What clothing do you take?

HCH88

FNG
What do you take with you to the high-country? from socks to outer wear, lets see your lists!

right now im in college and money is tight so im slowly piecing together my gear, but i bring 2 pairs of merino socks, 2 pairs of compression shorts, a pair of assents. (i don't wear lower base layer) an under armor base for the top a light camo long sleeve shirt, a fleece zip up and a lightish weight rain jacket.

I just got a good deal for a mountain hardware down jacket at 11 oz. for nights and as an insulation layer for when it gets cold. im looking to get more merino for my base layers and a soft shell outer jacket and UL rain-gear.

Right now here is what I am running for the CO high country:

KUIU

185 Merino Top
250 Merino Top
Guide Vest
Guide Jacket
Spindrift (primaloft) -- great for a pillow too
Attack Pants
185 Merino Beanie
Guide gloves
2 pairs of Hiker Smartwool socks
2 pairs of underwear

It sounds like a lot now that I am writing it all down. Early season Mule Deer hunting I am not running any bases on my lower half. Moving around and warmer temps I don't usually have any issues and I can handle a little chill early in the morning because it won't last long once I see that first buck!!!

OP
HCH88

HCH88

FNG
how does the Kuiu work in very green environments? I've been looking into getting some but im worried ill be "glowing" in the evergreens. I noticed on there website the vast majority of the pictures are either in the rocks, sage, or in the snow...

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
If your looking to get more merino wool I would look hard at the First Lite line. Great stuff and a great fit.

Sitka make a great windproof soft shell called the Jetstream.

I see your from WA.....it rains up there right? Most of the UL stuff isn't that durable. Sitka has a new UL called the Dewpoint that is as light as Cabelas Space set and is more durable but your going to pay highly for it.

OP
HCH88

HCH88

FNG
ya ill check first lite out! I mainly only pack in for elk in sept. so rain usually isn't a real issue where i hunt but that Dewpoint would come in handy later in the year!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kuiu 185 and 250 base layers
U/A Boxers
Smartwool 2 pair of socks light and heavy
Sitka Kelvin Jacket
Attack Pants or Sitka Pant
Kuiu Guide Jacket or Sitka Downpour depending on forecast

As to KUIU. I live in Spokane and hunt the jungles of North Idaho and Nwest Mt. where it is very lush. The KUIU actuallly blends/breaks up your outline much better than i anticipated with the color pattern chosen. Additionally the KUIU attack pant is the most comfortable pant i have ever worn!
magnum775
[/URL][/IMG]

Lots of different combos for the different environments I hunt in, but a general list would look like

1. Merino wool as base layer
2. Merino wool or down as a mid layer
3. Synthetic insulation as an outer layer

Among other companies I use gear by First Lite, KUIU, Westcomb, Marmot, Patagonia, Go-Lite, and Mountain Hardware.

Campo

FNG
Depends on the current weather and future forecast.

That said, I generally am sporting Patagonia cap 3 or cap 4 baselayers, topped off with a Predator Poly outerlayer (green deception or brown deception depending on environment), and a Predator fleece vest to keep the core toasty.

In reserve I have some quality Cabelas rain gear (no, I am serious, the stuff is pretty nice. Not too light though :() and a down jacket (depending on forecast) in case things get really cold.

All in all, I can't complain!

I run a mix of clothes, my base is smartwool, merino. I like the older sitka pants, Exefficio boxers,various fleece jackets. I'll pack a down jacket for the high country without the constant wet weather. For rain gear I use the older Sitka stuff. For my feet is liners, smartwool socks and Meindl boots.

I would like to try some of the KUIU but haven't got there yet.