved or if it’s the chronograph just picking up faulty readings.

I’ve considered a magneto speed but often times I shoot with a suppressor and their more economic version doesn’t work on suppressors. If I was to purchase the more expensive magneto speed, not sure if that would impact my grouping that I’m testing at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
Spend the money on the higher end Magnetospeed. I bought that one for thicker barrels and it has only missed 1 shot in the untold number of shots over it. Yes it will change point of impact but doesn't seem to bother how bullets group. I used to own a Caldwell one (forget the model) and it misread at least 1 or more shots per session...bad data is as useless as no data.

Your alternative is the LabRadar but they are pricey. Personally I wish I would have gone this route because it can measure shots from a variety of firearms and archery equipment without affecting POI.

fatbacks

WKR
I started with the cheap magnetospeed and then I traded up for e expensive magnetospeed and then sold that and bought a LabRadar.

If you’re at all like me and know that you should buy once and cry once, just get the LabRadar hahah! I love it and haven’t looked back

OP
T
Spend the money on the higher end Magnetospeed. I bought that one for thicker barrels and it has only missed 1 shot in the untold number of shots over it. Yes it will change point of impact but doesn't seem to bother how bullets group. I used to own a Caldwell one (forget the model) and it misread at least 1 or more shots per session...bad data is as useless as no data.

Your alternative is the LabRadar but they are pricey. Personally I wish I would have gone this route because it can measure shots from a variety of firearms and archery equipment without affecting POI.

When you said misread, do you mean it would read “error” some erroneous reading

MThuntr

WKR
When you said misread, do you mean it would read “error” some erroneous reading

completely failed to read the velocity and spit out either a number that was way too high by thousand of fps, way too low, or actually state "error". Getting thing a safe distance away from the muzzle was also a pain and I once blasted off the little plastic reflector screen things on top because it was too close (my fault for that one)

The one error I got with my magnetospeed was due to a low battery which was annoying because it was my fault

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Currently using Magnetospeed. Hasn’t failed me yet so not much need to spend money on something else

cooperjd

WKR
I just bought a magnetospeed to test velocity and pressures of hammer bullets. Since I’m only doing that I’m not worried about groups or poi.

When I can I borrow my buddy’s labradar. That thing is the bees knees. If he didn’t have one I’d probably save up to buy my own. If you’re grouping and getting velocity data it can’t be beat.

rayporter

WKR
90% will be very satisfied with the MS because most shooters only need to get 5 or 10 shots across it and then take it off. the only draw back is a POI change on some rifles.

about 1% will be ok with an optical unit that you have to walk down range with and adjust to your bore. they still work and very few will be off, ever. it is just the pain of setting them up, especially on a hot range. if you are alone on the range it is a little less of a problem.

for the rest it is LR all the way.

OP
T
90% will be very satisfied with the MS because most shooters only need to get 5 or 10 shots across it and then take it off. the only draw back is a POI change on some rifles.

about 1% will be ok with an optical unit that you have to walk down range with and adjust to your bore. they still work and very few will be off, ever. it is just the pain of setting them up, especially on a hot range. if you are alone on the range it is a little less of a problem.

for the rest it is LR all the way.

While setting up the optical units is annoying it’s ok with me because I shoot at a spot that rarely sees other people.

If they are accurate, I’m not sure how much I’ll gain by getting a different, easier to use chronograph like MS or LR

It’s it typical for the average reloading to have a few velocities together and another one that is 50-100fps different?

rayporter

WKR
50 -100 is an awful lot.

i know 2 guys that thought that their chronograph was bad because they had velocities like that and when they sent them in they were good. it was their load.

OP
T
50 -100 is an awful lot.

i know 2 guys that thought that their chronograph was bad because they had velocities like that and when they sent them in they were good. it was their load.

I agree and don’t want to blame my equipment but it’s hard not to when I create each round with the highest level of precision I can muster (powder weight within .1 grains, seating depth within .003”, shoulder bump within .002”)

Only thing I’m not doing in annealing at this time. But those FPS readings were done on the second and third time brass has been fired so not sure how much an annealing would’ve helped

rayporter

WKR
could there be another reason the chrony has wide velocity readings? sun? too close to the muzzle?

shaking from muzzle blast? dirt?

you might go to a big range on a busy day and try to get a comparison of your chrony with some one else shooting.

if you are close i will let you set up with my LR to compare.

OP
T
could there be another reason the chrony has wide velocity readings? sun? too close to the muzzle?

shaking from muzzle blast? dirt?

you might go to a big range on a busy day and try to get a comparison of your chrony with some one else shooting.

if you are close i will let you set up with my LR to compare.

Thanks for the offer but we look to be several states away, bummer

It could be anyone of those things(one reason I’m considering other chronograph). I typically shoot prone and put the chronograph on the ground in front of the muzzle by approx 15’