What degree sleeping bag?

Im looking at upgradeing my sleeping bag. what degree bag would you recommend say from sept 1 through oct 15? For wy and co high country?

slim9300

WKR
15-20 degree as long as it's a high quality bag. (ie. Marmot, WM, Kifaru, etc.) 0 degree if you are going cheap. Trust me, there is a very noticeable difference between the two.

Rizzy

WKR
I would recommend a 0 degree bag.

You may end up hunting later in the season in the future, like if you draw a late hunt for example.

It can get down to 10 degrees in mid/ late September, it happened last year. It can snow in late September and early October,that happened the year before last. You can potentially be setting up on a layer of snow.

What sleeping pad are you using?

mdog

FNG
If you have to carry it then the weight is a factor. I use a 1# 6oz bag rated a 30 degrees and have used it Sept/Oct in Wyoming. Definately not warm enough sometimes so on come the socks, long underwear, balaclava, and puffy jacket as needed to be warm. Any clothing that you can comfortably sleep in can up the rating of your bag. None of the items are extras therefore you save weight on your sleeping system.

Craig4791

WKR
If you have to carry it then the weight is a factor. I use a 1# 6oz bag rated a 30 degrees and have used it Sept/Oct in Wyoming. Definately not warm enough sometimes so on come the socks, long underwear, balaclava, and puffy jacket as needed to be warm. Any clothing that you can comfortably sleep in can up the rating of your bag. None of the items are extras therefore you save weight on your sleeping system.

^^ This

I am running a 25* bag usually and will be trying out a 20* slick bag this year. When the temps start getting colder I will just wear my base layer in the bag or add a puffy if its getting real cold to up the bag rating.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I run a 40 degree Mummy bag North Face. Packs down tight. I also use a Primaloft coat and long underwear. I never get cold during the late fall early winter months. You really want to make sure you key in on a good quality sleeping mat. Thats where youll loose all your heat is if you have a low R value pad. I actually use a Ridge rest and a 2.5 inch thick 3.5 R Value REI stratus. This system keeps me plenty warm. My sleep system is a lot like my clothing system. Layer Layer. If I get cold I will put on my fleece hunting facemask hood gloves primaloft coat and throw my sleeping bag over my feet and legs. This keeps me plenty warm. I also run hot all the time anyway.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey Rodney how goes it bro. True story I now pack a knee brace after reading about your Colorado elk hunt.