What did I do right/wrong

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
What did I do right/wrong
I did some shooting yesterday. Prone over my pack @ 200 yards. First two groups looked like thisF0BB8D5F-FA3D-409F-AA46-C6604AC4570B.jpeg I moved .1mil up and .1mil left and I was shocked when I shot this
134933A7-0189-41BC-8EE8-2E2BD4DA1694.jpeg
My groups usually have that triangle pattern like the first two.
Swfa 3-9x40. I’m wondering if I have inconsistency with anchoring my face on the rifle.
I’m sure it’s something with my form.
I also shot at 380 before I left holding over with the mil dot. the dot is pretty big at that range and I can definitely see why guys are dialing. I was planning to practice both out to 400 but now I’m wondering if I should stick with what would be most precise (dialing).FBB6B92B-8B07-41A8-B43C-D98FA2968390.jpeg What range do y’all start dialing? 300? 400?
Any other tips for what I should make sure are in my mental checklist?
I’ve considered modifying my stock pack to have a specific anchor point like archery so there’s no question I’m in exactly the same spot with my face

Wapiti1

WKR
Yes, modify what you need to so you have a consistent cheek weld and head position. Double check that you have the diopter set correctly to focus the crosshair. If that is not focused correctly, you will induce parallax error that inconsistent head position will show.

As for your shooting, I would say, and I'm making some assumptions, that you just need more range time with that setup before making too many firm conclusions. Get used to the setup, and scope. I suspect your shooting will tighten up with practice. You're not way off.

As for dialing, on rifles that I dial with, I start at 100 yards. They are all sighted for 100. I might dial up for a 200 or even 300 yard zero and leave it there for snap shots that may present themselves, but the baseline is 100 yards. Anything past 300 and I'm looking to dial or use the reticle for holdover.

Jeremy

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dialing is simple. It is ever so slightly more precise.

Practice both.

If the mil dot is too big, use the outer edge and vertical line.

Small groups can be a statistical anomaly. I wouldn't put too much in that unless it is repeatable. The stars aligned for it, is very likely scenario.

Next time you are out, take some video from the bolt side of the rifle while you shoot. Post that up, and you'll get far better feedback. Its hard to say what to do.

If you fit the rifle to you, really customize it, then getting in the same position is easy. I don't mean the stock pack, but breaking it down completely. Rebuilding it so the reach to trigger, neck is relaxed, scope fit to your eye. The video of you can help with that. Ryan Cleckner has a video that is decent.

Wrench

WKR
Think about dwell time of the bullet, free recoil and optical variables.

You want the rifle to remain planted or as close to planted for as long as it takes the bullet to be free. During that time you want no outside influence on the barrel.

And lastly, it all needs to be repeatable.

There are a lot of guys who build fantastic shooting systems and are not good at improvised field positions. Simple things like rigid bipod on hard surfaces screw them up. I personally love to shoot off my pack.
....because it is almost exactly the same regardless of where it sits....on a stump, the ground, the hood.....it matters not.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Think about dwell time of the bullet, free recoil and optical variables.

You want the rifle to remain planted or as close to planted for as long as it takes the bullet to be free. During that time you want no outside influence on the barrel.

And lastly, it all needs to be repeatable.

There are a lot of guys who build fantastic shooting systems and are not good at improvised field positions. Simple things like rigid bipod on hard surfaces screw them up. I personally love to shoot off my pack.
....because it is almost exactly the same regardless of where it sits....on a stump, the ground, the hood.....it matters not.
Excellent points. And, yes, so much is about building a repeatable position. If a shooter isn't practicing field positions, then that shooter can't trust it.

Your comment explains the point why I shoot the same positions and practice them in the field. I learned I can use a couple tripod positions for the vast majority of my shots and I practice them.