What combo of 2 to rule them all?

j_mcrane

FNG
Well, I’ve gone round and round on this purchase until I can’t tell my elbow from belly button hole. I’m looking for a combo of two bags (day and multi day.) 35-45 litter and 80-90 litter. Load hauler for both. I’ve looked for a year reading and considering.

Ideally I’d get a MR sawtooth and beartooth. But damn, I just don’t want to pay for a second mt frame and I was hoping if I’d wait long enough, they’d release bag only options sigh.

I’ve considered a stone glacier avail and 5900.

I’ve toyed with kuiu pro 2300 and 6000.

I’m limited by living in Canada too. It a pain to deal with shipping and returns. So thoughts? What combo would you get? Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My choice is close to your capacities. After going through a bunch, of packs/bags/frames, I ended up with a kifaru lite frame with woodsman and reckoning bags. Also have a guide lid and grab-it o add versatility to both. Still probably not the ideal combo but they work for me for now. Sorry, can't help you with the mr bags you listed. Good luck in your search.

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an Eberlestock M5 from back when Cabela's Canada had Hometown Heroes and that's my day bag, and I love it but I wouldn't pay full price for one.

I had a Tatonka that was a great hauler but I finally sold it and bought a Kifaru. Thankfully I had some very good friends drive it across the border for me. She used her womanly magic and they didn't even charge the 5% GST which was awfully nice.

rootacres

WKR
Im sure Kifaru and Stone glacier make nice packs, I don't have any experience with them. Ive heard good things about EXO too. The MR packs are very nice but I am with you. Not being able to buy each bag individually is a bit annoying. You could buy the Beartooth or Marshal and then a Pintler separate. I haven't carried anything heavy for a long distance yet but the new KUIU Pro suspension system is nice. I have the Pro 6000 pack, I like the versatility and the extra bag options are endless pretty much.

marktole

WKR
You're definitely suffering from analysis paralysis.

That being said. Kifaru reckoning and a 22 mag.

One that covers you in the 5 day plus range, and one that is a daypack/overnight size.

I bought a beartooth and a sawtooth and sold one frame. It was expensive upfront but I probably ended up paying $250 to get the second bag when it was all done and I sold my pintler and will sell my Metcalf to cover the costs.

I like the new packs but if I didn’t want to go that route I would buy a Metcalf and get a bag only Pintler. I bet you can get them pretty cheap here soon as they are going to release them on the new frame soon.

JohnnyB

WKR
I bought a beartooth and a sawtooth and sold one frame. It was expensive upfront but I probably ended up paying $250 to get the second bag when it was all done and I sold my pintler and will sell my Metcalf to cover the costs.

I like the new packs but if I didn’t want to go that route I would buy a Metcalf and get a bag only Pintler. I bet you can get them pretty cheap here soon as they are going to release them on the new frame soon.

I have the Metcalf and Pintler and find myself pretty satisfied. You can never have to many packs though, so I hope to add the newer frames with bags to the lineup when the budget allows.

I don't see the need for two bags. I have a Kifaru Highcamp 7000 bag paired with a guide lid. Pack in, set up camp, empty nearly all the contents of bag, leave a few items (rain coat, kill kit, etc.) for day hunts in the bottom of bag, compress it down to nothingness, rest of my day hunt stuff can go in the lid with room to spare.

brsnow

WKR
Seek outside, I run Merlin/3500 peregrine, but their choice are endless really.

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
I know this post is slightly older, but may want to check out the SG 40/56. I did just order a fulcrum though, looks like it should do it all. SG avail is a little small in my opinion for a day bag.

Stone Glacier 5900, and don’t worry about the specialized day pack. It packs down really well when empty/lightly loaded. Just have to avoid filling up the available space with stuff on day outings.

Hard to believe no one has brought up EXO...EXO Mountain Gear makes one of the best packs on the market. Made in Idaho, and can ship to Canada. Their K2 frame with the 5500 pack is one I've run for a while and it's been great. Very comfortable, packs down small enough for a day pack, expands large enough for a 10 day backpacking hunt, and hauls meat better than any other pack I've owned (Eberlestock Just One, Tenzing TX). Their new K3 4800 model would be comparable.

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
my 2 bags are a 40/56 on an xcurve frame and a fulcrum on a tactical frame.

I just used the 40/56 on a Krux Evo frame. It worked well. Just looking for more room and a do it all pack, looks like the fulcrum should fit that role well. I still have to order a frame. Any reason you chose the tactical frame?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just used the 40/56 on a Krux Evo frame. It worked well. Just looking for more room and a do it all pack, looks like the fulcrum should fit that role well. I still have to order a frame. Any reason you chose the tactical frame?

when I got my fulcrum they didn’t make the light/ultralight frames. Just the tactical and the hunter. I also planned on using the pack sometimes for moose hunting so I wanted the extra strength/stiffness.