What degree sleeping bag in NE Alaska in Sept?

jb@work

FNG
My brother and I are headed north east of Fairbanks in mid September. The plan is to float the river until we find a big moose. One of the debates we are having is what degree rated sleeping bags to bring...Do we bring 20 degree synthetic bags or 0 degree synthetic? Any advice and/or input based on your own experiences would be greatly appreciated!!
JB

Wapiti1

WKR
0 degree. Its easier to cool down at night than warm up and you aren't concerned with a little extra weight. There is no advantage to a 20 degree bag for what you are looking to do.

Jeremy

The degree of the bag is a misnomer and you should be looking at the "Comfort Range" of the bag and also understand the quality of the sleeping pad is part of that comfort range. We provide either cots or Therma-Rest pads for our camp rentals. You can expect to see night time temps the mid 30's in early September (ANWR) and by the 20-25th which is the end of moose season the night time temps will be in the low teens for sure. Don't choose Down ever in Alaska because wet is a guarantee. 8-9 years ago I was on a float hunt in the Alaska Range and did a poor job with my dry bag and had a wet sleeping bag but it was synthetic and I was ok. Not warm but ok. Consider adding a bag liner for added comfort. I personally use a fleece liner and it adds 10+ degrees to the comfort range of my -10 degree bag.

Walt

Attachments

• 1412723043.png
    1412723043.png
    908.4 KB · Views: 79
  • img-0154_orig.jpg
    img-0154_orig.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 77

12ring

FNG
I'd consider the 0 degree to be on the safe side. That being said, in cold weather I often run a 20 degree bag plus my down puffy jacket, pants, and booties and find that comfortable.

What 0 degree synthetic bag are you using? Mountain Hardware Lamina is about the only decent synthetic I see. They used to have a bigger bag buts looks like that is discontinued. My bags are Western Mountaineering but I have been contemplating a synthetic for my moose hunt because of the wet.

NUGGET

WKR
0 degree bag. Down is fine. People really over play how dangerous it is in AK. Its almost comical....

AKDoc

WKR
I agree with the 0-10 degree bag in NE, especially if you sleep cold. I use a 15 (comfort rating), which is perfect for me in western Alaska in late September because I sleep hot.

I am in the field a lot up here. For many years I stayed with synthetic for the reasons mentioned, but I switched to treated down about six years ago. I was a bit nervous when I first did it, but not at all now. Down compresses so much better. That said, I am very compulsive in ensuring that my bag is well protected, e.g., water-proof compression stuff sack during transport, bomb-proof tent, air the bag out in good wx, etc. I have a synthetic insert that I can utilize if needed because s--t does happen...but I've never needed it. I also have a water-proof compression stuff sack with synthetic puffy jacket and pants and booties, which has always been with me...even during the synthetic bag days.

One last comment about down...you definitely need a good sleeping pad with R value.

Last edited:

AKBorn

WKR
0 degree bag. Down is fine. People really over play how dangerous it is in AK. Its almost comical....

It might be almost comical, right up until SH*T does hit the fan. Back in 2012 I took my girlfriend up to AK in September, so I missed my almost-annual fly-in hunt in the 40 Mile country for moose and caribou. It so happens they had some tough weather that fall, including sustained 60-70 mph winds; one camp experienced a microburst wind (top wind speeds were near 100 mph during the worst of the storm), that split their tepee wide open in the middle of the night, in a driving rainstorm. So they got out of their sleeping bags, and using headlamps in driving rain and sustained high winds, duct taped a tarp to a downed log and weathered out the rest of the night in their sleeping bags behind the tarp leanto. The winds were so strong that bush planes couldn't land for a few days; the best they could do was fly over and air drop another tent out of the plane.

During the same storm, 2 guys were camped on another ridge, and were in their tent. The wind took them and their tent and blew it partway down the side of the ridge! That would shrink my sphincter if it happened to me.

I take your point that sometimes it seems like the AK danger can sound overhyped; I think perhaps that is because when the bad does come in AK, it can REALLY come. Here's hoping neither you or I get to face a storm like the one above, while we're out in remote country.

It might be almost comical, right up until SH*T does hit the fan. Back in 2012 I took my girlfriend up to AK in September, so I missed my almost-annual fly-in hunt in the 40 Mile country for moose and caribou. It so happens they had some tough weather that fall, including sustained 60-70 mph winds; one camp experienced a microburst wind (top wind speeds were near 100 mph during the worst of the storm), that split their tepee wide open in the middle of the night, in a driving rainstorm. So they got out of their sleeping bags, and using headlamps in driving rain and sustained high winds, duct taped a tarp to a downed log and weathered out the rest of the night in their sleeping bags behind the tarp leanto. The winds were so strong that bush planes couldn't land for a few days; the best they could do was fly over and air drop another tent out of the plane.

During the same storm, 2 guys were camped on another ridge, and were in their tent. The wind took them and their tent and blew it partway down the side of the ridge! That would shrink my sphincter if it happened to me.

I take your point that sometimes it seems like the AK danger can sound overhyped; I think perhaps that is because when the bad does come in AK, it can REALLY come. Here's hoping neither you or I get to face a storm like the one above, while we're out in remote country.
But did their down sleeping bags not perform?

NUGGET

WKR

But was their life in danger? Those are stories about tents getting blown away or ripped up. But neither story were their lives in danger. I’ve spent a few unplanned nights in Alaska without shelter. It’s not life or death. It’s a night without a tent.

I’m not saying to go unprepared. But a guy doesn’t need to buy a bunch of gear etc. Most of what you currently hunt with will work in AK.

Lando

WKR
If you decide to go synthetic, take a look at the Wiggy's Super Light. It's pretty close to an actual zero degree bag.